Door glass felt wipers

XXL

Does anyone make correct fitting repops for the door window wipers (not windshield wipers, the part that wipes the door glass when you roll it up and down)?  

The occasional rattle that I thought was the bottle jack turns out to be the door glass because of the slack in the worn out wipers.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did not have wipers as you are describing, they had these fuzzy strips, they did not keep water out of the door, the 620 was the first truck with traditional squeegees.

I may be wrong, the 320 had squeegees, but the 520/21 did not have them.

If your window is rattling, you need new window channel felt, I used early 510 felt in my 521, it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-521-INNER-AND-OUTER-DOOR-SQUEEGES-SET-NEW-OLD-STOCK-MADE-IN-JAPAN-/271165199470?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f22b4946e&nma=true&si=6qDeHsVaxV9cAuK6%252FL08AvOJr38%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here was a set CLAIMING to be nos coming out of thailand, but who knows.   They kinda look like it but ive never seen a nos set or even had mine out of my 521. If these were legit, it was a good deal with free air shipping.  Might see if they have more.

They did not have wipers as you are describing, they had these fuzzy strips, they did not keep water out of the door, the 620 was the first truck with traditional squeegees.

I may be wrong, the 320 had squeegees, but the 520/21 did not have them.

If your window is rattling, you need new window channel felt, I used early 510 felt in my 521, it works great.

Yes, we're talking about the same thing... "wipers" because the (presumably) wipe crap/dust/whatever off the glass before it goes into the door.  I may ALSO need the "felt" pieces (the ones that line the top 3 edges of the glass), but my OP is asking specifically about the bottom pieces that are on either side of the glass.  But, since you bring it up... I probably should be asking about the felt as well.

Here was a set CLAIMING to be nos coming out of thailand, but who knows.   They kinda look like it but ive never seen a nos set or even had mine out of my 521. If these were legit, it was a good deal with free air shipping.  Might see if they have more.

Yeah, they've got a liberal interpretation of what "NOS" means.  I bought some "NOS" taillights that are certainly not.  They're repops (and not very good quality ones at that-- the bulb separators were cut out of soft drink cans... literally soft drink cans... because they were silkscreened with the product labels just like a Dr. Pepper can, only in Thai).  So long as they work, I'd be OK with that.  I don't expect there to be very many true NOS parts still laying around after 45 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took the old wiper out then I cut of the old felt pulled off the chrome strip, cleaned it up. Then I took some of the old channel felt cut the sides off of it then I glued it on with contact cement. I should of took pictures but when I get a idea I dont stop.

The 521 did not come with exterior rubber squeegees, it came with fuzzy stuff.

Buy at your own risk, you might be able to get it to work though, let us know how it works out.

I actually used the early 620 squeegees on my 521 kingcab, but nothing holds it in there, it has just sit there all by itself so far though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the door channel felt from Thailand.  I paid $19 + $25 shipping.  His current listing has them priced at $15.50 + $15 shipping :devil: .  Took me about 15 minutes to install both sides.  They went in easily, and tightened up the seal on the glass quite a bit... exactly what I needed.  I bought from ebay seller atomboys.  He was a little weak on communication (speed and quality), but shipping was relatively quick, considering distance (about 2 weeks), and item was as described.  Here's a pic of the felt from his ebay listing.  There's not much to take pictures of on the truck of the actual install.

doorfelt.jpg

I did not replace the fuzzy wipers at the bottom because I haven't yet found them at a price I can swallow.  However, now that this felt is in, I don't really think I need to worry about the wipers for now.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I stripped the old fuzzy off the chrome strip and glued some window fuzzy from [/size]the hardware store:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53116286@N07/8625112030/in/set-72157625715299187/

Turned out great.

Keith

I am going to replace my window channel felt and I like your fuzzy overhaul

tec. You bought it a hardware store and glued to the old fuzzy

retainers? I saw the picture s just wanted to confirm your technique.

Thanks Sean

How much drag is on the window now when you roll it up? Basically with the original non rubber backed felt there was no drag at all. I bought some similar stuff on ebay listed for a 521 from a seller I dont remember and I was not satisfied with how easy it was to roll the window up. It was so hard to roll up I tried to trim them down and it turned out like crap.