Replacing brake hoses, nut on brake line won't come loose..

rundwark

Hey all,

I'm trying to replace my 510's half eaten up rubber brake hoses with some braided steel ones. Here's my noob problem: the nuts that sit at the end of the steel brake line are completely stuck.

First I tried WD40, then I got some Liquid Wrench, finally, I switched from trying to use a flare nut wrench to vice grips.

Still no game. The nut at the front left is getting pretty round already and I'm still getting no movement whatsoever.. I'm a bit at a loss here, any advice on what to try next?

Thanks!

pic of offending nut:

photo-1_zps5d072f29.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut that end off and take to NAPA and get a pre made brake line the same length for the effed one. Use yours to get the correct threads. Use a baseball bat to bend the line around. Shouldn't be $5.

O'Reilly's rents the bending tool and flare tool for doing this- free just need a deposit. I think I'm the only one that even rents the tools anyways, at my local all the tools are basically band new- unused.

Sometimes on the older stuff PB blaster takes some time to soak in.  I had some screws in the door that were not willing to come out.....that was on thursday.  With regular soaking and tapping on them, they came loose yesterday (what the hell happened to my font).

You're replacing the flex line anyway so no need to unscrew it. Snap off and either get a new fitting and flair the pipe end again if still long enough and the pipe's not damaged... or replace the whole line with a pre made one. I replaced the long and the short ones across the rear end of my goon for about $7. Fuck the bullshit of flaring pipe.

These:  http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-4LW-Locking-Wrench-Cutter/dp/B00004SBBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364153601&sr=8-2&keywords=vice+grip+wrench

-or-

These: http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-Locking-Wrench-With-Cutter/dp/B00004SBBD/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1364153565&sr=8-9&keywords=vise+grip

Depending on nut size.  They work better than flare wrenches for stuck fasteners, considering if you tighten them enough they will actually compress the fitting and break it free more easily.

Thanks for all the advice!  :thumbup:

It seems that every bolt on the brake system is equally stuck… So either I'm doing something wrong, or this stuff hasn't been touched in decades. Or both.

I'll get some PB blaster to soak the rest of them in and will also get some not-so-crappy flare nut wrenches (John is right, the cheap ones I got from Autozone are not worth the space they take up in my toolbox), to see if any other parts here will come loose without breaking.

When I get the other end of the effed hardline off without destroying more of the car, I'll take datzenmike's advice and get a new pre-made line from NAPA.

The saga continues… I'll update here when I've made some progress.

These:  http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-4LW-Locking-Wrench-Cutter/dp/B00004SBBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364153601&sr=8-2&keywords=vice+grip+wrench

-or-

These: http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-Locking-Wrench-With-Cutter/dp/B00004SBBD/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1364153565&sr=8-9&keywords=vise+grip

Depending on nut size.  They work better than flare wrenches for stuck fasteners, considering if you tighten them enough they will actually compress the fitting and break it free more easily.

Those look very promising, thanks. I'll definitely get them instead of more flare wrenches.

Currently going through the same thing right now.  Have one line on the diverrter valve for the brake lines that is just being a bitch.

Shot of PB

Tap on the wrench 15 to 30 seconds

Repeat...........for eternity

Just did stainless lines on my 510 - a good flare nut wrench goes a long way as well as a good overnight soak in pb blaster. hit em a couple times and then let them sit over night, hit em again and try loosening them. Be careful not to twist the hard line itself-  had one of my rears start twisting but I noticed it and was able to save it... then snapped one of the hard lines coming out of the MC because it twisted- those are short though. Be patient and take your time...  autozone rents tools as well there bender worked well- but I was thankfull I didnt need their flaring tool... it was ugly and well used-

PB blaster will be your best friend - also you may need a wrench on the soft line side I believe they are 17 or 19mm

Stuck brake lines were a common thing for me when I worked on Cars in the Midwest. A good flare wrench is the first step. I never had time to soak things with pb blaster or anything, the next step for me was the torch. You can use a small propane one to get it going. Heat that thing up! It will smoke and stink sure, but it works. Just don't get it too hot, because the rubber brake hose will explode. Scares the crap out of you the first time, but is a fun prank on your co workers after that. You are replacing the hose anyway right? LOL

Looks like that brake line is munched pretty bad. I would replace it with a pre made section after you get it all apart