Leaky steering box

calistile

I have a 72 510 and finally wanting to address the leaky steering box now that I'm driving it more often. Steering wise, everything seems to operate fine. My car doesn't drift off or jerk. 

I'm just wondering if any of you have ran into a leaky steering box, and the first thing to take a look at. Are there gaskets to be replaced? Can the box be rebuilt?

I'll probably get a chance to pull the unit this weekend.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had to replace the bottom seal where the shaft comes out.  Like Scooter said, they do all weep out of the breather.  I put an AN fitting with a pigtail on it in the breather and haven't had a problem with weeping since.

I've had to replace the bottom seal where the shaft comes out. Like Scooter said, they do all weep out of the breather. I put an AN fitting with a pigtail on it in the breather and haven't had a problem with weeping since.

Do you by chance have a part number/info on the bottom seal? I believe this to actually be my issue.

Almost for sure it's the bottom sector shaft seal. #48137-16500 about $5 You will have to remove the pitman arm. I have changes at least two of them on 280zx and a 720 (maybe a D21) power steering box. They are different but serve the same purpose. On the 280zx box there was a C clip and a washer then the seal up inside but the 510 box doesn't appear to have these two things in the way. You may be able to drive a long wood screw up into the seal and pull it down out of the case and off the sector shaft. Simply slide a new one up and maybe use a piece of suitable size pipe to drive it home. Not saying this is how to do it but it would save dismantling the box. The 280zx box had a double row(top and bottom) of needle bearings, 32 in all, and they all fell out when the sector shaft was pulled up and out. Just saying it may be worth trying.

The seal is also used on the 610, B210 and the 210.