help no start

c-krau18

i have a 85 nissan kingcab i bought for 300 bucks the only issue it has is i dosnt run. it seemes to backfire out of the carb and wont even sputer. the person who had it before me pulled off the destibuter. if anyone hs any ideas please share

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK what have you done to it lately? 

Did you have any of the spark plug wires off.... for any reason?

Christ on crutches Cranbrook??? I slept in my car in the crap tire parking lot one Dec. It gets cold there. Is your choke working? Take the top off the air filter. Is the choke plate closed?

If it is and there is a strong smell of gas get a long small stick and prop the choke open and try it, it may be flooded. Avoid pumping the gas, hold full throttle and crank until it starts.

If not closed wiggle the linkage to free it. When cold, the choke should snap closed when you press down on the gas peddle.

And this is why double posting is not allowed. Info needed for a diagnosis is spread out over two posts. Or left out of this one.

i have a 85 nissan kingcab i bought for 300 bucks the only issue it has is i dosnt run. it seemes to backfire out of the carb and wont even sputer. the person who had it before me pulled off the destibuter. if anyone hs any ideas please share

As long as it was only the distributor that was removed it can'be put back in wrong. It's very easy to get the wiring wrong with 8 plugs.

First get the motor at TDC on the #1 compression stroke. The middle pulley on the crank shaft has a small notch in it that will line up with the timing scale located near the alternator.

Lparts002Large.jpg

Zero or TDC will be the top most point.
Z24timingmarks004Large-1.jpg

You can confirm that this is the compression stroke by having the exhaust side #1 plug out and stick your finger in the hole. On the up swing, the compression will blow out. Stop, find the crank pulley notch and turn it up to the ZERO on the timing scale. You are at TDC.

Remove the distributor cap and look at the rotor. (yes there are actually two rotors in one) You want the top front facing one that should be at about 9:00 when looked at from the driver's fender and the wire on the cap above it should go to the intake side #1 plug. The other rotor will be around 4:00 and the wire above it got to the exhaust side #1 plug. The rest of the wiring is as follows. In fact the factory cap has the wire #s marked on it.

720timing002Large.jpg

the truck was driven a year ago and has been sitting since i have spark on all plugs. i have tryed proping open the choke and it didnt change anything.

the tank was empty when we moved it so its all new fuel and we have been trying starting fluid. it still back fires out of the carb tho

This is all relevant info that could be in the first post.. Z24s have a history of blowing the head gaskets. This may be why it was parked in the first place. Do, or have a friend do a compression test. Look for two adjacent low cylinders, specially #2 and #3. Was the rad full of antifreeze/coolant? This would be a good sign. Empty would possibly be a gasket gone bad.

are the 2.4L interfirence?

Yes. If intake valves a full open and piston brought to TDC they will hit. It shouldn't happen in normal operation.

for blown headgasket, you can also check the dipstick or valve cover cap and if color is like choc. malt, more than likely headgasket is done. Also check your spark plugs if super clean, specially ones that are next to each other, another sign.

It would have to off by more than one tooth but yes, is possible. Knowing previous gasket changes the chain tensioner usually falls out and the timing cover must come off to fix this. The oil pump and distributor also have to come out and the drive spindle for them can be put in way wrong. So in addition, the plug wires may be right, but the rotor pointing to the wrong cylinder.

Set to TDC like I suggested and see where the rotor is pointing. It should be to the #1 plugs. This is an easy check and an easy fix if the distributor is timed wrong. (by timed wrong I don't mean ignition timing. I mean it's firing the wrong cylinder)

If not this, then the cam may be timed wrong. Again if careful this is not a hard job to set right....and you may have got a good $300 truck!

This probably isnt the problem but having an empty tank of gas sitting for a year can be really bad for it can it not?
I could be completely wrong but when I was going to park my old FD for a while a bunch of people told me to keep the tank full so water couldnt seep into the tank (or something like that lol)

Well there are two TDCs. To be sure remove the valve cover and the front two cam lobes should be pointing downward or to be clearer, the front two valves closed. If they are, then yes the dizzy is indeed 180 out.

What you can do is just swap the wires around 180 to make it work. and this will work.

The proper thing to do is remove dizzy, drop the oil pump and the spindle that drives it. Turn it 180 and put back in. As the dizzy only fits the top of this drive spindle one way it will turn 180 back to where it should be. All you need is a12mm wrench for this.

What you want to see when you look down the hole where the dizzy goes it this... note that there is a small half moon on one side. It has to be to the front AND oriented at about 11:25. Now when the dizzy drops in it will be pointing at the #1 plug wires

motordistributortiming.jpg

how do i change this since the distributor has a off set slot on the rotor?

What you can do is just swap the wires around 180 to make it work. and this will work.

The proper thing to do is remove dizzy, drop the oil pump and the spindle that drives it. Turn it 180 and put back in. As the dizzy only fits the top of this drive spindle one way it will turn 180 back to where it should be. All you need is a12mm wrench for this.

What you want to see when you look down the hole where the dizzy goes it this... note that there is a small half moon on one side. It has to be to the front AND oriented at about 11:25. Now when the dizzy drops in it will be pointing at the #1 plug wires

motordistributortiming.jpg