How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

Icehouse

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeff, I'd like to order one of these for my KA swap. I'm using the KA twin cam out of a 2000 Frontier. This shouldn't matter at all, right? The engine control wiring should be exactly the same as the 240SX wiring, right? I'm in the process of separating the engine control wiring from the body harness. Big pain in the ass, unfortunately no wrecker or speed shop in my area has a 240SX harness available. You've wired lots of engines; any idea what's different about the truck KA? If you PM me paypal info I'll get a payment out to right now.

If I can do it, you can do it. The hardest part of it is getting used to how the ECU grounds everything instead of using power through the relays. That really threw me off!

My Megasquirt does the same thing. It threw me off for a long minute. Then I realized that it was because it puts less load on the ECU.

Now this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous but I'm confused being that this is my first attempt at wiring. Fabrication, bodywork, paint no problem but wiring is a handicap of mine.. I just picked up my S13 redtop SR20 and I have my can am box.. Where are the majority of these wires being found? The way I understand it is.. The wires from the ECU to sensors etc stay untouched, and then the wires for this box come off of seperate plugs on the harness? I know the answer is probably so simple I'll look like a tool afterwards but as I said I just can't seem to figure it out and where I'm doing the swap this week I'll be without internet for the most part so research time will be over.

• Like 1

Now this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous but I'm confused being that this is my first attempt at wiring. Fabrication, bodywork, paint no problem but wiring is a handicap of mine.. I just picked up my S13 redtop SR20 and I have my can am box.. Where are the majority of these wires being found? The way I understand it is.. The wires from the ECU to sensors etc stay untouched, and then the wires for this box come off of seperate plugs on the harness? I know the answer is probably so simple I'll look like a tool afterwards but as I said I just can't seem to figure it out and where I'm doing the swap this week I'll be without internet for the most part so research time will be over.

The wires are coming directly from the ECU. That is why the pin numbers are given. Most of the wires will still go to the factory sensors and stuff. But a few have to be adapted. Since largely Datsun wiring is old and not up to snuff for the demands of the ECU (mainly due to the way it is wired), we relay things. This box simply turns things on when they are supposed to. Like part of the ECU and the FP.

So simply find the wire color coming from the ecu, you may need to look at the pin on the ecu to figure out which wire? And then simply attach it to the box.

The Black/White wire from the 510 harness is simply ignition power from the ignition.

• Like 1

The wires are coming directly from the ECU. That is why the pin numbers are given. Most of the wires will still go to the factory sensors and stuff. But a few have to be adapted. Since largely Datsun wiring is old and not up to snuff for the demands of the ECU (mainly due to the way it is wired), we relay things. This box simply turns things on when they are supposed to. Like part of the ECU and the FP.

So simply find the wire color coming from the ecu, you may need to look at the pin on the ecu to figure out which wire? And then simply attach it to the box.

The Black/White wire from the 510 harness is simply ignition power from the ignition.

Thanks for the reply, now I see why everyone says this box simplifies things so drastically. Guess wiring is the least of my worries this week during my swap.

• 2 weeks later...

where can i buy one of these? im swaping a ka24de-t into a 720 and have no clue what to do to wire this shit..

Well, look at the for sale section! Its a pinned topic. Also, I know these look easy, but its still a good idea to raise your knowledge of wiring from "no clue"

• 2 weeks later...

you dont need any extra relays at all and all the wires minus 3 come from the small connector right next to the ECU connection.

SR_Wiring1.jpg

The TOP(black) is my ground

The 4th Down is my Black/white from the Fues block

The BOTTOM (green) is to my Fuel pump

all the other wires were nicely found in that smaller connector(there are some that arent used just match your colors and you will be fine).

i placed my box close to my ECU and i didnt even have to extend any wires.

IMG_20120506_225420.jpg

• Like 2

you dont need any extra relays at all and all the wires minus 3 come from the small connector right next to the ECU connection.

SR_Wiring1.jpg

all the other wires were nicely found in that smaller connector(there are some that arent used just match your colors and you will be fine).

IMG_20120506_225420.jpg,

Thank you so much! This is just exactly what I was looking for! You are a life saver.

SR_Wiring1.jpg

IMG_20120506_225420.jpg

Okay so are the wires coming out of the canam connect to the ecu/eccs part or are they going out to the actual part that it powers?

Okay so are the wires coming out of the canam connect to the ecu/eccs part or are they going out to the actual part that it powers?

They go exactly where the Can/Am is labled for them to go. Basically all go to the ECU, minus the one that feeds the FP, the wire that is for keyed power (from the cars ignition switch)

All the Can/Am box does is turn on the ECU at appropriate timing, either by providing power or providing a ground.

They go exactly where the Can/Am is labled for them to go. Basically all go to the ECU, minus the one that feeds the FP, the wire that is for keyed power (from the cars ignition switch)

All the Can/Am box does is turn on the ECU at appropriate timing, either by providing power or providing a ground.

Thank you! I have a few questions more questions if no one minds lol...

Okay so the power transistor and ignition coil wires... Keep them right? I will be using the msd blaster set up. So from reading write up on wiring those i will need to keep them? Just double checking and triple checking.

Second question... Thermal transmitter... It came off the white connector next to the ecu that i cut. Do i need this? and if i do where does this thing wire up to/ does it wire back into the ecu?

i didnt actually get rid of any wires i didnt use in that connector just in case. i wasnt sure so i left them alone just didnt hook mine up to anything. assuming you match your colors and use the wires your suppose to it should fire up. i have a SOHC KA and mine worked first time i tried.

i didnt actually get rid of any wires i didnt use in that connector just in case. i wasnt sure so i left them alone just didnt hook mine up to anything. assuming you match your colors and use the wires your suppose to it should fire up. i have a SOHC KA and mine worked first time i tried.

Well i cut it like that pic above... and the thermal transmitter was in that connector and not connected anywhere else from what i can see... So does anyone know if i need that? I'm thinking I might lol But Lets hope i dont :P