B210 Goodness: Finally Picked up a Car(Dos?)

Kirden

Rain rain go away...

Alright, so I love the way this B210 looks except for the mirrors. Anyone know what lip this is?

6843312350_f6688b723b.jpg

I want these mirrors and grill:

riverstars.jpg

Also, kinda like the wheel styles on these cars. Similar but different number of spokes. Hard to decide between these and snowflakes.

1st wheels are SSR Star Sharks.

2nd are Riverside 101s 

Both rare and hard to get for a good price and in good sizes even on yahoo japan. 

Ive owned both and wish I never sold them, but will have more soon.

Cant really get them with a different number of spokes though?

the riversides have a 4 point star, the star sharks have the same 4 point star plus 4 more points in between each making 8 points.

Only other old styled Japanese wheels similar are techno phantoms which also have 8 points and star formulas which have 6 points but a different style. 

And good luck finding them. It took me 1.5 years to land some Techno Phantoms that won't going to cost me an arm and a leg. and Ive got 3 pairs of Star Formulas which were still pretty hard to get.  

Or maybe SSR MK3s also have 8 points but not star shaped, a lot easier to get tho (have a set on the way from Japan atm)

Personally id take any of these wheels over snowflakes, but as you may tell Im a little bias as I love the old Japanese wheels.

Front lip looks to be off a Kenmeri or Hakosuka (What im planning on running on my 120Y/B210)

They can be bought new off Yahoo Japan for about 10,000Yen plus postage (around 100-110 +post)

Id say they would need to be shortened, I haven't been able to find dimensions to confirm. But looking to buy one soon so can post up when I get one.

As for the mirrors the 1st look to be standard Japan model fender mirrors but painted black.

Second Im not to sure, look similar to the standard mirrors on my 120Y but shorter (maybe the base was just shortened? )

The 2nd grille is one of the standard grilles pretty is to find here in Australia dont know about availability in the US though, its just been painted.

Im after info in the 1st grille, seen plenty of the 4 standard b210/120Y grilles but only seen that style on 2 cars and both were slightly different, making me think their custom made from a standard grille and cutting the centre out replacing with mesh or whatever is there? 

You've found the same cars as I have for my inspiration, by far the nicest b210/120Y around. Also the beat works (light grey 2 door sedan) is up there with these too, a little more "out there" with flared rear guards and stupidly stretched tyres, but still a lovely car.

What colour are you planning on painting you b210?

EDIT-

Just browsing Yahoo Japan and found these (newly listed) 

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v128704035

Could be the same mirrors?  come in carbon fibre, black or chrome. And $100ish plus post.

Also if you cant source a grille local here one in Japan- Around 20-30$ plus post-

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d141209221

• Like 1
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we found the same style mirrors :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-510-1200-120Y-DOOR-MIRRORS-/160665395184?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2568675ff0&vxp=mtr#ht_461wt_932

Picking up a set of these, not really a fan of the fender mirrors on the B210.

Those cars are amazing, the best examples of 4dr sedans I could find. It will take a ton of work to be anywhere near that nice, but as soon as the title comes in I'll start working on it. The over all plan keeps changing, but for now I am working on replacing all of the bolts/nuts, hoses, and seals that I can get my hands on.

As for wheels I love all of the star designs I have seen. However, I can't see spending 1-2k for wheels when I have only put $750 into the car. Unless I find a good deal on some 6-spoke z rims I will probably end up getting some spun aluminum wheels (aero/bart/diamond) until I decide what my final goal is.

Thanks for the information on that grill. I found one last week but it sold already.

As far as paint goes I'm not sure yet. That blue is amazing, but I kinda like one of the stock datsun 1200 colors as well.

EH3 - Dark Yellow

1355.jpg

http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1355

I hope to have some real updates for this thread soon, but honestly I'm waiting to spend anymore money until the title shows up.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!

From this:

SAM_0192_zpsef85b0d9.jpg

To this:

SAM_0227_zps959adbcd.jpg

SAM_0228_zps1eb8d906.jpg

These manifolds are a pain in the ass to dismantle. Unless you have specific tools (curved/bench wrenchs) removing the carb requires removal of everything... And luck me, the last person who worked on the carb partially striped the inner rear nut, so we had to remove the bracket that secures the throttle cable, which requires the removal of the bracket behind it...

So, can an A series be de-smogged if you still use the stock hitachi? It would be much easier to deal with it now so that I don't have to worry about it when I start designing my SC setup.

Thats all we did to the B210 today. I also had to deal with a carb issue on the 620 when I got home from work. Gonna pick up some pinesol to soak the carb for a week before I rebuild it. Figure a few days to loosen things up, then dismantle and scrub and back in a fresh soak for a few more days. I have next Saturday off so I'll be researching de-smoging the a-series and hopefully get the carb rebuilt and mounted back.

• Like 1

lol, gotta love that hitachi :P

Eventually I will be using a weber, but for now I just need the car to run. It will inherit my 32/36 from the 620 once the LZ build is complete. I hope that I can revive the hitachi because having decent mpgs would be fun (620 gets 13-14 average) but we shall see.

It was raining off and on today so I didn't get much done. Got the tank out:

SAM_0209_zps0c69ac46.jpg

Sending unit out, its pretty trashed:

SAM_0210_zpsdd321b58.jpg

There is a thin layer of gunk/rust in the tank. Calling a radiator shop tomorrow to see about hot tanking it with the radiator, if that doesn't work out in will ride in the back of my truck with a few fist fulls of rocks.

Also want to find someone with a media blaster to tank care of this:

SAM_0211_zps6f063b65.jpg

SAM_0212_zps922e3775.jpg

Also removed the back seat, no pics though. Back seat frame is in good shape, finally have a frame to try my hand at upholstery. Will be looking for some interior pieces but it will be slow. Found out I have to pay out about $3k by the end of the year... Gotta love those student loans.

Ha! That's how my tank looked when I took it out of my 75 B210!! I had my tank restored for $180.

Getting some new parts from RA. Here is a list of the current stash + the new parts:

Oil, fuel, and air filter

25ft fuel hose

fuel pump

brake master cyl

clutch master and slave cyl

rear wheel cyls

fron caliper rebuild kits

carb rebuild kit

plugs and wires

oil pan gasket (still not sure how hard this is to change without pulling the engine)

valve cover gasket

50ft vacuum hose

cheapo battery

fuses

new fluids

cleaned and sealed fuel tank

Trying to decide what else I need to pick up before I do an initial start up. Dripped a little MMO down the spark plug holes today. I only have one day off again this weekend so not much will be done (hope to have the carb rebuilt and possibly installed).

I know I still need windshield wipers, brake pads and shoes, tires, and sideview mirrors before I try to drive it. I also thought about replacing the wheel bearings while I'm at it. Still need to inspect the brake lines.

Now I have another question. I'm replacing my brake and clutch master cyls because the brake fluid has evaporated and left a crystalized mess around the seals. I'm guessing that this same mess will be in the hoses and lines since the car sat for about 4 years (that I know of). Would it be best to replace all of the hoses and lines or is there some way to clean the hardlines out and just replace the hoses?

Feel free to make other suggestions as far as what to replace to get this back on the road safely.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

So it has been a long time since I made any progress at all. The craptachi carb was a bust. It's now pretty well oxidized in the back yard. However, I have good news! On the 11th my baby is moving to my new house and I get to start throwing the rather large parts pile at her. Hopefully I throw everything just right and I don't bust any knuckles, but I doubt that will happen.

Now I have a real problem though. I can't decide if I should buy redline's 32/36 kit or if I should go another route. I know the eventual goal is to have a low boost (5-9psi) supercharger build which will most likely require more than a 32/36 can handle. I've thought about going with a single DCOE, but I would need to find an oval port manifold and I would need a different exhaust mani/header. I'm not looking to spend more than $1k to get this baby up and running. Luckily I already have everything but the carb to get it running as long as the engine is in good shape, but I have no idea how much a cannon mani and header will run on top of the $350 for the DCOE.

Any input would be great.  I'm more familiar with the 32/36 than any other carb, the side draft would be completely new territory. As far as timeframe, there really isn't a deadline. Luckily I get to start building this and be patient.

On the brake lines. In the past I have broke the lines fee from the master cylinder, calipers and rear wheel cylinders filled the lines with brake clean (spray fluid) let sit for a couple of days, drain and then flush with brake fluid. After flushing with brake fluid hook all lines back to thier original locations and pressure bleed. Works rather well.

I would only recomend this if your brake lines are in good repair (not flattened or rusted).

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I will try that. As far as I have seen all of my lines are in decent shape, but the old fluid in the master has crystalized so I had thought that I would need to replace them all, but if this works that will save me some time. My first priority is getting all of the hoses and fluids replaced and getting the brakes working.

I still have to figure out whatall I'm working with. Its a 78 with an A15 and a 4-speed manual, which I've been told is a pretty strange combo :P

• 4 weeks later...

So it is now Oct 30th and my landlord still hasn't fixed my driveway. I'm fuming over this. I had the tow truck driver stop by my house and he flat out told me that he would not go up my driveway unless I got it fixed. This is the same driveway that basicly destroyed my 620s carrier bearing housing, and now its so bad that the 89 oldsmobile I got for free is scrapping and its at stock ride height.

The main problem is that the tow driver has to back up the entire driveway to drop the car.

Anyways, on to the slight progress. I'm sourcing a stock carb temporarily while I search for a single DCOE manifold. I also dropped a teaspoon of MMO down each cylinder and turned the crank by hand. Its not locked, and no wierd clanking noices. I'm trying to figure out the best way to drop the oil pan but the oil we drained didn't have anywierd particles. The fact that it sat for atleast 5 years bothers me, but supposedly it was due to carb problems and after trying to pull part the old carb I can see why. The seals were rough and everything was loose.

We're still a long way from start up. I still need new fuel hose (not sure what size) and I want to flush the coolant system. Not to mention we're still looking at our options for a temporary stock carb. 

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome, you're in for a very slow ride... Goal is to be road worthy, low and slow bumping the A15 along, by June. I have tons of little parts to replace already, and pretty sure I'll find more that need to be replaced once I get started. If the rain subsides the wrenching will begin tomorrow. This is the perfect reason for me to skip thanksgiving with the family :thumbup:

• Like 1

So, car shows up today 15 minutes after the fedex guy drops off the matchbox for my 620. What do I do? Decide to tear into the car :P

Before we get into this, sorry for horrible cell pics, but atleast I had a camera this time.

Pulled the radiator cause I wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I checked the engine last time. Had to see if it was seized. Found some interesting stuff...

IMG_20131127_160659_zpsbec06101.jpg

My thoughts? The car was possessed and this is ectoplasm In all reality, this stuff was a really oily ge3l. probably some antifreeze residue. I didn't happen to get a picture of the bottom hose coming off cause I had to find a bucket for the antifreeze... Could have swarn we drained this thing before.

And wiggle the breaker bar behind the fan, hook it to the crank and a very light pull:

IMG_20131127_161220_zps7288b6f3.jpg

Houston, we have movement. Actually, we have very smooth movement with no scrapes, crunching, cracking, or any other unwanted noise. Hurray!

Then out of the blue I noticed something I had never noticed before... Maybe others have noticed it in previous piucs (over even the pic above), but I was sorta struck. As you know if you have read, my B210 has an A15 with H89 head. It was rumored to be a true JDM swap from a few POs ago and that's all good, but the only vehicle that came with this configuration was a C120 (datsun van). Of course there are plenty of explanations, but maybe, this will help or hurt the rumored story:

IMG_20131127_161431_zps3fc9b630.jpg

Going back to digging into parts now. Please feel free to debate :P

Oh, forgot something that may or may not be important. one of the POs cut the exhaust so I haz straight pipe!  :blink:

IMG_20131127_163910_zps45ee4d3f.jpg

And is this thing right here needed? 

IMG_20131127_161323_zpse1b1484a.jpg

Below the engine under where the radiator should be. Looks like a skid plate or guard of some kind. Feels like pretty heavy grade metal. Its thicker than the tabs on my 620s frame

EDIT: Proof of said straight pipe

Welcome, you're in for a very slow ride

the B210 shouldn't be too bad with the A15. Not fast but will keep up with traffic, do 80 MPH no problem, and keep out of the way as long as you let it rev up when accelerating.

Early A15s make max power at 6000 rpm so rev it up. Later A15s make max power (less power) at 5000 or so because they have a low-speed cam. But if the H89 head is original to that block then it should have the hotter cam.

Lol, I meant the restore will be slow. the 620 takes priority until it is back on the road, then the B210 work really starts. The PO said this engine was imported and swapped in and this combo (H89 + A15) came in the C120-C22 vans. I have a "Nissan" notched rocker cover that is from a C22 van, so it is probably a later A15.

I've looked it over a good bit now and I'm really thinking I should pull the head, rering the pistons, and replace all of the bearings and seals so I have a fresh start. This engine hasn't ran in over 4 years and the only reason I was given was that the PO before the ratsun member I purchased it from couldn't get it to idle. Supposedly it would rev but it never idled. 

The only things left to purchase are fuel hose, fluids, and rings/bearings if I tear it down. I don't know what size hose I need but the stock fuel hose is all rotten. Figure I'll cut some off and take it to the parts store with me to figure out the size.