looking for 4 speed for 73 510

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK sorry about that. I live in Upland,CA but my car is at my buddies house in Apple Valley getting a KA swap. I will have to go pick up the tranny and drive shaft.  Let me see what I can do, maybe my buddy can bring it down the hill for me.

I have one from a '73 620.  Not sure if they are the same.

The early 620 (with L16 motor) 4 speed should work just fine. I does however have the same 1st, 2nd, 3rd as the 510 goon. Same length, speedometer location, mounting points and shifter location.

So I'm picking up the trans from DREWSDIME tomorrow. Today I had some time and since I planned to remove the trans I dicided to remove the back end of the trans, where the shift rods are, to see if I could find the issue I was having with it not going into 3rd or 4rth gear. I found the issue was due to the reverse sensor having frozen up. It created enough fonce against the shift rod to lock it up and not allow for shifting those two gears. That simple, I just removed the sensor and ground down the frozen tip and whala, works again. Now I have no reverse light but it shifts with no problems, will get a replacement sensor later. Beign the first time taking the tranny apart I found the reason for such shifter slop internally. I will try to fix this issue on the other tans. Keep everyone posted on how that works out. Thanks to Drew for the trans and the rest for the offers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.