How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

Icehouse

well i never heard of the 720 having a ka... z20 , z22 and z24 was as new as they got i thought.... which were carbed , pretty sure only the z20 from the 200sx had efi..... ka came in the 240sx,stanza , axxess d21 hardbody and the frontier....

so OP, what engine does this 720 have? 1985 720 had z20 (carb) z24 (carb) or the sd25 (deisel)

Edited by 71ka510
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i never heard of the 720 having a ka... z20 , z22 and z24 was as new as they got i thought.... which were carbed , pretty sure only the z20 from the 200sx had efi..... ka came in the 240sx,stanza , axxess d21 hardbody and the frontier....

so OP, what engine does this 720 have? 1985 720 had z20 (carb) z24 (carb) or the sd25 (deisel)

im guessing you refering to me? lol

what i started with, 1984 2wd 720, z24, 5sp

what i just got for it, 1995 240sx ka24de engine with wiring

so you are correct, they did not come with the ka's from factory....... you have any advice on the wiring?

alls i want is a simple toggle switch and a push button...... very basic, and i want all emissions removed, will be making a block off plate for my egr tonight

well , just follow the diagram on the first page..... as for smog removal..... i have a sohc but correct me if i am wrong..... same smog crap ..... egr, secondary butterfly valves, excessive vac lines, can all be removed.... this page helped me with my sohc......http://ka24et.com/diys/SOHCemissions/emissions.html

• 3 weeks later...

OK... This is gonna be a long post.

As I stated before, we're swapping a KA24DE into an '85 720. The engine included the complete harness:

13960_1267016549817_1061901730_30864229_3874365_n.jpg

As you can see, there's a lot of connectors, some of which we don't know what to do with.

Now, we have a few questions.

1. The ECU connector:

13960_1267016469815_1061901730_30864227_6684532_n.jpg

There are a few wires clipped: Black with 1 tic, 2- yellow/orange (red?) with one tic, orange with one tic, blue/white with one tic, purple/white with one two tics, green with one tic. Are they important? Is there somewhere that I can find the entire ECU wiring schematic?

2. Is this the fusebox connector from the original car, and what do we do with it, just delete it? Some of the wires go to the ECU and some go into the engine harness side, we can trace all of them but not sure what would be best:

13960_1267016509816_1061901730_30864228_6616987_n.jpg

3. Now, there are 3 connectors that we can't ID. Don't know where they go:

13960_1267016629819_1061901730_30864231_7222255_n.jpg

The blue one looks like a relay connector, the output wire is red/blk with 2 tics. This is "inside" the car. The other two are "outside" the fw, the smaller one has blue/2tics, blu/wht/1tic, blu/blk/1tic, and grn/blk/2tics. The larger one has 7 wires in it: wht, grey/1tic, blk/wht/1tic, brn/1tic, blu, gry/1tic, and pink.

4. There are 5 snipped wires right outside of the fw:

13960_1267016589818_1061901730_30864230_8164618_n.jpg

Are they important? I am gonna trace them back, but don't know if they are critical.

5. Finally, a weird plug with a .47uf cap from the front of the engine was in the harness as well:

13960_1267016669820_1061901730_30864232_2939604_n.jpg

Colors are blk/red and blk/1tic. Blk/red is larger guage than the other one.

Thanks for any and all suggestions... It's kind of confusing, and sorry for the long post.

If you could find an ECU pinout for a KA, it help you tremendously. I was in your shoes with my SR wiring harness until I found a pinout for the SR ECU and that's what helped me the most. As far as those cut wires that go into your ECU plug, the black is more than likely a ground. The yellow/orange, or probably red, just faded, should be your Tachometer signal. And the orange wire is probably the wire that signals the ECU to feed in more fuel on startup.

Edit:

Here you go, I did a little searching and found a pinout. It doesn't have the wire colors though, but you should be able to look at your ecu plug and figure out which wire is which.

42130936.gif

Edited by spoolinitup33

OK, check this out.... I found the *entire* manual (FSM) online, and downloadable as a zip file!!!!

http://www.240edge.com/manuals/s13-ka24e.html

This is for all the models, not just the 240... Might want to get a copy ASAP. There's also (on the left side) links to other years/models. I got the 95 240 as well, as that's the year of the engine that I have.

Spoolinitup: Cool, I found that one too but wasn't sure if it was accurate... I am gonna compare it to the one that I found and double-check all the wiring... Gonna figure this out yet!

Edited by lil89ram50

ok. so im looking to wire up my car this weekend. after looking at the diagram im starting to understand it all.

in the pics i see on part of the harness that separates from the rest of the harness.(right harness in pic) that is what all connects to the relays correct?

but in the pic i have attached. where does the wires comin out of the other part of the harnesss/ecu connect to(left harness in pic)??

this is how i got the harness when i bought my car. so hopefully nothings wrong with it.

IMG_9899.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering which ECU wire to wire to ground. I didn't see any documentation on it.

I am wiring an sr20det into my sand rail and my real problem is somewhere in my relays I think.

The black/pink for the fuel pump relay and the red/black for the eccs (ecu) relay are supposed to complete (ground) the circuit, correct? I do not think mine are. Here is the reason:

When I take the red/black wire off and ground the relay instead of hooking it up to the red/black, the ECU light turns on. This must mean the computer is not completing the circuit, correct?

Also my fuel pump works when connected to direct 12v but not through the relay.

My eccs relay is wired:

#30 to 12v.

#86 to 12v,

#87 to blk/wht stripe wire,

#85 to blk/red stripe wire

I tried to take a pic of my relay but its just too small. Please let me know if you need any pictures of anything or further explination of what I have written.

Edited by brett

Brett, i dont have the answer to your relay question, but i do think that you should start a picture thread of your sandrail. :thumbup: I would like to see other uses for the nissan motor.*:) Maybe start it in the project vehicles section. Did i mention that we like pictures.

Brett, i dont have the answer to your relay question, but i do think that you should start a picture thread of your sandrail. :thumbup: I would like to see other uses for the nissan motor.*:) Maybe start it in the project vehicles section. Did i mention that we like pictures.

Doing it now. http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?18361-SR20DET-Sandrail&p=250527#post250527

Edited by brett

Brett just do exactly what the diagram at the beginning of this thread shows and it will run perfect. I've used the diagram ton's of times with no problems.. Let us know if it works out then we can trouble shoot from there.

Brett just do exactly what the diagram at the beginning of this thread shows and it will run perfect. I've used the diagram ton's of times with no problems.. Let us know if it works out then we can trouble shoot from there.

First of all, thank you for responding.

I thought I had it wired exactly like the diagram shows but I have an extra set of eyes coming over today to double check me. I will let you know what happens.

Ok I have a question about the three relays. In your diagram, the bottom relay for the main ignition power, O2 senser, etc, shows a straight line going through from positive to negative(86 to 85) while the other two are seperated by a squiggly type line. Is this a different style relay than the other two that dont have that line continuing through the circuit? My friend seems to think that this relay is supposed to have more resistance than the other 2 used for the fuel pump and ecu. So in essence, I am still having the same problem I was having when I originally posted, the last relay on the diagram works, but the rest do not.

Thx again.

My harness has been modified and some wires are cut from the ECU connector. Comparing mine to a pinout diagram, the wires that are missing are as follows:

harnesspinoutx.jpg

As you can see, the pins with the xxxxxx next to them are cut off. Can someone tell me if this harness is still usable?

My setup is a manual tranny '93 DOHC but the ECU is for an auto. Working with this harness makes me just want to make one from scratch!

Edited by rzrdisco

ok i need lots of help... don't want to fill this up with dump questions tho.

here is my project....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16416-sr20det-510/page__st__40__gopid__250100entry250100

starting to dig into wiring now....

did learn allot reading this i must say... kinda understand it but still need to figure out a lot.....

Thanks Jeremy

ok i need lots of help... don't want to fill this up with dump questions tho.

here is my project....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16416-sr20det-510/page__st__40__gopid__250100entry250100

starting to dig into wiring now....

did learn allot reading this i must say... kinda understand it but still need to figure out a lot.....

Thanks Jeremy

Post #1 will be your best friend.