Mystery shake still present...

Hey folks, heres a short run down on an issue that has been persistent in my 510 4 door for over a year now. At highway speed, you get what feels like a loose tire feel, a low frequency vibration that gets progressively worse with speed, and especially so with extra weight such as a passenger. I have swapped differentials, I have swapped half shafts out, rotated the tires, etc, drivelines all balanced and have new u joints.  All bolts tight.

Is it possible a blown rear control arm bushing can cause the wobble? I do notice its fairly consistently the right side. I have a urethane kit for it, but i have a datsport rear. Ive heard poly isnt friendly with them.

Im pullin my hair out at this point... No obvious problems, but the vibe continues.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd think I would only feel the rotor when the brakes are applied... and they are less than a year old, but i suppose anything can happen... Wheel bearings were replaced in 2006 with all new. My car is hardly what you'd call "low"...

2013-02-28_17-53-53_849.jpg

Rear brake drum missing a chunk throwing the balance out.

Rear crossmember mounting bolt(s) loose.

Differential bolts and mustache bar bolts and mounting bolt(s) loose.

Move tires to front see if change.

Loose transmission mount or transmission crossmember.

Rear brake drum missing a chunk throwing the balance out.

Rear crossmember mounting bolt(s) loose.

Differential bolts and mustache bar bolts and mounting bolt(s) loose.

Move tires to front see if change.

Loose transmission mount or transmission crossmember.

I wish it was that simple. I have disc in rear, all bolts very tight. Swapped to a whole different set of tires, even rotated around, no improvement. I have hears bad bushings in the rear control arms can cause problems, but buying new ones is impossible...

Wow, these were exactly what I saw in the back of a car on a lift at Rebello Racing yesterday.

I think i'll give my poly kit a shot before going to these, i already have that kit.

Thanks for the info!

Poly isn't a problem until you start adjusting things like camber and toe, then it will bind up

Thats exactly what i feared, however Datsport disagrees :confused:

Bah! Ill get another rear end in the thing and report back...

It depends on the style of adjustment. The futofab style camber toe plates are not poly friendly. The datslort kit looks like it would be poly friendly because both mounts for the trailing arm move. I think you would be fine with poly bushings on the datsport kit

The datsport will bind slightly, no way around it, the "Penultimate" kit has pivoting inboard control arm mounts, correcting for any bind. Could be worth a shot still, Im not running extreme camber or alignment.

• 3 weeks later...

Poly bushes work well with our ARCs.

You just need the right duro.

If you are using hard red urethane then you will have a binding problem.

We use a black urethane that is just a tad firmer than rubber.

However if your bushes are intact and all the fastners are secure then the X member is not at fault.

In Oz we usually run 15 to 20 mm of rake front to rear.

Better handling at speed & levels out the squat a bit under throttle load.

I would add about 6 mm of spacer to the rear spring saddle.

Good rear mono gas shocks will also help to counter the vibration with load in the rear or under acceleration.

• Like 1

Problems improved dramatically with new tires, but still slightly present. Changing the rear end out asap to one with supposedly less miles.

Was going to be my next suggestion.

It's a major PITA, but if you could, a process of elimination change out may work better in your favor.

What I mean here is, start from the middle and work out.

i.e. start by replacing diff, then see what happens. Then try LHS drive shaft, RHS drive shaft etc etc

Have you checked the pins which hold the outer ends of the rear cross member to the body?

The ones I'm talking about are the two which are just forward of the rear wheel well and go through the subframe and rear crossmember mounts.

There's a dished washer which sits under there as well as a fairly thick washer before the lock nut is applied.

Would post pics, but nowhere near a Datto at the moment :(

you need to find a place that balances the wheels while they're on the car.

The guy i went to placed a glass of water on the front fender to watch the motion of the ocean. I think that was

really old school but what a perfect balance it was.

He also had the machine that resurfaced the tires so they're perfectly round.

It grinds off a litle tread but it can save a set of tires if they're out of round slightly or have a flat spot from locking up and skidding.

Your're probably going to have to go to a bigger place like sacto for that.