Hand Crank starter on J13 (successful)

KFunk740

Just thought I'd let you guys know that it is possible to use the factory hand crank starter on a swapped J13.  I have no idea if you can swap the hand crank bolt from the E-1, but probably so.  I couldn't find one of those, but I managed to find a hand crank starter nut/bolt for a Datsun 1500 roadster on ebay and took a chance on it, and it threaded in and torqued down fine.  The head on the crank bolt was way bigger (36mm/ 1.5" compared to 33mm stock), and I had to temporarily move the radiator up a bit to fit the massive socket in there, along with a giant extension and a torque wrench outside the bumper. 

I'm sure you can find other Datsun hand crank/nut bolts that would work (likely one for the J13 on the 411).  But, it's tough finding them.  Nissan has a part number for the hand crank nut/bolt, and attempted to order it, but of course it will never show up.   

I also tried an MGA hand crank bolt (should be similar engine), but the threads weren't quite right.  Right diameter threads, but wrong pitch (not sure what it was, but it wouldn't thread in all the way). 

Anyways, it works, and it's awesome.  If the truck has been warmed up, then it's incredibly easy.  Just one half-turn on the crank, and she's a running.  I looked up safety tips (heard arm and should injuries are common when hand cranking and it kicks back), and so I keep an open palm with my thumb on the same side as my fingers, and only pull towards myself. 

If it's the least bit cold, and you make it to the next the next compression stroke without firing.... then damn, its got some force and might kick back. 

I've got to work out my methods better for fairly cold starting this way, so I'd appreciate any tips.  I'll just be doing it for fun on occasion, and will still use the electric starter most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 1965 320, just out of high school.  This was about 1975, and it was popular to go and into down town Portland, and "drag" Broadway street.

Sometimes me and a buddy would intentionally stall it on a green light, if there was a big crowd at an intersection, I would jump out with the crank, I would holler "Switch off" he would respond back, I would find a compression stroke, yell "Switch On", he again would respond "Switch On" then I would crank and start the engine.

Also, when in a stoplight to stoplight every block situation, a 320 is surprisingly quick.  We beat many a muscle car off the line.  But they were not expecting a little Datsun 320 pickup, proud of its 60 HP engine, to be quick.

I think the early "single headlight" 520 trucks also had a hand crank.

• 2 weeks later...

KFunk, what are you using for the crank? I have a NL but have always had starter issues.

I'm using the factory (I assume) hand crank from my 320, which was behind my seat when I bought it.  But, I would bet you could also use one from an MGA, Datsun Roadster, and possibly a bunch of other cars that had hand cranks.  My 320 hand crank fits right into the receiver on the crank bolt I got from the MGA, and the roadster.  You might want to double-check that its long enough to go through the bumper and then reach the crank bolt, as well.