OMG! Need some help... ELETRICAL!!

My car had some shorts but it was still drivable... Just wanted to let you guys know that right away before the rebuild.

So here I go.... I tore everything apart for the rebuild and well when I was going to hook up the battery, sparks went a flying... This only happens when the fusible link is installed BTW.... I know that negative goes to ground and positive goes to the starter.... So that's is how it currently is... What could cause this predicament? Any ideas????

I might just take it too an electrician to fix all my bugs if no one wants to help me out....

THANKS!!!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My car had some shorts but it was still drivable... Just wanted to let you guys know that right away before the rebuild.

So here I go.... I tore everything apart for the rebuild and well when I was going to hook up the battery, sparks went a flying... This only happens when the fusible link is installed BTW.... I know that negative goes to ground and positive goes to the starter.... So that's is how it currently is... What could cause this predicament? Any ideas????

I might just take it too an electrician to fix all my bugs if no one wants to help me out....

THANKS!!!!!

Alternator internal fault OR voltage regulator would be my first guesses. Have the alternator checked, and if it comes back clean (no faults), get a new (or at the very least new to you) voltage regulator.

OK OK OK!!! I took off all the wires from the alternator and then I was able to plug in the battery wires with out a problem.... Then the lights went on and I was able to turn the motor over with the key... The alternator I got is not from the same year... My old alternator had the black cap in the rear "74" model. This one is all aluminum from a newer car. Could this newer alternator be causing the problem? Or am I wiring it wrong. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I'M SOOOOOO CLOSE!!!!!!! It turns over now... I DONT KNOW NOTHING!!!!!!!!

BTW: I'm going to check the alternator to be sure... But it should be new...

I would suggest going here....http://www.olddat.com/620tech.htm & check out the wiring diagram for your year 620. Electrical sucks [for me anyways] but at least our trucks have a basic design. I say buy a test light & a multimeter & start checking wires one by one.

that's exactly what I did... I didn't want to submit a new thread with out looking at the 620 diagram.... I will try that test light thing.... I will have to ask my dad how to use it...

"I"m not very electrical"

I think so man... I just looked at my receipt and it says a 1980 model 720.... I went to rockauto and looked at the 1974 model part # and it don't match the 1980 720 part number for alternator... I JUST WANTED EXTRA POWER!!!! I'm stupid... I'll go return it tomorrow...

something is making me wonder if you might have combined a internally regulated alternator with the factory external regulator. Is this possible??

if he is running a internally regulated alt, then the factory external reg is to be removed and the wiring is to be modified to suite the new internal alt. both should never be used together.

i have the mod diagram for a 510 if it would help

Motivated,

should put the same stuff back in before upgrading just to keep thing on the simple.

Know your parts.that your putting on.All you was doing is changing a motor. Put the same stuff back on so you wont get confused or add bad parts then get more confused

a IR alt with the external reg will give a overvolt floating reading (thats what I have seen)