Hard to shift question...

bmacster

With the brake saga finally done and over with, I am turning my attention to other issues with the truck. One that has bugged me since I have gotten the truck, that it is hard to shift into any gear when I start the truck and it idles up (2000rpm)

After it idles down, it has no problem shifting at all. Even when driving, it doesn't have any issue at all, except when it is first started and it goes into warm up idle. 

I have replaced the clutch slave cylinder and the hydraulic line, thinking that was the issue, but it is still doing. Alas, that was not. I would assume it may be the clutch master cylinder, but again, not 100% and thus, come to you experts! 

I do not believe it is the clutch/throw out bearing but I wouldn't be surprised (175k miles) 

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The clutch and pressure plate may not be disengaging completely. If, when revved up, you put in the clutch... try to put in reverse. If it continuously grinds then this is the case. The oil should slow down the spinning gears within a second or so... if not then something is dragging.

The clutch and pressure plate may not be disengaging completely. If, when revved up, you put in the clutch... try to put in reverse. If it continuously grinds then this is the case. The oil should slow down the spinning gears within a second or so... if not then something is dragging.

I'll do the oils in the transfer case and transmission. Been having a struggle finding a local supplier. 

GL-4 80w90 is recommended. Don't let some young collage boy behind the counter tell you that GL-5 is better or supersedes GL-4.... it is better, but what makes it better is the anti scuff additives that are murder on your brass synchro rings. Look for an oil that is marked 'Yellow Metal Safe'

GL-4 80w90 is recommended. Don't let some young collage boy behind the counter tell you that GL-5 is better or supersedes GL-4.... it is better, but what makes it better is the anti scuff additives that are murder on your brass synchro rings. Look for an oil that is marked 'Yellow Metal Safe'

Would the Redline MT-90 75w-90 work? Same stuff I use in my car since that requires GL-4 as well. 

And definitely only GL-4 in the transmission. Some one put GL-5 or AFT in the Protege, shifted like crap. Put MT-90 in it and it shifts like butter.

ATF works fine in an automatic which also had copper/bronze and steel gears but is force lubricated and has a cooler so thinner viscosity is fine. I myself wouldn't run it but in cooled climates it might be an idea. My '70 Dart had 90w gear oil, or was supposed to, I had transmission noise at 6 months so had my garage check it, and it was full of ATF. WTF I said, I'm not messing with that. Took it in and they rebuilt it under warranty. I asked them about the ATF and they said it was fine in the Ontario climate which can get down to zero F. Well I drove it to my garage and they replaced with the proper 90 weight gear oil. Never had another problem but on really cold nights I had to shut it off in neutral or in the morning I couldn't pull it out of gear because the oil was like tar.

Redline is fine if it is compatible with copper/brass and bronze.

ATF works fine in an automatic which also had copper/bronze and steel gears but is force lubricated and has a cooler so thinner viscosity is fine. I myself wouldn't run it but in cooled climates it might be an idea. My '70 Dart had 90w gear oil, or was supposed to, I had transmission noise at 6 months so had my garage check it, and it was full of ATF. WTF I said, I'm not messing with that. Took it in and they rebuilt it under warranty. I asked them about the ATF and they said it was fine in the Ontario climate which can get down to zero F. Well I drove it to my garage and they replaced with the proper 90 weight gear oil. Never had another problem but on really cold nights I had to shut it off in neutral or in the morning I couldn't pull it out of gear because the oil was like tar.

Redline is fine if it is compatible with copper/brass and bronze.

Right on, and yes it is compatible with copper/brass/bronze material. The Protege's were all like that until 2003 then went to the newer setup they have currently.

I figure the 75-90 will be fine for here (Seattle area) with the off hand drive over to eastern Washington during the summer for camping. Not going to be thrashing it otherwise and it'll only be driven 40-50 days out of the year.