1960 PLG-222

Trouble

222 stuff mostly appears in the 320 section. 222 rear hubs/drums are on a tapered shaft, so stuck is normal. There is a similar discussion in the 320 section from about a year ago with a title like “lug nut studs/rear drums” started by RustyDawg. Great to see another 222 on here. Are you using this kind of puller:?2F916938-36CA-4288-B569-D2C29F3F4C9E.thumb.jpeg.94b7429d781bc3cc7c362794dc1acae5.jpegno idea why it’s sideways….

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It (mine)is possibly a little larger, I am letting it sit overnight with about 300 ft. lbs. of torque on it.  I guess I will have to try some heat on it.  Thanks for letting me know it has a tapered shaft, at least I'm headed in the right direction. Jerry

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/16/2022 at 5:46 PM, Jerry J said:

Hi!  I also have a PLG 222 that I've had since 1965.  I recently tried to take the rear hubs off, but they won't move.   The passenger side will spin freely, but even with a large puller, it won't budge.  The lug studs ARE pressed into the drum, are they not?  The driver side will not turn in either direction.  Parking brake cable is loose. Any suggestions would help a lot,  thanks

Hey there Jerry J,

It's been a few years since I replaced the brakes on my first 222, but I do know the studs are pressed in since I removed mine to install new longer ones all the way around.  You must loosen the brake adjusters first before attempting to remove the drums.  The front drums were fairly easy to remove with some heat, but the back drums took a while to figure out with helps from some folks on this forum.  The rear axles are tapered and it was a bear to remove the drums.  I used lots of BP blaster, heat then cooling down several time along with a hub puller which I think I bought at Napa (part 2251) and patience to take them off....don't lose the key.  You will not find brake pads for this truck, so you will need to send them off to have someone rebuild them for you.  As for the parking brake, mine does not work and is on the list of things to fix.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Rusty Dawg