The forgotten Beige 69 510 build *Pics fixed through page 16*

Draker

Just called the PO of this car.. I just wanted to BS with him and tell him I finally drove it around a bit.

Unfortunately he passed away. I talked to his wife of 51 years for a while on the phone for a bit. She was still pretty upset. I gave her my condolences.

Chuck was a true Datsun nut. He sold me two of his 510's.. and he still had 3 more. He has been in the game since the beginning and really loved his cars. I BS'd with him for hours every time I would stop by just talking Datsuns and listening to his stories.

He had been battling health issues since I started talking to him, but he seemed like he was on the mend. Sad day..  RIP Chuck!

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before:

20150425_112828_zpsplwoex9i.jpg

After:

20150425_133748_zpsrulmxnqv.jpg

Dogleg had some dents where the back is not accessible. I tried to pull the dent with a stud welder. didn't work.. So I just pooled up some welds and ground it down. Picture doesn't do it justice.

20150425_141610_zpsyb6ca2v7.jpg

A little rot that needs addressed.

20150425_133730_zpsrqpjqba0.jpg

Welded it up

20150425_141544_zps9xvevkmf.jpg

20150425_141531_zpsyymkonf4.jpg

Edited by Draker
pics
  • Like 1

I put it on a little thick. No real orange peal, but it takes days(or weeks) to dry and harden enough to sand. Not a big deal for me.. I'll leave it like this until after Canby. Then I'll scuff sand it and apply filler and high build primer.

• Like 1

There is a bit more rot to the right of this patch. I'm going to try to just weld it up I didn't want to cut into the lip of the wheel well. The metal is thin.. so it'll be a good challenge.

• Like 1

So your ditching that damn bright red old ladies car and driving this to Canby this year then?? 

I used 3 or 4 hard drive magnets once to hold sheet metal once and it wouldn't weld for shit... Really weird,, you take most of them off and it did just fine.

• Like 1

So your ditching that damn bright red old ladies car and driving this to Canby this year then?? 

I used 3 or 4 hard drive magnets once to hold sheet metal once and it wouldn't weld for shit... Really weird,, you take most of them off and it did just fine.

I'm certainly going to try. I've got a few more little things to sort out before I'd call this thing road worthy.

This is the short list:

Install IR alternator
Tune Carb
Paint a few other bare metal spots
Install carpet in back seat riser area
Install Muffler
Clean fusebox
If time allows... lower. (probably not going to happen in time)

oh yeah.. and put some miles on it!

Pretty interesting about the hard drive magnets. Not good enough continuity I guess?
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Lowered on 280zx struts and D50 springs. had an issue with the front end bottoming out. Fixed that today and drove around a bit.

Aligned it with some string to 1/16th inch toe in on both. 1/8th overall. I need to take it in and have it done And get my wheels balanced.

20150526_204343_zpsq2qg3piq.jpg

20150526_204306_zpsgn5rmbrf.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 5

TODO:

[ ]Install front and rear bumper
[ ]Fix Headlights
[ ]Install IR alternator
[ ]Clean headliner
[ ]Clean interior
[ ]Adjust weber
[ ]Install carpet in back seat riser area
[ ]Check oil pressure
[ ]Muffler/Exhaust
[ ]Clean wheels
[ ]Wipe all rubber/vinyl with treatment
[ ]Spray bare metal spots with zero rust
[ ]Find solution to reverse light switch clearance issue
[ ]Get all marker lights working

[ ]Get alignment done

• Like 1

I'm not sure of my plans yet. I'd like to go up Friday. But I have to work until 5.. but I know you have a ton of shit to setup.. I'd like to help where I can. 

I should probably start figuring it out..   No time!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhh

lol

• Like 1

Lowered on 280zx struts and D50 springs. had an issue with the front end bottoming out. Fixed that today and drove around a bit.

Aligned it with some string to 1/16th inch toe in on both. 1/8th overall. I need to take it in and have it done And get my wheels balanced.20150526_204343_zpsq2qg3piq.jpg20150526_204306_zpsgn5rmbrf.jpg

More proof that 4-doors are just as sexy as 2. Nice work here. Sad to hear about the PO, but how rad you are carrying on his legacy in this car.

• Like 3

My rear bumper is pretty ratty. Paid too much for it.. and it fits like shit. But, it's a bumper I guess.

Installed some carpet on the rear seat riser area. Now the interior is basically done. I should have taken an after pic.. I guess come see it at canby.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...