fiberglass parts

520 gasser

hey as some of you guys know i am building a gasser out of a 67 520 and i have been wanting to make a fiberglass front clip for my truck because my fenders are shot and the hood has a big dent in it but i can fix that. i can fix all of it just think it would be cooler to have fiberglass parts on a gasser. so why i am really here is to ask you guys if anyone else would want new fiberglass parts for your truck. i would like to get ahold of a few parts to make molds of like bumperettes, the radio plate, fenders, and hood. might be a few others i am missing. just wanting to see how many people would like some parts like this to find out if i should start gathering materials or to put it on the back burner

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey as some of you guys know i am building a gasser out of a 67 520 and i have been wanting to make a fiberglass front clip for my truck because my fenders are shot and the hood has a big dent in it but i can fix that. i can fix all of it just think it would be cooler to have fiberglass parts on a gasser. so why i am really here is to ask you guys if anyone else would want new fiberglass parts for your truck. i would like to get ahold of a few parts to make molds of like bumperettes, the radio plate, fenders, and hood. might be a few others i am missing. just wanting to see how many people would like some parts like this to find out if i should start gathering materials or to put it on the back burner

So you make fiberglass parts for a living?

Not many fiberglass parts for the 520/521 or the 320 for that matter, but someday I hope that will not be true, the 620 has a few, as one member on here has spent the time/money making/buying the molds, but the demand will be slow at first, until the OEM supply of used parts dries up.

The 520 has not been a popular model until recently, I think Bob3 has something to do with it myself, but does it matter who is the reason, as long as the 520 gets the love it actually does deserve.

I will tell you this, who ever builds a mold of the 520 dash top, will sell a lot of them if affordable, with or without a ashtray hole, especially without the ashtray hole.

No but have played with it and done a lot of reading I know it's not an easy task. I would like to start with the bumperetts and the radio deleat plate. Start small and work bigger the radio plate would not be fiberglass I would make them of a resin or plastic in a soft mold. Like I said just want to see and find out how manny people would want them I am going to do it sooner or later just want to know if I need to make the mold to last for 2 to 5 personal ones or step it up and make a couple dozen

Im sure you can make a few small things, but I doubt anyone would buy fiberglass bumperettes. I think one of the main selling points of them is theyre chromed. 

Everything else, I have no idea since Im not a truck guy. I will say that doing glass work isnt easy so I wouldnt make any promises to what youre making. I would have done a bunch of tests first and come out with a small product before saying you were going to do anything. 

Id hate for you to get discouraged seeing its harder than anticipated and then everyone is let down. Happens all the time with items around here. 

No but have played with it and done a lot of reading I know it's not an easy task. I would like to start with the bumperetts and the radio deleat plate. Start small and work bigger the radio plate would not be fiberglass I would make them of a resin or plastic in a soft mold. Like I said just want to see and find out how manny people would want them I am going to do it sooner or later just want to know if I need to make the mold to last for 2 to 5 personal ones or step it up and make a couple dozen

The thing about bumperettes is that one needs the mount brackets also, I am sure that them guys on ebay would sell a bunch of them bumperettes if they had mount brackets, even though they are of low quality and shipping is very expensive.

I will say this again, there is a demand for the 520 dash top out there that cannot met, there are not enough 520s out there to rob the dash out of to fix all the bad 521 dash tops, in my opinion this would sell if they could be made at a reasonable price.

The 521 dash top is also different than the 520 dash top, so there would be two different avenues to go, copy the 520 dash top, or make a copy of the 521 dash top.

If I had the know how to do this, I would have done it already, as this is an issue that someone is going to cash in on someday, as there are a lot of bad 521 dash tops out there.

TrisinGrind this is going to happen no matter what all I was asking was if anyone would want some I am a making at least one set for my truck and just wanted to know what way To make my moled as there is a mold that can make about 5 and thin it's done or you can make a mold that will make hundreds

• Like 1

Wayno can you send me a pick of the dash top I'm a little confused as my truck has a all metal dash

That's just it, the 520 has an all metal dash, the 521s have a foam covered metal dash with a vinyl type covering that cracks over time, but the 520 dash will bolt right into a 521, so everyone wants a 520 dash.

Eventually they all start looking like this, that is why there is a demand for 520 dash tops.

DSCN1248.JPG

DSCN1249.JPG

Personally I would ask the 521 guys if there would be any interest, as I believe anything above $100.00 is going to be a hard sell ATM.

Anything below $100.00 will likely sell, the thing is I have seen a 520 dash complete, top and face sit in a vendor booth for a whole swap meet before someone finally bought it for a $150.00 when they were leaving, us Ratsun folk are like birds, we are cheap cheap cheap.

Keep in mind that they will basically the part that shows will have to be perfect, unfortunately that is in a spot where the slightest warp can be seen, ask Jrock.

well the most exspensive part is making the mold if you have a small part like the dash i could see no more tham 40 in materals for each part as for the part being perfict you make your mold off of a part that you are happy with when it has been painted gloss black because it will show you what is wrong once the pice looks good painted gloss black you make your mold off of it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...