Sending Unit

superc_1

I've been looking and calling around all day trying to find a sending unit for my 1977 620 truck? Anybody have a line on were a person can find that animal? Can a person fit the one in the tank? Or does anybody have one laying around for sale. I haveing my tank coated and I want get my gauge working inside the cab. Thanks for any help!!!:fu:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking and calling around all day trying to find a sending unit for my 1977 620 truck? Anybody have a line on were a person can find that animal? Can a person fit the one in the tank? Or does anybody have one laying around for sale. I haveing my tank coated and I want get my gauge working inside the cab. Thanks for any help!!!:fu:

Unplug the sender at the tank and ground the Yellow wire to the Black wire. Turn the ignition key on and the gage should read FULL. If it doesn't, then the sender isn't the cause. Either there isn't voltage on the Yellow wire or the Black wire isn't connected to ground. Jumper the Yellow to a good ground. If the gage now reads Full then the Black ground wire is broken.

Mike, thanks I'll check that out when I drop the tank. I have a spare tank and I'm getting that red coated. I just want to get everthing ready so I only have to do this once. My old tank has a leak and I can only put 8 gal. of gas in it, so I figure its got a lot of junk in the bottom.

dnshftr, thanks i'll keep that in mind. the main thing is i want the gas gauge to work, period!!! I've had to carry a gas can around since I got the truck. It gets old running out of gas and sniffing gas all the time. Well sniffing ain't so bad but at $4.00 dollares a gallon I hate to see it pouring on the ground!

EC521, thanks for the tip! I'll check that out when I pull the tank. The tank I'm having fixed had one but I can see that the little wire thats the resistor has a break in it and I don't think I can soldier that? or can I?

So the new tank has an obviously bad sender AND your gas gage (with the old tank) doesn't work?

Check your gage and the tank wiring as I said in previous post. It could just be that either wire has rotted off and it works fine. If so swap the sender into the new tank. Take the O ring to a auto store and get a new (gas resistant) one to prevent any annoying wet spots later.

With sender out, swing the arm up (full) and check that you have 10 ohms resistance and down (empty) 80 ohms. Check the 'bad one' you could be wrong. I ran a 620 tank with a 720 gage and it read fine. Even ran the 620 sender in one of my 720 tanks and worked good. Nissan didn't make a sender for every tank model they made. Probably one for all cars and trucks, Why re invent the wheel, right? A 720 sender should work as long as the float lever is bent (if needed) so it doesn't hit the tank bottom before it reaches the end of it's travel. Check with ohm meter... should read 80 ohms empty.

DATSUNMIKE, DO YOU HAVE A PART NUMBER FOR THE 720 SENDING UNIT? DWNSHFTER ARE YOU BACK HOME YET? i'LL TAKE THAT SENDING UNIT IF YOU STILL HAVE IT.

Pssssst! superc_1....yer CAPSLOCK key is on! :D

Seriously, did you test the gauge and senders like datzenmike suggested? Is yes, what were the results? If not, why not?

DATSUNMIKE, DO YOU HAVE A PART NUMBER FOR THE 720 SENDING UNIT? DWNSHFTER ARE YOU BACK HOME YET? i'LL TAKE THAT SENDING UNIT IF YOU STILL HAVE IT.

No part numbers, but I have the address of the wrecking yard where i got it???

Ratsun owners never buy new parts, they make old parts work in new places.... datzenmike 07/29/2008

dwnshfter

are you back yet, and have the gas tank out? PM me I want to get that sending unit.

i wont be back to TX till the 26th. will be pulling the tank that week though.

Since he posted that on July 30th, I'm guessing he won't be back until August 26th. Gives you a couple-three weeks to do the troubleshooting suggested by datzenmike. You're gonna be pissed if you wait for dwnshfter's sender and it still don't work.

Just sayin'...... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Update! My wiring was fine. Sending unit is totally shot, but in the ratsun way I was able to take the two (sending units)and get one good one out of the two. I don't know how long it will last, but right now its working. The mechanical arm is alittle wobbly; because, I had to file the flange down to get it out to put into the other sender that had the good resistor coil. Dwnshfter, when you pull your tank I would like to get that sending unit from you for a back-up.

P.S. It wasn't that bad replacing the tank for anybody who has that ahead of them.