Need Help! unclogging fuel line from gas tank to filter

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you need a new filter, and if you can get an air hose and blow it back to the tank might help. Although the smartest thing would be to clean your tank and other things since its been sitting for 8yrs. Last thing you want to do is screw up more things than already messed up on the car.

you' ll most likely need to clean the tank & replace the fuel line.

You could try removing the filter, take off the gas cap and connect an air hose from a compressor and try blowing the line clear back to the fuel tank. Wear safety glasses. 

• Like 1

hahaha what he said 

Maybe you need a new filter, and if you can get an air hose and blow it back to the tank might help. Although the smartest thing would be to clean your tank and other things since its been sitting for 8yrs. Last thing you want to do is screw up more things than already messed up on the car.

When I was resurrecting my found-behind-a-barn 510, the fuel hard line to the tank was plugged. I unhooked the rubber lines on both ends, sprayed carb cleaner into the hard line from both ends, let it soak for awhile, then blew through the line with compressed air. I hooked a couple of feet of rubber fuel hose to the front of the hard line and stuck the hose into a glass jar. Then when I blew from the back of the hard line, it would catch what was coming out of the hard line. I had to do the carb cleaner soak and blow several times. Eventually no more brown colored gunk was coming through the line. I ran the 510 for a couple of years without cleaning the tank. I had to take the fuel gauge sender unit out of the tank and clean it with carb cleaner to get it to work, but it can be removed with the tank in the car.

I eventually took the tank out and cleaned it with acetone, cause I was paranoid "something" might happen, but I'm not sure I really needed to. You might clean your line out, drain the old gas out of the tank, and try running it. Depending on how dirty your tank is, you may get by without taking it out.

Len

similar situation but my truck only sat for 7 years.

the filter would not stop clogging, which means i eventually had to drop & clean the tank.

you can do it at home with different kinds of acid/etc but after going that route id much rather

take it somewhere to have them clean it. i hear radiator shops can do this.

i didnt have compressed air so i had to put my mouth on the metal line and blow, you should

be able to hear gurgling in your tank if theres any gas in there.

I suggest pulling the tank and getting it cleaned/coated by a radiator shop. I just did this with my B210. The PO told me it had sat for about 4 years. When we pulled it to dump the gas, the gas was cola brown and has small bits of rust in it.

I didn't pull the tank on my 620 when I got it and the filter ended up clogged. Even after replacing it it ran horribly, ended up replacing the carb with a weber and that fixed it. If I had it to do over I would have dropped the tank and replaced the lines before ever driving the truck.

Edit: Clean and coat at the radiator shop cost me $80 for the B210 tank.

oh yeah thats something else. even with a new fuel filter in place, smaller rust particles can still reach the carb and then clog the carb jets/etc up as well

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new fuel filter, pump, and changed all the hoses already, once I get the radiator fixed at the shop il use a compressor and blow everything tho the tank then get the tank cleaned, thanks (:

I did this one time on one of my cars and it worked fine. Good luck.

Eddie