New to Ratsun

dat808niss

Hi! I'm new to the Ratsun community, but I have loved Datsuns and Nissans for as long as I can remember.

I'm 22, and I was born and raised in Hawaii. I have a 240z and a 300zx.

There aren't as many Datsuns driving around in Hawaii as there used to be (thats what I've heard..) so it's very hard to find any for sale that don't belong in a junkyard.

I live in a small town on the BI, so whenever a rare car pops up for sale I usually have 7+ guys all trying to out bid me.

A few months ago I was about to close the deal on a survivor 280z, but the guy flaked right before money changed hands. He decided to "give it to his daughter" I don't know if thats true or not, but anyways...

Last September, I was lucky enough to get first dibs on a 71 240z for sale a few blocks away from my house. After a few phone calls and a trip to the bank, that Z was mine.

There were some minor surface rust spots and the car had been sitting in a garage for 7 years so it didn't start. The hatch didn't open and the brakes were f***ed, but I was not about to let this one slip away. The car needed some work but was still a lot cleaner than most of the others that tend to show up for sale.

I was able to get it running and I got to drive it around for a few months before the project got put on hold because I'm waiting (saving money) for some parts. 

Here are some pics I took the day I brought her home..

8581059463_f7646dbeff.jpg
WP_000821 by dat808niss, on Flickr

8581061483_79f9a2c169.jpg
WP_000837 by dat808niss, on Flickr

8581059859_0b043fc850.jpg
WP_000828 by dat808niss, on Flickr

8582162622_a549396c4f.jpg
WP_000797 by dat808niss, on Flickr

No Cracks! :)

I hope I uploaded those right..

Anyway, thats my Z! 

• Like 4
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paid $1700, it photographs really well. If you were to see it up close you would be able to see some cosmetic flaws, but there isn't anything too serious.

It still has most, if not all, it's original parts. I was happy to see the radio wasn't ripped out. I think the wheels are from an old Chevy truck, but other than that, all the parts are there (besides a missing bolt here and there..).

The seller wanted $2500, but I was able to bring it down to $1700. There aren't many of these cars for sale here so a lot of the time the owners can get away with over pricing (if they sell at all).

I was lucky, the elderly woman I bought it from was a hardcore Z fan and she wanted to sell it to someone who was as crazy about her car as she was. Thats why she decided to sell it to me. That's also why the car was in such great shape. She bought the car in 72 or 73 (second owner) and she had it rust proofed and kept it as a cruise car, not a daily. It was covered and under a garage most of its life. When I bought it from her the mileage was around 60,000. As you can imagine, I wanted to complete the deal asap. I handed over the money, got a tow ready, and the z was in my garage that same week. :)

Are there a lot of Datsuns for sale there?

In Hawaii, months can go by without even one showing up for sale... :(

I've been looking for a 4 door 510 for a really looooonnnnnnggggggg time with little luck..

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I'm slowly making progress on the z. I'm trying to find the right balance between the project, work, school, bills, family, etc. so sometimes it's hard to find the funds and the time to get as much done as I'd like. I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean.

All I can say for now is "it's coming along" :)