Blue Ballz KA24E 210 swap

CWhip

I dunno how cutting a spring would stiffen it if its wound the the same all the way down. 

Imagine it straightened out. Now imagine it is ten feet long. It will be very easy to bend. Now cut it down to two feet long. Not so easy to bend is it?

It's called leverage.   B)

Regardless of what ggzilla keeps saying, every spring gets stiffer when you cut it shorter. That's just basic physics. There are not magic springs that maintain the same rate regardless of how tall they are. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring rates are determined by how many lbs it takes to compress the spring 1 inch. Dont hold me to that but im pretty sure thats how it works. So rather the spring is 10ft long or 10 inch long the compression rate would be the same as long as you were testing a linear spring.

Spring rates are determined by how many lbs it takes to compress the spring 1 inch. Dont hold me to that but im pretty sure thats how it works.

In fact, that's EXACTLY how it works. 

So rather the spring is 10ft long or 10 inch long the compression rate would be the same as long as you were testing a linear spring.

Ah, but now you're basically comparing two different springs. 

If you took the 10 foot spring, and cut it down to 10 inches, it would take a LOT more force to bend it the same amount. It just does. 

If you don't believe me, try the experiment I mentioned?

Take a 5 foot piece of rebar, see how much force it takes to bend it down 1". Now cut that rebar down to 1 foot and see how much force it takes to bend it down 1". You'll see it takes WAY more force to bend the short rod than the longer rod. 

• 3 weeks later...

odd..... RO doesn't normally fuck my shit up....   what parts are you waiting on?

This is the second time the part numbers have matched what I ordered and what was on the box but the part in the box was totally wrong. I'm waiting on a tie rod assembly for the drivers side. And the coilovers I ordered from someone else.

This is a fairly easy looking swap! Sweet!! Looks like you could scare the shit out of people with it. So everything was pretty much bolt in once you had the engine and drivetrain?

It still scares the shit out of me sometimes haha! It took me close to a year to source all the parts BEFORE I started and then you still end up needing shit and stalling. Once you get going it wasn't all that bad, especially with help.

• Like 1

Thanks. I love sleepers as well. Totally unassuming car that will blow your doors off! The exhaust is nice and mellow. I didn't want the fart can sound. And I did have to cut for the shifter. Still have to come up with something to make it look cleaner on the inside. I will say I love having the short shifter tho! It was a must have because of the e-brake.

And I'm pretty sure if I had this kind of power in my 210 back in high school, I'd be dead! It's a handful but so much more fun!

Can you post pics from the inside so I can see how far off it is?

Thanks. I love sleepers as well. Totally unassuming car that will blow your doors off! The exhaust is nice and mellow. I didn't want the fart can sound. And I did have to cut for the shifter. Still have to come up with something to make it look cleaner on the inside. I will say I love having the short shifter tho! It was a must have because of the e-brake.

And I'm pretty sure if I had this kind of power in my 210 back in high school, I'd be dead! It's a handful but so much more fun!

This is the second time the part numbers have matched what I ordered and what was on the box but the part in the box was totally wrong. I'm waiting on a tie rod assembly for the drivers side. And the coilovers I ordered from someone else.

It still scares the shit out of me sometimes haha! It took me close to a year to source all the parts BEFORE I started and then you still end up needing shit and stalling. Once you get going it wasn't all that bad, especially with help.

Yeah. I saved this thread. This is a great read. This is probably the swap I'll do In my hatchback someday.

When I get the front end put back together and can get it outside.

My coilovers showed up today!

20131206_101308_zps72e80c37.jpg

And installed

20131206_115137_zps6675128f.jpg

Thanks ericwaslike! Now just have to wait for my tie rods, hopefully tomorrow!

• Like 1

When I get the front end put back together and can get it outside.

My coilovers showed up today!

20131206_101308_zps72e80c37.jpg

And installed

20131206_115137_zps6675128f.jpg

Thanks ericwaslike! Now just have to wait for my tie rods, hopefully tomorrow!

Sweet no welding.  That inspires me to invest in the coil over kit.  

• Like 1

If you just want lowering, you can even lower the stock springs with collars. No need for aftermsrket voilovers unless you want very firm springs.

Oh, wow- that's true!  SWEEEEEET.  That's why I love RATSUN: there are guys, and gals (but mostly guys) that have done cool things in cool ways for people on a budget, like me.  Thanks guys! I think i am going to do the split collar lowering project, with lowering blocks in the back.  Either way, I would need to use 280z shocks in front and back.  When I check at Oreilly AUto Parts it seems like the tops of the B210 and 280 z are threaded, so I figure they will be the same thread, just shorter travel.  Anywho, Thanks again guys!

-Octavio

Oh, wow- that's true!  SWEEEEEET.  That's why I love RATSUN: there are guys, and gals (but mostly guys) that have done cool things in cool ways for people on a budget, like me.  Thanks guys! I think i am going to do the split collar lowering project, with lowering blocks in the back.  Either way, I would need to use 280z shocks in front and back.  When I check at Oreilly AUto Parts it seems like the tops of the B210 and 280 z are threaded, so I figure they will be the same thread, just shorter travel.  Anywho, Thanks again guys!

-Octavio

Swapping to a shorter shock insert will mean you need to cut/reweld the strut. 

Split collars will only need to have the spring perch cut off.

• Like 1