Die You Brake Cylinder, Die!!

fisch

Ok seriously, what does it take to get the damn 521 front brake cylinder off the freaking backplate!

I have of course removed the single nut that holds the cylinder on there as well as the hose and metal part that attaches to the back of the cylinder (the piece that has the bleed screw and hose attachment.) So literally just the housing remains attached to the backplate.

I have pounded on it every which way. I have tried to get an exacto blade between it and the backplate, and if I had to guess it would be that I am dealing with the weird reaction that steel and aluminum have (assuming the cylinder is aluminum.) cause bits if that weird white corosion seem to be back there. Just how hard can I bang on this thing? As far as I can tell there is NOTHING holding this thing on there.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah! Sorry I never followed up y'all. It ceme off allright, but man it was a battle!! In the end I had to use a wood chisle to get er done. Even chipped the chisel in the process, but thankfully didn't gouge the back plate. So I got the new on one and adjusted, and we are golden!

how much did your wheel cylinder run you. they seem to be around $35 everywhere except rockauto.com. i tried bidding on those beck/arnley ones on ebay from reddat but he wont list the shipping on any of his auctions and the reserve is set at almost new parts house price.

how much did your wheel cylinder run you. they seem to be around $35 everywhere except rockauto.com. i tried bidding on those beck/arnley ones on ebay from reddat but he wont list the shipping on any of his auctions and the reserve is set at almost new parts house price.

I got a quote from a local parts store that said it would cost me a total of $100 for a full set of wheel cylinders. I think they are made by a company called centric.

I got mine from Rock Auto for $22.79.:D

I also ordered one set of brakeshoes at closeout for $8.27, and didn't realize when ordering, but got a second set in the box too! So $4.13 per wheel for shoes. Groovy!

Hey Fisch...what year is you truck? The '71 I drive is telling me ever so gently that it is going to be needing brake work. I am debating going with big huge calipers and discs all the way around, or just another rebuild to stock specs...so I can run the sweet stock steel rims still.:cool:

Hey Fisch...what year is you truck? The '71 I drive is telling me ever so gently that it is going to be needing brake work. I am debating going with big huge calipers and discs all the way around, or just another rebuild to stock specs...so I can run the sweet stock steel rims still.:cool:

Heya Denver! Mine is a 71 521. I'm with you on thinking about a disc upgrade! No matter how many times I seem to adjust my drums, they are still what are known as 'plan ahead' brakes!