'78 200sx - sweet car found in Utah, still needs fix

I'm pretty sure the vacuum hose from the dizzy advance goes to a vacuum port right at the base of the carb, not a port on the intake manifold. I think both Hitachis and Weber have a port in the carb base.There is some detail I can't remember about when the throttle plate opens, the advance gets the best vacuum at that location (or something more or less like that. Someone who really knows this stuff can maybe clarify).

I just spent 15 or 20 minutes trying to find a timing mark on the front pulley of my 200SX L20b. I found something, but I'm not sure it is the correct thing. My car has AC, so has a double crank pulley with a slightly larger diameter pulley in front and a smaller dia. one next to the timing cover. I found an shallow notch on the back of the front, larger pulley. The notch goes down the back face of the pulley toward the rim of the smaller, rear pulley. The notch is not anything like the large notch in the pulley of the L20b in my '72 510 (I think this engine came from a 610 pickup). If you can find a notch in the same location on your 200SX pulley I'd like to know. What I can't find on my car is any sort of pointer on the front cover to match the vague mark on the pulley to. I may have to take the bottom splash pan off to be able to see up in front of the engine.

Len

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very interesting

yes, this car has A/C also

I'll look for the notch you mention. This car does have a little plate bolted to the block next to the pulley to align timing marks against..

Any idea which vacuum port on the carb? The carb has three ports on it I can recall, two that just stick out towards the drivers side of the car, and one that sticks out and bends forward towards the front of the car. I think I have that one hooked up the same way I saw it previously on the car, to a hose around the charcoal canister.

I'll take some more pics too..

Oh yeah, tried to give car to my roommate but it was FAAAAAR from being ready for a non-car-guy to drive.

Got it back to the shop, I've given up on the stock hitachi carb anyway, Weber 32/36 is on its way!..

In the middle of installing Weber, crazy stock emissions stuff!!

wow

Completely eliminated the bolt-on section of the intake manifold with the EGR stuff (and PCV valve) and all that. Plugged the exhaust side of the EGR, welded pipe up. Making a flat steel plate to bolt onto the side of intake manifold where all EGR section used to be.. I just need to drill a bigger hole in the plate where the PCV valve plumbs into the manifold and I need a pipe-tap so I can thread the plate for a PCV valve..

Then after I figure out a custom throttle cable attachment setup, this Weber carb is going to rock so hard!

This Weber install on the Datsun and all the stock emissions crap is even worse than the Weber 32/36 install I did on my old '83 Subaru Brat with the ea81 engine!

smog pump, jesus christ..

20130424_194816_zps4a531fa4.jpg

20130424_194822_zps0f5eb415.jpg

20130424_194808_zps95647561.jpg

20130424_194835_zpsdbfc720d.jpg

hehe, front inner-fender area and radiator support welded in from a blue car.. Pretty good, from when the car was probably less than 10 years old.

Sweet carb, and I love eliminating all that stock BS from this vehicle in the world permanently! UN-needed/unwanted by everybody in this phase of the vehicle's life.

You like my custom fabrication with just a battery drill and 4 1/2" angle grinder to make a full EGR block off plate, tapped with 1/4" pipe tap for brass fittings and PCV valve?

by hand, hell ya, real work

Its close, today just finish fabbing custom throttle cable holder bracket

• Like 1

He loves the weber, seems to be performing pretty great! (although we still haven't properly set the ignition timing)

Hey have a question, any chance gasoline would damage any rubber components of the distributor vacuum advance diaphragm? For real things were hooked up wrong with the hitachi carb, and when I removed it the whole vacuum line going to the distributor vacuum advance it was full of gas! I used compressed air to get all the gas dried out of there..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TajMan, 

I just found you thread.  Very interesting.  Hope the car is doing better now.  

Do you think it's possible for me to take a look at the car?  Not to buy or anything, I'm just interested in such a rare Datsun.  

I plan to come to SLC in August.  Please let me know if you don't mind.  Thanks, 

NosHero from the bay area

Hi TajMan, 

I just found you thread.  Very interesting.  Hope the car is doing better now.  

Do you think it's possible for me to take a look at the car?  Not to buy or anything, I'm just interested in such a rare Datsun.  

I plan to come to SLC in August.  Please let me know if you don't mind.  Thanks, 

NosHero from the bay area

Wow, that would be awesome! I'm messaging you with more details

• 2 months later...

Got some needed rare parts on eBay!

-gauge cluster - we'll see if speedo works

-driver's side power mirror! - good with original glass! Well, scrap my repair job pretty much.. but that's better.

-Datsun 200sx side emblem

At this point, seriously thinking about cutting/welding on the hood to adapt hood latch style from a newer car onto the Datsun. We have to get something that will work, have not had luck at all with the factory style latch.

At this point, seriously thinking about cutting/welding on the hood to adapt hood latch style from a newer car onto the Datsun. We have to get something that will work, have not had luck at all with the factory style latch.

what issues are you having? its a very simple mechanism 

A big part of the problem is definitely alignment, always hard with 2 cars welded together.. the hood was from the same blue car which was the donor for the front-left corner of the car's body.

More hours today spent struggling with the latch, still no luck.

I can actually adapt to a newer latch style off a 95-99 Subaru Legacy, top piece will bolt right to the hood just need to drill some holes in the correct spot for Datsun hood mounting, then just a reasonably small amount of cutting/fabrication to the radiator support area for a mount of the latch itself.

Going to try that next, I'm a self-made fabricator its what I do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm just finishing this car now finally, FINALLY got the title back from a friend's friend. I'm doing some final bodywork and re-painting it red. I got a new Stereo in it, required a bit of hacking in the dash but the entire interior has been a bit hacked up in the past anyway.

I'm also attempting to Chip Foose the bumpers slightly, 2" into the body further on the rear and 1 1/4" in on the front

• 2 months later...