Scrap Yard Find?

EdwardK

I found a 1200 in a junk yard. It looks to be complete, but I have no idea why it was put there.

What kinda price is decent for one of these that's in totally unknown condition? The body has no dents but I can't tell how much rust was one it, it was repainted (badly) mustard yellow.

Anyway, after I pay off my 620 in a couple months, Imma go buy this one if it's still there.

What do you guys think the mostly likely reason it got put in here is? 

When I go back Imma look for rust and check he engine block out more carefully.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares why it's there.  As long as the body isn't rotted out.  You should set something up before a few months from now. Go talk to them ASAP to see if you can buy the car from them and tell them your plan. Get something in writing.  That way you can ensure it's there when  you can get it.

1200's are way cool.  Sell the 620 and get the 1200 asap if they will sell it to you :D

If you talk to the people that own the yard, they can tell you why its there. We have absolutely no idea... it could be 1000 different things. All yards will be different when it comes to whole car purchasing so once again you will have to ask them. Some wont even sell cars once they are in as they usually can make more money when parted and then scraped. 

Also know that you usually get a junk yard title with the car so depending on your state laws, it will vary to get an actual clear title in your name. 

Who cares why it's there.  As long as the body isn't rotted out.  You should set something up before a few months from now. Go talk to them ASAP to see if you can buy the car from them and tell them your plan. Get something in writing.  That way you can ensure it's there when  you can get it.

1200's are way cool.  Sell the 620 and get the 1200 asap if they will sell it to you :D

I like my 620 too much to sell it! lol Besides, I have the means to purchase it soon. But I'm not gonna bother getting anything in writing or any nonsense like that. If somebody else comes along and sees it before I do, more power too 'em! I know a could of places where the old Datsun's inevitably end up.

It's worth at least it's weight in scrap.

Definitely. But the dude knows it's not just a random car. He won't sell it to me for scrap price sadly.

If you talk to the people that own the yard, they can tell you why its there. We have absolutely no idea... it could be 1000 different things. All yards will be different when it comes to whole car purchasing so once again you will have to ask them. Some wont even sell cars once they are in as they usually can make more money when parted and then scraped. 

Also know that you usually get a junk yard title with the car so depending on your state laws, it will vary to get an actual clear title in your name. 

I definitely will. I was just unsure if the 1200 had any 'fatal' flaws.

This guy won't sell whole cars to most people, but I know how to get him to.

Yeah, if I get it I'll do something to get the title redone as either Restored, or Kitcar.

Well most times you can get inspections done through Highway Patrol and go from there. Once again, the junkyard should be knowledgeable on that process as well. Im sure they have be apart of it before. Depending on state, its not hard and as long as the car passes the appropriate inspections, you can get a clear title in your name. 

Hell some people take cars to the yard because of blown headgaskets which isnt a structural problem at all. 

But once again, this yard should have all the answers youre looking for. 

Well most times you can get inspections done through Highway Patrol and go from there. Once again, the junkyard should be knowledgeable on that process as well. Im sure they have be apart of it before. Depending on state, its not hard and as long as the car passes the appropriate inspections, you can get a clear title in your name. 

Hell some people take cars to the yard because of blown headgaskets which isnt a structural problem at all. 

But once again, this yard should have all the answers youre looking for. 

Alright. Cool. 

My original question hasn't been answered though.

What's the general price for these cars? I figure since this one is busted (maybe) I can talk the dude down a little. Still don't have an official price, but he wants just under 2k.

$2k for a car in the yard? Psh pass. If they arent the running ones that yards sometimes sell, then its worth something like $400 (can vary) which is around scrap price. Yards will always think they have gold and prices will be higher. You need to ask him whats wrong with it and take a bunch of pictures. $2000 is average-ish price for a good condition 1200 with a clear title and runs around here. Might be a bit more since youre on the East Coast. 

Go back ask him everything weve pointed out, take some pictures, and report back here. 

I say his price is way high, but thats me. 

• Like 1

$2k for a car in the yard? Psh pass. If they arent the running ones that yards sometimes sell, then its worth something like $400 (can vary) which is around scrap price. Yards will always think they have gold and prices will be higher. You need to ask him whats wrong with it and take a bunch of pictures. $2000 is average-ish price for a good condition 1200 with a clear title and runs around here. Might be a bit more since youre on the East Coast. 

Go back ask him everything weve pointed out, take some pictures, and report back here. 

I say his price is way high, but thats me. 

And this is why I was asking. I had no idea at all what this vehicle is worth.

I'll go talk to him again and get some more specifics.

Thanks again!

I sold one last summer for $1400 and the guy drove it over 2 hours to get home.......with no problems.

if running worth maybe 1500 not running 6-$800 don't know of any hidden problems.........

Now I have a fairly decent idea of what the 1200's go for. Thanks guys! :D

6-$700 is probably what he could clear in parts and scrap, Start somewhere around there or advise him to advertise it on Craigslist to give others a chance to save a classic. Don't wait or it will get stripped and trashed sitting for any period of time in a yard.

I'll definitely do this.