620 transmission and performance parts

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for an auto transmission for my '72 620 and performance parts. Headers heads etc etc

The auto from a 510 would be the correct length also one from an A10 (later HL510) but only if 26" long and from a L series motor.

Header? Waste of money and waste of time even if the seller paid you to take it.

Nissan engineers spent a fortune and time on making the best cast iron header they could for the L16/18. Name one thing the header is better at (other than weight) than the stock exhaust manifold can do. Plus you don't have to do anything!!! You already have this marvelous exhaust on your motor and it fits perfectly, doesn't leak or need a new gasket, quieter, runs cooler under the hood, does not come loose every three months, never rusts out and need replacing every 3-5 years.

hearervsstockL16-18-1.jpg

Heads...

The only head that works properly with a stock L16 is the one on it. All others have a larger combustion chamber and will lower the compression.  The 'high performance" L16SSS uses a larger 219 head but it also has flat top pistons to increase the compression. A good 219 head is $350 and up. A closed chamber A87 head will fit but you are still stuck with a lowered compression. Stick with your stock head.

What you can look for is a cam from an L20B head. This has the same specifications as the L16SSS cam.

Replace the carb with a Weber 32/36. But buy new from Redline and save the hassle of used ,30 year old,  worn out, broken, rebuilt 10 X and missing parts, mismatched jets..... from someone else. New, they are just under $300 and the best bang for the buck and come with the manifold adapter, air filter, bolts and gaskets.

Another option is to replace the motor with a larger L20B motor.  about 20 more HP and gobs more torque. Torque is that kick in the ass you get when you punch the gas.

• Like 1

there's a used L20b engine w mikunis , whole set-up, minus tranny for like $800 on sale but lives in Antioch, CA.  I'm with Datzenmike on header issue. Keep or find an older exhaust manifold. I think Ztrain is selling one.  Good luck with the hunt.

I have one but i'm in Tucson.

You wanna ship it? Uship.com would most likely be cheapest.

Datzenmike=man your knowledge on these trucks seems endless! Yup thats the header I have and preciate the info on the heads. The truck came with a weber carb. I juat need to fine tune it and reroute the soft hose portion of the fuel line as it comes close to kinking. If I was to swap it would be a fuel injected ls 4.3 v6. Just do not have time for that right now.

• 2 weeks later...

You wanna ship it? Uship.com would most likely be cheapest. Datzenmike=man your knowledge on these trucks seems endless! Yup thats the header I have and preciate the info on the heads. The truck came with a weber carb. I juat need to fine tune it and reroute the soft hose portion of the fuel line as it comes close to kinking. If I was to swap it would be a fuel injected ls 4.3 v6. Just do not have time for that right now.

I'll look into it,but i'm betting that it will double the cost to $1000.00

ANyone want to guess the weight of a complete L-20B& five speed?

L20B long block is damn heavy.
bought one, used a cherry picker to load it into the truck,

but when i got home i could barely get that thing out. i had

to slide it to the tailgate, stack a bunch of tires next to tailgate,

and then struggle to pick it up just enough to drop it on the tires.

even the bare block itself (without crank) is a burden.

the transmissions, though, are small and light in my opinion.

i would guess 70-90 pounds maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.