Never learned stick

I graduate college end of September. I'm gonna move back to the bay area from Portland. I'll be vehicle-less, homeless, insurance-less. I've been on here for a while and read alot. I know I want a 510 still but not knowing stick really has me worried. There's the off chance I find a 2 door auto... but I wouldn't count on it.

I've seen 510's lately sell for cheap to pretty reasonable around here and northern california. Is there anyone that learned on their own manual transmission vehicle and not some other vehicle? I'm concerned I'll break something or wear the clutch(?) down. I understand the mechanics and think I could pick it up quickly.

Anyways, I just wanted to hear some feedback or opinions on learning stick vs. auto.

Also, what's your opinion on taking an initial loan out for a 510 to come along and purchase before traveling back to Cali and taking it with me?

:confused:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm currently working on getting an automatic 510 wagon on the road, dunno if you are interested in wagons.

It doesn't take too long to learn how to drive a stick. Maybe a week to really get it down and from there its just practice.

I learned on a brand new car I had just bought. If anything did happen I could always take it back under warrenty. I did also learn a bit on my first 510 but not really enough to drive a stick. It wasn't till I got the new car did I seriously learn how to drive it.

If you need a loan to buy a 510, you aren't ready to buy a 510. Thats just my opinion tho. Most 510's depending on condition (usually OK condition) range from $1000-2000. If that is out of your price range it might be a good idea to wait and save up.

learning a stick isnt all that hard to do. i learned at 13 behind the wheel of a 510 circle track race car. my dad had to give me a quick talk on how to do it right before they let me on the track. one thing i also found that helped me when i was still younger was to put a stiffer throttle return spring on it. it helps give you a little bit more control on the throttle easier.

I graduate college end of September. I'm gonna move back to the bay area from Portland. I'll be vehicle-less, homeless, insurance-less.

1. You've got a lot of other priorities to worry about before owning a 40-year old car. You don't need an old car to get you fired because you can't get to work on time. Showin' up is half the battle.

2. Wait til you get back to the Bay Area. Stupid to buy a car that may die on your way home.

3. You haven't mentioned if you know one end of a wrench from the other. If not, or barely, you want to buy as complete and problem-free a 510 as you can, which means $3000 or higher. Again, get a job and a place (or join the military) before a car.

1. You've got a lot of other priorities to worry about before owning a 40-year old car. You don't need an old car to get you fired because you can't get to work on time. Showin' up is half the battle.

2. Wait til you get back to the Bay Area. Stupid to buy a car that may die on your way home.

3. You haven't mentioned if you know one end of a wrench from the other. If not, or barely, you want to buy as complete and problem-free a 510 as you can, which means $3000 or higher. Again, get a job and a place (or join the military) before a car.

I agree with this completely. :thumbup:

I can still find 2dr 510 shells for free (don't ask me how). So trust, me 510's will be around for many more years.

All good points. I already have a job, but yeah I suppose it would make sense to get settled first. I know Cali 510s cost more for some reason, alot of the time.

As far as wrenching i have an aptitude for electronics, but not really mechanics. I, however have faith in myself, and have read of many people at the verge of giving up but sticking it out - I've been in that situation with my jeep and persisted.

I'll hold out till I have cash in hand, not a loan. Thanks guys.