How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

Icehouse

I find these wiring diagrams to be a bit confusing anyways, as in why the engine harness goes to the ECU, then spliced to the CAN/AM box?

Really? Should I make a drawing with them separate? I just thought that way people can see how it works.... Maybe my idea isn't that good though. I've just done this so long that I have everything important memorized. Sometimes I will refer to the FSM to find out what some certain wires do just because I can't remember why I de-pin them. So no matter how I see a drawing my mind unravels it. So the drawings make perfect sense to me.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those diagrams are perfect .... .. please don't delete any ....... . . . and the CAN/AM box makes everything SO easy..... :D

I never hooked up the orange wire for the "starter signal" .... .. Does the orange wire go directly from the ECU to the starter solenoid? (no fuse?)

. ... . and does it connect to one of the 2 posts on the solenoid that can be arc'd with a screwdriver to jump start???.. (the side that only gets power when the starter is cranking?)

Those diagrams are perfect .... .. please don't delete any ....... . . . and the CAN/AM box makes everything SO easy..... :D

I never hooked up the orange wire for the "starter signal" .... .. Does the orange wire go directly from the ECU to the starter solenoid? (no fuse?)

. ... . and does it connect to one of the 2 posts on the solenoid that can be arc'd with a screwdriver to jump start???.. (the side that only gets power when the starter is cranking?)

Thanks Indy :) They make perfect sense to me as well. I think I just need to spend more time explaining them. I want to make a you tube video, like one of how to install the CAN/AM box on an S13 harness.

yes the orange wire goes to the starter solenoid, aka the screw driver spot :) it should have a fuse according the FSM. I should add that in the drawing

• Like 2

i think the diagrams are ok, but they COULD be a little easier to show your box install.

Like maybe a dotted box around the relay and fuse part with specific connections to which relays, especially due your LED thingys. I havent recieved my box yet, might be easier to see when i have it.

I wouldn't change the diagram at all. I understood about 99.999% of it and I hate doing car wiring. It was clear enough for me to understand it I just had a question about one wire thats all. A definite THANK YOU for this information thats for sure. Myself and Mydailyroutine were able to do a complete Twin Cam swap purely from information found here on the worlds best Datsun website!!!!!

I wouldn't change the diagram at all. I understood about 99.999% of it and I hate doing car wiring. It was clear enough for me to understand it I just had a question about one wire thats all. A definite THANK YOU for this information thats for sure. Myself and Mydailyroutine were able to do a complete Twin Cam swap purely from information found here on the worlds best Datsun website!!!!!

Cool! That makes me feel much better about my drawings :)

Icehouse you ROCK!

I used the original "how to wire it into anything" diagram last summer, (along with the oem wiring diagram for the 96 KA), and 20 minutes later for mockup, the thing started 1st shot and ran great. I thought the diagram was excellent. It was a little intimidating just thinking about wiring an EFI motor into a non EFI car, but your diagram rocked and made it really easy. The car I'm building right now, we ordered one of your new boxes, so we'll see how that works out too. I imaging it will be awesome.

Please don't take down the original diagram though.

My CAN/AM box showed up today, thankyou Icehouse, I read the how to diagrams at the start of this thread, and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need to watch/help someone put it into there datsun first as I didn't even take "wiring 101", but I have to insert the engine into a datsun first. :lol:

Icehouse you ROCK!I used the original "how to wire it into anything" diagram last summer, (along with the oem wiring diagram for the 96 KA), and 20 minutes later for mockup, the thing started 1st shot and ran great. I thought the diagram was excellent. It was a little intimidating just thinking about wiring an EFI motor into a non EFI car, but your diagram rocked and made it really easy. The car I'm building right now, we ordered one of your new boxes, so we'll see how that works out too. I imaging it will be awesome. Please don't take down the original diagram though.

Thats why I always say I like EFI so much better than carbs, once it's running good... It just runs so damn good, hard to beat! I'm glad it went smoothly :) It makes me happy knowing the drawings help so many people get there EFI swaps working. I always remember back to my first EFI swap, I spent weeks tracing wires and trying to figure out what everything did before it finally started. Boy I would have loved to have one of these drawings back then!! That was about 10 years ago now though.

The CAN/AM box showed up yesterday, (thanks again), and I must say, it's even nicer in person than in the pics.

Thats great to hear :)

My CAN/AM box showed up today, thankyou Icehouse, I read the how to diagrams at the start of this thread, and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need to watch/help someone put it into there datsun first as I didn't even take "wiring 101", but I have to insert the engine into a datsun first. :lol:

I have faith in you. Once you get the engine in and start the wiring, one wire at a time of coarse it will seem much easier. It's like a math test. One problem at a time. Do the easy once first then the scary mess slowly gets to be less and less. I'm going to make a vid this summer for the KA but I think the idea and the concept is the same for all the Nissan EFI systems.

Ok added the box to it.

I like things simple/stupid.

Just trying to lend a hand.

I used the pics of the box because i do not have one yet, yes i know its backwards without redrawing everything its good.

SO you can see the question marks i put on there. Yes i see the ECU backup power wire goes to the backup screw, but the rest???

SRdiagram-vi.jpg

• Like 1

So you want me to re draw them like that? Or I could add a drawing like that to each engine. So there is two per engine.

I think doing it each way for each engine makes sense. That way if someone wants to do it w/o the Can/Am box, they will not need to figure out the wiring w/o the box in the diagram. Probably easy for you to just post new diagrams with the box and leave the existing diagrams alone.

BTW, I had to take a break from working on my 510 for a while(2 months) but I spent a few hours the other day completely unwrapping the VG harness and removing extra stuff that I will not need. Now that the harness is open, I changed the way I will be routing the wiring (again) so I can hide most of it. I split the injector wiring and I am running it along the back of the firewall and then under the upper manifold on each side. Looks much better this way. I Should finally be ready for a start up test in another week or so depending on how much time I can devote to working on it.

Vdubjim

what pins does it go to? I see the schematic lines going to the box but what pins soem look like inbetween

Example the Fuel pump ,does this go to 3 or 4. please route the line to the correct # or does one still need the FSM manual for pin layout?

quick510 wrote

I think doing it each way for each engine makes sense. That way if someone wants to do it w/o the Can/Am box, they will not need to figure out the wiring w/o the box in the diagram. Probably easy for you to just post new diagrams with the box and leave the existing diagrams alone.

I think hes right!

So you want me to re draw them like that? Or I could add a drawing like that to each engine. So there is two per engine.

Your current drawings are great for understanding what is going on "under the hood".

A drawing like above is better for the actual install.

The first time I looked at the current drawings I was quite confused. Mainly as to why the power went through relays and other things before going to the CAN/AM box, especially when the box was supposed to replace the relays.

• Like 1

Your current drawings are great for understanding what is going on "under the hood".

A drawing like above is better for the actual install.

The first time I looked at the current drawings I was quite confused. Mainly as to why the power went through relays and other things before going to the CAN/AM box, especially when the box was supposed to replace the relays.

These were my feelings as well, Jeff. I just wasn't sure if I was reading it wrong and didn't want to be an ass :P The way vdubjim drew it makes much more sense to me.

Im currently wiring my 97ka engine, have a 95 ecu and i think a 97 harness if not its 95. y is it there is hardly any wiring info for these ka engines. lol. Lookin for something like this.. http://www.240sx.ca/i/UNCUT-sr20de_L.jpg

for the 97 ka24, and i no longer have my stock fuse box so was wondering if the cam am box has its own fuses for engine management.. basically it runs on itself without the need of the origonal fuse box,, i dnt think i made sense so any help help is appreciated

chebetio510

I would keep the stock fuse box for all the stock wireing. electrical ect... for the whole car.

You take the blk/wht wire that went to the coil. This is your key ON wire that used to power the stock coil. Youll make this wire to tell the new CanAm box to turn ON.and I guess the "Starter wire" will turn on the other relay whn you turn key to START.

The CanAm box will power the engine managment harness with ECU. How Box gets its Power? Youll run a good size red wire from the battery + side. Most people use a terminal strip(juntion or shorting bar) or just power from the +side of the starter lug(battery) .

Your old Fuse box will still use the round lug(fusable link wire) at the battery starter also to get its POWER.

the can am box has nothing to do with POWER for other parts of the car.

• Like 1

in this months Project Car Magazine there is a how to for an NA SR20 swap into a Datsun Truck. Ratsun is mentioned so I think he is a member here, but it is very informative and helps a lot.... Would it be illegal to scan it and put it up for all of you, or would anyone even be interested?

Heres's my take on the wiring. Since there is some confusing about the diagram being 510-specific, I removed any reference to 510.

23092.jpg

And added the 10A fuse icehouse talked about.

And removed the 510 fuse box, since it doesn't actually seem to be involved...

Does it seem correct?

it is not.

Like i said in my original drawing post, where do the wires from the SR harness go to on the relay lugs, and you can see above i did not connect them.

Ive not been home to see my box so i dont know if he includes a simple pinout of the relays.

also in the pic there is a +12v IN next to each relay. So does power need to go in separately to each one or just one?

Again sorry if that info is included in the shipment.