Restrictor in vacuum hose?

Telkwa

Yesterday I replaced all the vacuum hoses near the carburetor.  One very short piece, about 2" long, had a hard spot in the middle.  I thought maybe someone had jammed a BB down inside the hose, but I could see daylight so I slipped the little piece of hose into a pocket and moved on.  I shoulda paid more attention.

This morning I was cleaning out pockets and came across that hose again.  Turns out there was something in there.

P3160031.jpg

Notice the piece of hose has a yellow stripe on it.  Not much left of the yellow paint now but it woulda been obvious 27 years ago.  I'm pretty sure this was something done at the factory.  Can anyone help me out?  I'd like to know what it does, and where it goes.  I'm pretty sure the hose was on the right side of the carb.  The fact that it was so short narrows it down to just a few candidates.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely it's the vacuum delay for the distributor advance. It prevents sudden sharp and short changes in advance and this reduces emissions.

Is it needed? I am going to be doing the lines on my rig. I think this is the first time I have seen/heard of that restrictor though.

• Like 1

bmac -

Unless your hoses are really old & hardened, you should be able to feel the restrictor, and possibly see the yellow paint if it's still there (or ever was).  I thought for sure I found it way over on the passenger side of the carb.  I changed out the piece of hose that goes to the distributor pot yesterday - it was bent almost into a "U" and I thought for sure it was longer.  I need to go back out there and look.  Maybe the restrictor was on the line that controls the distributor but it wasn't near the distributor? 

Now that you know what I found, all you'd have to do when you're pulling your hose is be on the watch for an odd little lump in a hose.  I was having too much fun pulling out old hose and didn't want to stop.  If I'd just slowed down and investigated when I first felt the lump in the restricted hose I wouldn't be trying to undo my mistake now!

• Like 1

Thanks, kickstart!

After reading this thread on NICO Forums, (which I posted to) I looked through the pile and found two more hoses with restrictors.  One fairly long one with a gray paint band, and another yellow-painted one.

It'd be one thing if I knew about the restrictors and decided to leave them out.  But deleting them because I was a doofus is another thing entirely.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

i just ran into this today too.  I have several hoses with restrictors in them.  Does anyone know if there is a diagram somewhere that identifies the correct location of the lines with the restrictors?

• Like 1