new to old school datsuns even newer to 411

meanmecordia

hey guys i have spoken to a few people around the traps on the interweb and have been told that some 510 parts can interchange into the 411.

basicly i have a couple of questions.

1. is this true

2. what changes over if this is true

3. what other models change over with the 411-410

4. does any other models suspension / suspension struts swap across

oh and by the way this is my first post so hello from australia.

thanks in advance guys

josh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First blush, headlights, wheels, tyres and for early 510s the tapered Lockheed disc drake shoes on the RL411. I'm sure there are more but probably with some modification. I'll leave the continuation listing to the 510 crowd. The 410 and 411 do not use McPherson struts, stock shock absorbers all around.

Hey mike thanks for the reply, main reason I asked is I would have loved to throw a set of coil overs under the 411 when I get it , but as you say they don't interchange, suppose I will have to try find the best alternative . Let the search continue lol.

hey mike , i have another painfull question lol.

im interested in putting extractors and a bigger better carby on it but i have no idea what will fit , i like the sound of a dellorto or su carby or a pair of either, main thing i want to know is what inlet manifolds and exhaust manifolds interchange between the models if any??

main reason for this is i live on top of the hills  and its a fairly heafty task to get a little 4 pot up the hill. plus i like the look and sound of a all NA nostalgic japanese engine.

hope this makes sense

josh

You would have a J engine in a P411. In Japan there was a Sport Sedan version of the P411 that had either a J1300 or more likely a J1500 engine and twin Hitachi "SU" carbs. This, if you could find the manifolds, carbs and linkages, would seen to be a reasonable swap. I have no idea how obtainable these parts are in Perth or whatever city you are near but if you could get them it would be a close to a painless transplant I could forsee. Maybe a complete J1500SS transplant?

If you could get a 411 SSS or 310 roadster engine and intake / exhaust manifolds you would have an easier time than us Yanks in swapping in. Your steering gear is on the distributor side of the R engine leaving more room and options to clear the exhaust pipe and fender short of routing it through the Left Front fender like the American / Canadian [and some Okinawan, yes there are JDM left hand cars courtesy of the post WW2 occupation] versions of the RL411 owners do.

R engine swap has an additional complication.  As it comes from the roadster, it's too long for the 410 or 411 engine bay.  A R411 engine is already modified and will fit snugly into a P411.  The roadster version needs to have the front end pulleys and belts moved towards the firewall by an inch in order to fit and clear the radiator.  A late metric R engine [5 main bearing] already has a 45 degree bevel in the valve cover needed to clear the wiper motor.  Why stock 2 valve covers when the modified one fits all?  If early roadster engine, you might have to scrounge for a beveled late roadster or R411 unit.

You would have a J engine in a P411. In Japan there was a Sport Sedan version of the P411 that had either a J1300 or more likely a J1500 engine and twin Hitachi "SU" carbs. This, if you could find the manifolds, carbs and linkages, would seen to be a reasonable swap. I have no idea how obtainable these parts are in Perth or whatever city you are near but if you could get them it would be a close to a painless transplant I could forsee. Maybe a complete J1500SS transplant?

I chased a set of SS twin carbs for the J13 on Yahoo Japan a while back, they are very hard to come by, doesn't help when the seller splits the carbs, manifold and linkages either....  Ended up buying the boot lid to replace my rusted out one.

I believe there i a Pierce manifold that fits the J13, think I read about it in some Ratsun threads so worth a search on that too..

Yes!!!  Talk to Erich, he's been there and done that!

well i havent swapped one, but i did have to build my sss car from the ground up almost, i sourced a roadster motor and made it the 411 variety and it all works. i did make my own trans, theres a write up on that in the how to section that i did, shows exactly how to make a proper lelnght 4 speed for a 411 with an r16 in it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Josh, I give others a wind up about this, so, how about an intro thread mate and some pics.

Nothing personal mate but if I don't give a fellow countryman the same wind up as the Seppo's, weeeeeelllllllll

I have no idea about 411's, but, if you want 1600 info, let me know.

Cheers