IR Alternator Swap on a 620

Searched around, and didn't find any relevant information on the correct wiring for the bypassing the external regulator. Lots for 510, but I believe the wire colors are different. The post pinned in this section was on an already IR truck, so it didn't have the needed info. 

Anyone have diagrams on what wire goes where on the plug??? 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AFIK the wiring (colors) are the same as the 510 but the choke relay may then be permanently on all the time. The fix is to just connect the (blue) choke heat wire to the (red) idle cut solenoid at the carb and also unplug the choke heater relay. If not the battery will drain over two days because the relay coil is energized..

510iraltswap.jpg

What I did was remove the external regulator and cut the plug off.  Keep and join the Black/White stripe and the White/Red stripe wires together and also the Yellow wire to the White wire. Solder and heat shrink them. Remove all other wires from the plug, they are not needed.

My plug looked like this and this is what I did but you plug may be different shape...

710IRaltswap013Large.jpg

710IRaltswap015Large.jpg

This plug looks neat with no bare wires, and works by simply plugging it back onto the harness plug.

I recently put a 100 amp '02 Altima alternator on my 710 goon and the regulator plug is different but the wiring is the same...

100ampAltimaaltswap026Large.jpg

Yes, but you probably will have to disable the choke heater relay too.

What IR alternator are you planning? Th e car and 720 truck ones are larger diameter and will probably hit the idler arm on a 620. Mine did.

give me a second, (or a day) and ill figure out how i did it.

i poured over the electric drawing, looked over Mike's and other's

installs, and after a few days figured out how to just remove the VR,

the plug, give the choke power, and not drain the batt.

if not for you, maybe someone else will find it useful

Yes, but you probably will have to disable the choke heater relay too.

What IR alternator are you planning? Th e car and 720 truck ones are larger diameter and will probably hit the idler arm on a 620. Mine did.

I'm not too worried about that,unless it's going to affect something elsewhere. I have 12V power from somewhere else to the choke. 

My alt came from a ZX-T. The issue I'm having is that I'm running into the water neck @ the bottom, and the idler arm with less then 1/4 inch to adjust. I can't fit my belt on, and probably won't have enough to adjust it. I'm gonna go snag a few belts from the 'zone and see what I can come up with. Is there a smaller diameter 60 amp?? 200sx maybe? 

I wouldn't mind mulling over that. I've got it all apart, and thankfully I don't work tomorrow so I'm not in any rush to get this done. Sooner this is done, the sooner I can go to mounting my electric fan and Recaro's

Yes on my wifes 710 sedan I pulled the box with all the harnesses and relays. Used a supply and a ground and re did the choke relay so that it is on and off with the key and does not stay on.

My alt came from a ZX-T. The issue I'm having is that I'm running into the water neck @ the bottom, and the idler arm with less then 1/4 inch to adjust. I can't fit my belt on, and probably won't have enough to adjust it. I'm gonna go snag a few belts from the 'zone and see what I can come up with. Is there a smaller diameter 60 amp?? 200sx maybe?

Use the zx lower rad inlet it's shapped different and gives mor alt clearance.

i used 79 200sx alt and belt. fits perfect worked like a charm. when i bought my truck the alt wasnt even hooked up, and the wiring was a rats nest. i just looked up a diagram and stared at it long enough and youll see what wires to use. got it all dont it the parking lot at work, and the guy who owns the auto shop across the parking lot said holy fuck, good job, i never went to that school! told him its the fun in owning a datsun!

Nevermind! It's weird, with the old external regulator the charge light never worked, and I.never bothered putting the bulb holder back in because everything worked. Put a bulb back in and it works.

Charges at 14v and with headlights, highbeams, heater, radio, etc it only drops .04v

The bulb should be or is beast if it IS working. Something about a small trickle of current making magnetism and this in turn makes output voltage. You may be able to run without a bulb from residual magnetism in the field coil or armature.

Hi guys I have a question  I did the 86 chevy s10 100amp alternator swap with the 4 pin plug .and the charge light stays on it's over charging at 17 volts could the alternator be bad ? any way to check it ? the 620 is a 73 year model  the alternator fits so nice like stock its the small alternator . I added grounds from the block to the alternator and to the battery .

510 wiring s fine. my choke heater relay is dead so i unplugged it. i am also using a 720 55 amp alt in my truck. no issues to report and it was a plug and play deal. even used the same belt but i had to use a later lower brakcet to make it line up right.

Yes I completed the connection  white +red to white +black     and yellow to white  I removed the plug from the main wire harness  so I know the colors are connected  right. smooth look with the regulator removed and no ugly plug showing