Blue Ballz KA24E 210 swap

CWhip

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20131011_133323_zps88f092ab.jpg

Stopped on the way home today just for you Redeye!

I've been waiting for my kids to get done with football (7-0 baby!) so I can take a weekend and work on my car. I've got some zx front brakes to put together and I also picked up a stock tach instrument cluster from colourbox to wire in.

panelfront_zps4515e2f7.jpg

Still doing some research on how to get it to work with the ka. Didnt want to get any comments about get called a noob and learn how to use the search function! Cars not done by any means but it's been almost a year now for the swap and I consistently get 29-32 mpg and the stock 210 isolators are holding up just fine.

• Like 2

Ok guys I need some help. I pulled my gauge cluster out to install the one with the tach. Found the tach plug and its different than the back of the tach. Looks like this

20131016_153602_zps326b7d76.jpg

20131016_153555_zpse4af08cf.jpg

Back of tach looks like this

20131016_153537_zps425756ce.jpg

Can anyone tell me which wire is supposed to go where? I'm gojng to have to pull the wires out of the plug and the only one that is getting 12 volts is the green w/blue stripe. The others, according to the wiring diagram, go to lights. Which one is the signal wire from the motor? I guess I'm having a hard time reading the diagram (not a 1st by any means!)

Any help would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I blew out my tie rod on the drivers side today :crying: sliding around a corner and hit a pot hole. So the cars down until I get new ones. So while I've got it apart I've been working on getting my 280zx brakes ready to go in. I've overloaded the search function and now my head hurts. Just curious what shock inserts guys are running in their 210s doing this swap. I'm not planning on slamming it on the ground, just a little lower. I don't mind the suspension being pretty stiff. Might cut the springs, might go coilovers. Haven't made up my mind there yet. There's plenty of info for the 510s and from what I've read the rear shocks from the MR2 are the popular choice. Thoughts?

Thanks jesusno2. Good to know, it just seems those are the ones everyone goes with.

So I got my stock ones off and removed the lower perch.20131109_152427-1_zps1c0236a6.jpg

Got to grab some split collars and set them. How many coils do I need to cut off the stock springs. I thought I read somewhere its 2? I'm still looking for some input on shocks and I wanted to see what else I needed to order once I got them off and I can add a new ball joint to the list.

if your using a split collar you could prolly not cut em at all. the spring rate on the 210 spring is next to nothing. could prolly compress the spring and set the collar??? As far a shocks go i would get a set of adjustable inserts. they cost more, but man, being able to dial in your shocks is priceless in my opinion.

• Like 1

I dunno how cutting a spring would stiffen it if its wound the the same all the way down. they make progressive springs that get stiffer the farther they compress. i dunno what the point is really. I'm going to use a coilover on my 210 with a 200lb spring. i ran that spring on my 510 wagon with a single cam ka i liked it for daily use set the shocks on a softer mode and its nice. like i said shocks are where you can tune the ride you want. I'm purely guessing, but the 210 sping is in the 100 to 150 lb range???

Use the stock 210 inserts. The are OK for up to 2" drop.

Stock ones were gone a long time ago. I put kyb's in there when I redid all the ball joints and tie rods. Plus they stick up out of the 280 strut tubes too far.

I dunno how cutting a spring would stiffen it if its wound the the same all the way down. they make progressive springs that get stiffer the farther they compress. i dunno what the point is really. I'm going to use a coilover on my 210 with a 200lb spring. i ran that spring on my 510 wagon with a single cam ka i liked it for daily use set the shocks on a softer mode and its nice. like i said shocks are where you can tune the ride you want. I'm purely guessing, but the 210 sping is in the 100 to 150 lb range???

I was going to wait and do coilovers with a 200# spring as well but since I broke it and it's apart right now... Either way I want the shocks to be adjustable.

210 uses linear rate springs so cutting them won't make a firmer spring rate.

You can use 280ZX rear springs which are 25% stiffer than 210 springs.

Ok, I know there's a zx at the PnP so maybe/hopefully the rears are still there.