My first accident.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude I just noticed this, I'm glad your ok, and hope, if you decide to drive again(I have only read the first page so idk where that went) you find yourself in another Datto soon.

Sorry about the truck and I hope you are doin even better soon.

sucks about the wreck and the truck, good that your alive, and is making me realize more and more how safe these "unsafe old cars" (as a few people have taken to calling my wagon) really are.  you crawled out of the truck and walked to the sidewalk...truck looks like you should have been headless not walking.  the guy in cali that rolled his z on a cruise walked away from it. laotsu's truck tore half the front of a Honda off, his bumper is a bit askew now but if you didn't know it had been rear ended you probably couldn't tell. my girl got my z into a tussle with an 08 mazda, tore off the other cars entire rear bumper, one side of my front bumper now sticks in about a quarter inch more than the other side.  her aunt drove a 260z into the back of a parked dump truck at 65 mph, has a bum knee and some memory issues, but is still alive and kicking 25 years later...I say we're safer in our 30-40 year old tin cans than we would be in a brand new anything.

Glad you're okay. You didn't ask, but all I'll say is, all you can do is live, and learn... Learn to listen to yourself and pull over, when your gut tells you to, but live. Not driving a Datsun isn't living, not driving at all is just waiting to die anyway. Yeah, we know, wasted a damn good truck, but its the body that's all cracked up, you can get somebody's "project I just don't have time for now", or whatever on the cheap, just move on, and let this shit make you stronger, and better than before.

My brother was driving our 1952 Hudson [what a tank it was!] when a brand new Oldsmobile tried to cut him off at a toll booth.  The Oldsmobile lost big time!  He hooked the Hudson's right front bumper which proceeded to tear the Oldsmobile sheet metal from the front wheel arch all the way to the rear bumper.  Our Hudson wound up with a bent front right bumper popped out about 30 degrees and a slight dent on the front right fender sheet metal.  We punched the dent from the rear and it popped out without even cracking the paint!  A monkey wrench and a cheater bar returned the bumper to original position.  The Oldsmobile was towed away!  The Olds driver wondered why his car was so much damaged [we politely declined to state that is was because he drove like an A.. H...] and tapped our fender - THUMP! then tapped his fender TING!.  Heavy gauge sheet metal wins.  Since the Hudson was designed to win stock car races when they were really stock cars it even had the chassis rails outside the passenger compartment providing side crash impact bars by design, you had to step down into the floor pan.

Yeah I was a little over the top about not driving. It's my career. And I can't wait to get a track car.

I just wander sometimes. And I've been especially lost due to losing a good friend on Friday to a truck accident. He's the first thing to come to mind as I began to spin through the air.

Anyways. I'm supposed to be going to my aunts house soon to start tinkering with her 67' 1600. It's been on blocks and tarped since hurricane Ivan. Parked it because the clutch master went out. I don't know the last time it even ran was.

Sounds like a good home for the L20b

"8 lives left"

Ahaha was that you?

(yeah)

sucks about the wreck and the truck, good that your alive, and is making me realize more and more how safe these "unsafe old cars" (as a few people have taken to calling my wagon) really are.  you crawled out of the truck and walked to the sidewalk...truck looks like you should have been headless not walking.  the guy in cali that rolled his z on a cruise walked away from it. laotsu's truck tore half the front of a Honda off, his bumper is a bit askew now but if you didn't know it had been rear ended you probably couldn't tell. my girl got my z into a tussle with an 08 mazda, tore off the other cars entire rear bumper, one side of my front bumper now sticks in about a quarter inch more than the other side.  her aunt drove a 260z into the back of a parked dump truck at 65 mph, has a bum knee and some memory issues, but is still alive and kicking 25 years later...I say we're safer in our 30-40 year old tin cans than we would be in a brand new anything.

Comparing apples to oranges. In both cases the trucks had a frame and a bumper which adds rigidity to them. They keep their shape better in some cases, and lets be honest the trucks were hitting cream puffs. If you hit a brick wall at that speed the trucks would stop instantly instead of absorbing energy. You would find the driver impaled on the one piece steering column. The newer cars suffer more because of crumple zones which make them more survivable in a severe accident.

Good grief man.... glad your alive!

Small prediction for the future. .....

A South Carolina man is in serious condition after a three-vehicle crash on Nine Mile and Chemstrand roads, Tuesday night.

Charles A. Brown, 21, of Pendleton, S.C., was sailing west on Nine Mile Road in a fucking sailboat and approaching the intersection as two other vehicle began driving through the intersection, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Brown ran a red light, because there are no brakes on a sailboat, and entered the intersection, striking the front of a 2001 Ford Explorer driven by 51-year-old Russell G. Norton of Milton. Brown then sideswiped the front of a 2009 Hyundai being driven by Alyssa N. Boyer, 38, of Cantonment.

The impact of the crash caused Brown’s sailboat to spin clockwise and flip several times before coming to a final rest on the port side of the intersection.

Brown was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital where he was listed in serious condition.

Norton and Boyer suffered minor injuries. But where very surprised to be struck out of no where by a boat

The FHP has cited Brown with running a red light and no proof of boaters safety card

• Like 1

(yeah)

Comparing apples to oranges. In both cases the trucks had a frame and a bumper which adds rigidity to them. They keep their shape better in some cases, and lets be honest the trucks were hitting cream puffs. If you hit a brick wall at that speed the trucks would stop instantly instead of absorbing energy. You would find the driver impaled on the one piece steering column. The newer cars suffer more because of crumple zones which make them more survivable in a severe accident.

maybe, but what about the 240z on its lid, my 280(same thing with the bumpers, I think), my girls aunt, I do believe theres another forum member that rolled his 510, and dat's truck was upside down too.  yes the bumpers and frame add the extra rigidity, which is great for the fender benders compared to newer cars. but the amount of people that have ended up upside down in these and walked away from it, as compared to what I used to see and the stories i'd hear when I worked at a body shop...i'd rather roll my z than pretty much anything from the 90's on up. everything I saw rolled that came thru there looked more like sick620's truck...convertible. and inevitably someone died or had to be life-flighted to a hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you are ok. I was involved in a really bad accident in 2008, until this day i have fears of getting hit or hitting something and thats why i can't stand assholes with their phones up their asses driving and texting - one mistake and you are gone. Anyways get that 1600 going and keep your head up, oh and don't drive through intersections when you can't see the light - I've almost blasted through a red that way, rather be safe than sorry.

It's all goooood.

I no longer have to worry about the damn fine. That lowered my stress levels a bit.

I want another KC deluxe HAHAHA good fucking luck. I don't believe there is another one around here.

The joblessness and homelessness I can get over. I've been working and I got a boat to stay on moored in the bayou.

What's hurting me the most is losing the truck. It wouldn't be so bad if it was towed to the house like it was supposed to be so I could start tearing it apart and passing on the parts. I really, really loved that truck.

No, not yet. Haven't had a way to get there. I'm at the will of others when it comes to going places right now. I've even offered to suck the full tank of gas out for whoever gives me a ride lol.

I saw it the day after when I left the hospital.

Wish I had a camera. Mine didn't survive the accident.

Standing in the rain in nothing but a pair of scrubs.

A dark splatter of blood, glass, and hair on the headliner.

The faint smell of sweet strawberries coming from the pile of wreckage piled in the top of a twisted mess that was one a camper top.

maybe, but what about the 240z on its lid

that was a low speed roll over same thing with reds 510 rollover.

newer cars are generally safer, that doesnt mean dattos are unsafe... but technology has come a long way in the last 40 years.

damn. I love my datsun to death but the thought of being in a wreck in the little sardine can of a wagon makes my butthole pucker up and suck buttermilk. glad you're ok, dude!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Could not have said that better!

Really happy to hear you're ok CB. From the looks of that truck you're lucky. I have a long time family friend get cut off driving a delivery truck and he tipped the truck to its side. Broke his neck and now he's paralyzed. That was a year ago. Count your blessings man. Good luck to you!