truck shuts off after half a tank

Mr.Dean_Yates

Not sure how to do this one. Basically my truck has sputtered at half a tank and then died, so, I know its not empty, my truck doesn't take $17 to fill (I wish it did) and with a full tank it runs perfectly fine. Gets to half and sputters out.

I'll post pics of the top of my tank and stuff in a bit I'm currently using my phone and under my truck haha

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely sounds like you need to drop the tank,
for at least a look around, or to cross out what the problem ISNT.

it only takes a couple hours.

Unless the pick up tube broke off and is shorter or if it was bent would this happen. Can't see that.

Did the tank ever get hit on the bottom?

One time I bottomed out on my mustang ll tank(my friends called it a pintang), it pushed the pickup tube up so far that I would run out of gas while still showing a 1/4 tank.

Wayno, on a cross country trip I had air rushing sounds every time I took the cap off to refill. Turned out to be the cap not venting and letting air IN. The tank collapsed to half thickness and ran out reading 1/4 tank WTF???  Was in Ontario and there are NO Datsuns, in fact there are no yards with cars over 15 years old in them. So I was stuck with a squashed banana for a gas tank. I ended up using compressed air to inflate the tank, insane but it worked. Yeah it drove a block and ran out of gas. Forgot to check the pick up tube, it was bent.

When we bought our 521, we were driving it from central panhandle of Idaho to central WA and it would run great for a while down the freeway, and then suddenly just sputter and die.  The husband finally heard the whooshing sound you described, Mike, and put it all together.  Thankfully, we didn't have the tank collapse, because it would just die first.  We let it sit for a little bit after one episode, before figuring out it was the cap, and it fired right up and drove a while before dying again.  

I thought the air was coming out! Boy was I wrong, it was sucking in... but it run fine, until it caved in. It was a 720 long box 2wd tank... big sucker, 13 Imp gallons 16 US? Pulled the sender and held hand over the hole, vice grips clamping the gas lines and my dad's neighbor's compressor. Tank swelled and popped, scaring the shit out of me. It was empty but still smelly. After several bangs and pops it resumed it's former shape leaving just a few mild creases. I put the sender in but should have checked the pickup pipe. Had to tear it all out and reach in with a long screwdriver and push it over vertical.

I thought the air was coming out! Boy was I wrong, it was sucking in... but it run fine, until it caved in. It was a 720 long box 2wd tank... big sucker, 13 Imp gallons 16 US? Pulled the sender and held hand over the hole, vice grips clamping the gas lines and my dad's neighbor's compressor. Tank swelled and popped, scaring the shit out of me. It was empty but still smelly. After several bangs and pops it resumed it's former shape leaving just a few mild creases. I put the sender in but should have checked the pickup pipe. Had to tear it all out and reach in with a long screwdriver and push it over vertical.

That was a fun day, pulling it twice, but it went faster the second time, didn't it.  :lol: