1979 280zx coupe for sale in Kansas, SOLD for $350

I just brought it home.  It's rough, been sitting in a field for awhile, "ran when parked" sort of thing.  NO title... At least not for another year, at which point it turns 35 year old and all you need in KS is a Bill of Sale to get a title.  I don't know anything about it, other than it has a 5spd, L28. The rats nests are an extra bonus!  I may end up parting it out.  I'd rather sell it complete for the $600 I've got in it.  I don't really have the time to do anything with it now, with my move to Alaska at the end of April and all....

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

021.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '79 5 speed is the same as the earlier 280z and the '78-'79 620 truck, nothing special in the gearing. Good 5 speed all the same.

Ah,ha.  I knew there was a difference somewhere along the way, but now I get it. 

I don't know... if you are converting from the 4spd, any 5spd might be a nice difference for the top-end.  And, if you have a tired L16, the lower first gear in the earlier 5spd would be more similar to the first gear in the 4spd.  And, as long as your just driving around town, and not racing, a wide ratio wouldn't be that bad.  But I think what your indicating is that this has the transmission that is not as sought after as the later gear box.  And therefore, maybe I did pay a little too much.  C'est la vie I guess.

The wide ratio has a 3.592 first. The '79 you have is 3.321 and the 80 and on 280zx is 3.062

I have a '79 280zx 5 speed in my 710 goon. I modified it with an '85 SD25 diesel tail stock so that I have a shorter shift. I found this tranny 12-15 years ago. It was in a car that had or looked like it was stripped and then run over by an excavator. You could only see a bit of the valve cover and I thought it was an L4. Turns out it was a 280zx though you couldn't tell. Bought the entire car for $30 for anything I wanted off of it. Got the 5 speed for a spare and a couple of years later my 620's 5 speed quit. (wish I had saved it) I slipped it in and it works perfectly for 10 years at least. Been across Canada and back at least a half dozen times. Took it out when I swapped a Z24 in. It's now on it's third vehicle.  

It won't be listed as the z or zx did not have that 5 speed, however the early 260z 280z 4 speeds did. I mention them only because after all these years any transmission, even a wide ratio from a truck, could have been swapped in.

Well the last year 620 and the first year 2wd 720s came with the really wide ratio. The '79 had a 4.11 and needed it to get going from a start and the 720 was getting heavier by then and even lower differential.

If you already have a 3.70 or 3.545 rear end, a wide ratio tranny is a viable option as the lower diff gears move the wide gears 'closer' together

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.