SU Logistics

zerow

All right, I get my "new" air cleaners fabricated and do a mock setup of the whole assembly under the hood of the parts car (where the motor currently resides, and I have a problem (pictures will explain):

100_0921.jpg

100_0922.jpg

The bellcrank assembly is all up on the rear float bowl assembly. I even losened it from the firewall to get the SUs to go into the engine bay. This cannot possibly be right. I also have an automatic, so there is the box that goes on top of this bellcrank assembly (the bracket you see hitting the float bowl), I want this whole thing to work. After talking to a friend yesterday (160J SSS) it seems that maybe the motor is too low. It seems to sit fine, but then again there was a 32/36 Weber under the hood when I bought it. Could the PO have L18 mounts holding up this L20B? Or is the motor sitting too far back (frame/crossmember issue)? Anybody else come across this issue when installing their SUs? :confused:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that box is a smog thingy, so just cut the bracket off

any other issues?

According to the Service Manual for the 1973 Datsun 610, the bracket is for a "Throttle Switch". Tracing the wiring diagram, the throttle switch affects a relay for the distributor, quite possibly for the secondary set of dual points on the distributor itself. I would have to wholeheartedly agree - SUs and an electronic distributor do not need a throttle switch. And (correct me if I am wrong) the SSS distributor, which is what the SUs would have come with anyway, is a single point distributor. Hence, the bracket will be removed of it's distributor modifying capability. OFF WITH ITS HEAD!

According to the Service Manual for the 1973 Datsun 610, the bracket is for a "Throttle Switch". Tracing the wiring diagram, the throttle switch affects a relay for the distributor, quite possibly for the secondary set of dual points on the distributor itself. I would have to wholeheartedly agree - SUs and an electronic distributor do not need a throttle switch. And (correct me if I am wrong) the SSS distributor, which is what the SUs would have come with anyway, is a single point distributor. Hence, the bracket will be removed of it's distributor modifying capability. OFF WITH ITS HEAD!

You nailed it bro... your exactly correct. :thumbup: