differences in 521's

datsuntrucker

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 521 has different doors, I didn't change them so someone did in the past 41 years. I'll take a picture of them but one has holes and treads to bolt a arm rest. Other door just has some indents without holes. Lol

my dads is th same way nd his is in original paint so it could be from the factory that way

"I breezed through this but did everyone forget the whole J13 ~~ L16 thing or did I miss it?"

There are two "differences in 521" threads.  The other thread does have the minor J-13, L-16 difference.

While I am here, my most recent 521 purchase, also my latest manufactured 521, May of 1971, has a spring on the hinge of the gas filler door, and does not have a spring loaded catch.

Trucks have different antenna locations because it was a dealer installed or aftermarket... For the shoulder belts, I think they all have a flat spot in that location.  But, Im sure if you drilled a hole, there wouldn't be a nut behind for the belt bolt to screw into.  (72s have a nut mounted to the backside of the outside pillar)

68s have smaller 520 style taillights and j13 engine

69 j13 also then switching to l16 

(j13 came with 4.875 and l16 came with 4.375 gears)

70 and earlier have round reflectors.  No door lock plungers.  the locking is done with the door lactch (push forward to lock, back to open door).  wing windows dont have a latch button. (easier to break into).  also dont have the extended wheel well on the left side of the bed for the emission evap tank or whatever it is...

72 auto choke and shoulder belts

grills.. not sure when they changed style, maybe the same time as the side markers... or whenever they ran out on the assembally line..

pics also show round reflectors vs rectangle lights

68 - 70

photobucket-23178-1350969083355.jpg

71 - 72

2013-01-23163939.jpg

Im sure im forgetting something...

knew I forgot something...maybe more...

70 and earlier have the brake pressure switch on top of the "T" block (like the oil pressure switch) for the brake lines on the firewall. later 521s are a switch under the dash.

My 70 came with the arm rest option. Not sure when they started that option...

Are the tranny tunnels different with the J to L change? I know the shifter/access holes are smaller. As for the harness, I know my 70 has a different fuse block then my 72. Im running the 70 block on my 72 (size is the same) and they have different fuse ratings. Is the only difference the side markers and then the 72 auto choke?

Whats difference with the hazard switch?

• 2 weeks later...

My truck was built in August of 1969 and is a 70 model.  It must be one of the first ones made with L16.  It has round reflectors.  It has door pulls above the door upholstery.  The options on my truck are just hazard flashers and the cigarette lighter.  For some reason, my truck has non-removable tailgate chains, and they look very consistent, but I don't know if they are original.

When I was a kid, we had a 71 521 with factory air, or it might have been dealer-installed.  It was a custom fit setup for a 521, but it was under the dash.

Since I started driving my truck every day, I have run into two guys who worked at the Datsun dealer in 1970, and they found the truck very interesting and stopped to visit with me.  They told me that the trucks were shipped with the mirrors uninstalled, and as you probably know, a lot of the Datsuns got "big rig" mirrors on them brand new.  The small mirror wasn't on there to begin with.  The mirrors might have been installed in somewhat different locations.

hey rocket dog i just noticed your location is in port hueneme i live in oxnard i was going threw your posts and the mechanic you took your 521 too would happen to own a red 620 long bed with a camper shell?

The mechanic is Humberto, the body and paint guy is Julio, the upholstery guy is Fernando, the tow truck guy is Angel.  I never knew there were so many Irish guys in Oxnard.

Seat Belts: Got mine through seat belt planet