The real cost of a cheap "daily driver" datsun

Best plan is to check ALL! Your damn fluids, and leave your emergency money in the bank. "People" can easily get excited, and in a hurry for some Datsun driving, just do a quick check, not including the diff levels, test drive it, pay the guy, and take the title and the truck with you.

When my car was running I used to check the oil and water levels every three gas tank fills, because this is what the person I bought my first datsun from told me to do. Maybe a bit exsessive, but I never had any problems until the stock carb finally started leaking. I think this is good advice all the time, even if the vehicle has always been reliable. If the car ever had trouble starting, I would also check these two fluids and chances were that one of these needed topping up. It would start perfectly after.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I bought my first datsun for $800, not only did I make it home, I drove it for a year, had a rusted gas tank that needed to be welded a few months later. I bought a nicer datsun for $3000 that wasn't rusted out so I started driving that to work so I could stop being embarrassed. It got stolen and went missing for a couple weeks so I pulled the old rusty out of storage, had to replace the alternator, got one for $40 and replaced it myself, my first repair job on a car couldn't have been easier. I drove it until my stolen car was found. I suppose it's rare, but getting a crazy deal on a good car does happen. (Everyone thoguht I was crazy and spent too much on both vehicles, I now realise I scored both times)

I am having problems diagnosing a problem in the nicer car, also idle and acceleration problems. I am now considering putting putting the carb that wasn't rebuilt back on the phil the beast, and seeing if it will fire up. I bet it will. Its not as nice, never ran as smooth, but it never let me down.

I appreciate this thread, good to hear some people admit that they poured a lot time and money into vehicles that never ran again. This is something I have to consider with the "nicer" car that has yet to be properly diagnosed.

I've had a few minor issues here and there... Alternator went out once, but that was my fault.. Slave cylinder which it needed when I got it, but lasted a year anyway. Damn that's about it..

But I've been dailying my 720 since October of '11 (maybe took a week or two off), and I can honestly say that it's been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned to date. Then again, I haven't owned many... But all of the others have been newer, each with their own larger set of problems. ('00 Civic, '00 Tahoe, '95 Integra, '93 Accord..)

I've even gotten into the bad habit of not checking my fluid levels anymore.. (doesn't burn oil, no no leaks)

All it seems to ask for is the routine maintenance, wash, and a different female in the passenger seat here and there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. The truck runs great now, just might not deq, idk, I'm hooking the vacuum lines back up, and getting the 2nd set of plugs firing, but at this point, I'd go a couple hundred miles with no worries. To me, this is a thread about winning, and the cost in money and time it took to get here. Also saying, prepare for this, and hope to just hop in with the fluids checked, and drive it for years. Its obviously worth the gamble. Of course, I have a decent parts stock, and tools for everything. I don't think I'd have taken the gamble if I didn't.

• Like 1

Got my 620 for $700. Drove it 80 miles to get it home with really weak brakes. Bought brakes, ended up returning them and just bleeding/adjusting the ones I had.

Had some charging issues, changed the voltage regulator and then the alternator went out. That was the first time the truck left me stranded (at home so not too stranded). Needed a quick fix so got a vatozone alternator from a 200sx and mounted it using the old bolts. Bad idea...

Second time I got stranded, the bottom bolt for the alternator broke. It was not chargning the system so I ended up sitting at the indian restraunt for close to an hour. Mounting hardware was replaced and off I went.

Third and final time I got stranded was completely my fault. The fuel tank was never cleaned out and I know it has a hole in the top of the tank. Ran the truck down to 1/8 of a tank (was in a hurry to get to work) and it sucked up all that lovely gunk. Ran horribly till I replaced the filter. I also replaced the ghetto rigged GM carb with a 32/36 webber which runs better but has the same horrible gas mileage (the hole in the tank probably doesn't help either).

Besides the, tires and an oil change is all that I have really needed since the purchase. I have bought many more parts, spent well over the original price, but all in all I was lucky. I am having some funky noise from under the truck accompanied by very light vibration, so I think the POs duct tape fix for the carrier bearing rubber has finally failed.

My B210 on the other hand was $660 delivered. The only thing I have done is had the fuel tank cleaned and coated. However, I bought it as a non-runner, so only time will tell what the real cost will be.

I wouldn't trade my vehicles for anything. They are a blast to work on and ratsun has made the transition from hondas to datsuns very easy and enjoyable for me. I was actually happy to see my trusty civic towed away by its new owner last month, which is something I never thought I would say.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I feel the same. Okay, fast forward to yesterday, battery, cables, cut off switch, 1800 into it, tought my girl do drive manual on it.she did well, but a couple wrong gear shifts, it was still firing up cold on the first click, buuuuuuuut... head gasket blew, no biggie, buuuuuuut... her rescuers (I was at work an hour n a half away drive time) drove it 4-5 miles, no coolant, bearings were geetting weak before that, so the spare engine is getting a checkup, and gaskets and seals, seems good so far, it looked like the factory head gasket, not a big lip in the cylanders, and head checked, 150$ and it should be strong for a long time. I'lll be slowly getting the pulled motor a full rebuild. I get a little tired of working all my spare time away, but that's life, I love working on them, but you can get too much of anything, too much water will kill you. I'm letting the gf post the project thread update, it was her adventure, but you can round it to 2000$ for a truck with no problems... well no major problems. Could have bought one for that and just put my tools away huh? Eh,...ill call it "truck specific mechanics training". And won't we left unable to fix anything. A lot. Less time repairing roadside when it comes time. Weak excuse to waste time, but there's truth to it.

I paid 300$ for my first two Datsuns and recovered all the money plus 200$ parting out one. Then I spent that 200$ on rebuilding brakes, head, and timing. 

Then I drove the piss out of it daily for a couple months. Only time it ever failed me was bad gas line and getting stuck on mud trails where most people wouldn't bring a jeep. 

Add up the price of tires, machine work, whatever parts and junk I put into it and I still had less than 500$ invested. I estimate I made at least 3500$ in haul jobs alone. 

By all means it was a daily driver. Even if it meant adding a quart of oil every week.

I sold it for 500$ to a man intending to do a full restomod and use it as a daily. 

And I'd do it all over again

Because Datsun, dammit. 

DSCF0763_zps79628f8e.jpg

• Like 3

I paid 300$ for my first two Datsuns and recovered all the money plus 200$ parting out one. Then I spent that 200$ on rebuilding brakes, head, and timing. 

Then I drove the piss out of it daily for a couple months. Only time it ever failed me was bad gas line and getting stuck on mud trails where most people wouldn't bring a jeep. 

Add up the price of tires, machine work, whatever parts and junk I put into it and I still had less than 500$ invested. I estimate I made at least 3500$ in haul jobs alone. 

By all means it was a daily driver. Even if it meant adding a quart of oil every week.

I sold it for 500$ to a man intending to do a full restomod and use it as a daily. 

And I'd do it all over again

Because Datsun, dammit. 

DSCF0763_zps79628f8e.jpg

what rims are those?

I had the distinct advantage of buying my RL411 new and maintaining it on a close preventive maintenance schedule.  I paid US$1700 for it and to date have not come close to that number in replacement of failed parts.  The most expensive repair was replacement of the head after I ignored a leaky coolant hose and warped the head.  At that time a new replacement head was US$500 and I did the grunt work myself.

cheap, reliable, fast, pick two.

Ill be happy with just reliable and cool. Looks like an hour and it will be running with the half ass rebuilt z24, and for the first time, I won't be second guessing the original setup of the truck...

• Like 1

Cool thread.

I'm currently trying to find a Datsun - any Datsun in my area that is running and registered.

I have a small budget to work with currently, but there seems to be a lot of "cheap" for sale here in the classifieds.

Of course "daily driver" + old car that has been driven for a long time don't go together.

It's just like old motorcycles... "ready to ride!"

After I replaced all fluids, brakes, clean the carb, rejet, new tires.... maint. stuff no one ever did.

A running project is all I'm really after, so long as the engine is mechanically sound I'll take anything I can get. LOL

It sure is a lot cheaper than trying to buy a new car - I'm looking for cars for $1600 and under.

A new car, say a Subaru BRZ is $25,000.

You're going to need a 10% down, and still make $500 a month payments for 6 years, if you can get approved.

For $500 a month for six years, you could build up some old j-tin into something truly amazing!

Not always so good for a family man.

I try really hard not to have a car payment but most of the time it feel like I still do to the parts store instead of the bank. When you have the time it can be satisfying knowing your ride so well because you have worked on most of it but it's the shits when you don't have the time or have other things you should be doing. My kids think I have a second job fixing our cars when I'm home. Not really how a father wants to be remembered.

• Like 1

Not always so good for a family man.

I try really hard not to have a car payment but most of the time it feel like I still do to the parts store instead of the bank. When you have the time it can be satisfying knowing your ride so well because you have worked on most of it but it's the shits when you don't have the time or have other things you should be doing. My kids think I have a second job fixing our cars when I'm home. Not really how a father wants to be remembered.

Well, I understand, but a car payment isn't in the cards for me. I don't like these new cars (that I can afford) and of course I get that its a 24 7 thing. It comes from a passion from me, but I'm not too hard on myself teachingmy son that a mans work is never donei can't always make something special from nearly nothing, but I think he sees the value of time, meaning that I can take broken things and make awesomeness. A young kid has no way to buy a new car, I'm not going to, if he'd just take more interest in what exactly I'm doing out there, he'd have a skillset too, he's only 15, and I do want him to come out and bond with me over a datsun, or his celicawhen we tore down his 22r, he gained a whole new respect for me. Yes, that is how I want to be remembered, a hard working manthat has learned a lot from simply listning, and asking. Yes, as an only child, I figuref a lot out myself, but that's not the easy or fast way.also, depending on the direction you go with your auto time, its not too hard to make a rig take less time from youmy 521 was from my stubborn age where I thought I could redesign the whole thing at once and make it "better"yes, with that, I can pass 2 people that are racing with an l20b, but every couple weeks, I'm under the hood fixing something that gave.... just figured out that if I pick a good engine and stay with the factory setup for it, the hood stays down longer. Just my 720cents. :)

Its funny, I would venture to guess most guys on ratsun buy these cars with the intention to put time+money into them, even most daily drivers.

That being said it does royally suck to have unanticipated expenses and work come up. The first day I had my 510 the points went out on the way to work and I had to walk to the auto parts store for a second set.  This was the same situation: previous owner reassured that "it will be safe to take it anywhere you need, I just drove it on a 400 mile trip 2 weeks ago."  I assumed it would be ok for at least a day to take to work before I could do a tune up but boy was I wrong.

Well, I understand, but a car payment isn't in the cards for me. I don't like these new cars (that I can afford) and of course I get that its a 24 7 thing. It comes from a passion from me, but I'm not too hard on myself teachingmy son that a mans work is never donei can't always make something special from nearly nothing, but I think he sees the value of time, meaning that I can take broken things and make awesomeness. A young kid has no way to buy a new car, I'm not going to, if he'd just take more interest in what exactly I'm doing out there, he'd have a skillset too, he's only 15, and I do want him to come out and bond with me over a datsun, or his celicawhen we tore down his 22r, he gained a whole new respect for me. Yes, that is how I want to be remembered, a hard working manthat has learned a lot from simply listning, and asking. Yes, as an only child, I figuref a lot out myself, but that's not the easy or fast way.also, depending on the direction you go with your auto time, its not too hard to make a rig take less time from youmy 521 was from my stubborn age where I thought I could redesign the whole thing at once and make it "better"yes, with that, I can pass 2 people that are racing with an l20b, but every couple weeks, I'm under the hood fixing something that gave.... just figured out that if I pick a good engine and stay with the factory setup for it, the hood stays down longer. Just my 720cents. :)

Sure wish I could get one of my kids interested in being out in the garage. Even thought about adding a TV out there.

• Like 1

Sure wish I could get one of my kids interested in being out in the garage. Even thought about adding a TV out there.

My 2 daughters figured out very early that Dad could fix their "discretions" with their help before Mom found out what they did!  They also found out why their brother spent so much time in the garage. Oldest daughter helped her boy friend rebuild his MG TD.  No TV, no VCR just a damned interesting vehicle and the right tools.

• Like 2

My 2 daughters figured out very early that Dad could fix their "discretions" with their help before Mom found out what they did!  They also found out why their brother spent so much time in the garage. Oldest daughter helped her boy friend rebuild his MG TD.  No TV, no VCR just a damned interesting vehicle and the right tools.

Right on man! That's good medicine. Get to sit back a little and know you raised her "right". Id like that post 3 times if it let me...

• Like 1

Its funny, I would venture to guess most guys on ratsun buy these cars with the intention to put time+money into them, even most daily drivers.

I think the dream that some take for reality is that they get a "daily driver" and see a few things that should be done, and the things they want to change, and believe they can do those things when they get to them. My dd ended up needing a motor and trannyafter a grand total of 150miles, not counting the miles it was towed.

Thread is about, hope it works out, but shit happens, be prepared.

Funny it can have a pretty good test drive and still shit out quick. Well, actually not that funny. I think the po of this was full of shit, also think I saved this one from the scrapyard, meh, good deal, this truck was too damn cool to just let die.

• Like 1

cancel cable and toss out any gaming systems. they'll find something else to do, and cars may end up being more interesting than books. I didn't get my first gaming system til I was 20, never had a tv in my bedroom until I got married and my ex-wife insisted on it, and didn't have cable until the same time I ended up with a tv in my room.  I spent all my time outside playing, reading when it was raining(or playing legos when I was younger) or grabbing tools for my dad before he could afford a new truck and had to wrench on his mid-70's chevy every weekend so that it would make it to work and back throughout the week.  i'm 26 now, and what I see and saw from my age group when I was in high school until now scares the everloving shit out of me.  some of us (including some I've met on here) revel in hard work, like the feeling of knowing they fixed/made something themselves, and seem to be producers on the level of people born a few generations earlier.  way too many others whine about having to spend 2 hours of their day walking or standing, don't know what a Phillips screwdriver is(is that the manufacturer???), or just don't have common sense in any arena that doesn't involve staring at a screen and pushing buttons.  perfect example is one of the new managers at my job.  his 3rd day on the job he attempted to put up some plastic file bins on our concrete wall...with a wood screw and a screwdriver(manual one, not electric) it took him 5 minutes to figure out that it wasn't going to work, at which point he went and got a hammer, used the screwdriver and hammer to chisel out some small holes in the wall breaking 3 screwdrivers in the process, then superglued the screws into the wall... and when asked if he wanted a drill his response was "what for? I'm not hanging these with nails, i'm hanging them with screws".  I just had to walk away, couldn't even respond.  he's 25, a manager, and I see more like him every day... :sick:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My daily has been fairly cheap to maintain.... I traded a 38mm dual delorto carb set up for the car, pieced a motor together for about $200, bought a set of mags $50, did coil overs up front $400, and a rebuilt transmission $1300 (OUCH), and maybe $300 in tune ups and oil changes and crap. It's 3 years running... Not bad in my opinion :)