Dash Refinishing 101

capture nuts, try your local lowes or hardware store.

lol "capture nuts"?

i know them as captive nuts.

i think a lot of the basic auto parts stores have them.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know where to pick up new ones? Id like to use new pieces when I put the dash back together. 8553682934_f3140a641d_z.jpg

At one time our Lowe's had these. I replaced some when I had my goon. If your area "doesn't", let me know and I can check next time I'm up in that shizz.

At one time our Lowe's had these. I replaced some when I had my goon. If your area "doesn't", let me know and I can check next time I'm up in that shizz.

Thanks for the offer. Home Depot had them and the dash restoration is complete. No more parts needed :)

Thanks for the offer. Home Depot had them and the dash restoration is complete. No more parts needed :)

yea, sorry I'm a slow ass queer bait. I realized that after I read the whole thread, like duh Uie, get with the program. Hell, even local Darrel said the same thing-meh. I'm a JA. But, your dash does look super titties!

Thanks! I was very happy with it. There are a few more things I need to do for it to be 100%, but it looks complete and thats what I needed for the show on Sunday. I love the way it came out and think it was well worth the effort. 

Once again, big shout out to JRock for the powder work. It wouldnt have come out so nice without his hard work. If youre remotely close to Olympia, please hit him up for work... you wont be disappointed. 

Im sure that as I go along, I will keep adding to this if it involves the dash somehow. Stay tuned, this is always a work in progress. 

More disassembly tonight.

Good thing I took my time taking apart the dash... I tried prying off the dash fascia pads for a second only to realize that they are bolted on. Luckily I stopped almost right away before I did any damage. Pads are in great condition and will not need to be painted. A good cleaning is in order still.

The plastic frames around the vents were broken in a few spots so I just snapped them off rather than deal with the clips in the back. Ill have to look at the ones on my current dash to see if they are uncracked... otherwise I will have to buy a new set.

Ive noticed that there is a stamped out section behind the passenger fascia pad. Its the same shape as the drivers side which is stamped out for a switch. Has anyone seen a LHD model with something in the passenger side fascia area?

Ive also taken about 40 pictures to make sure I remember how things go together.

Late, but perhaps this is the droid you are looking for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-1600-BLUEBIRD-510-SSS-JDM-1969-DASH-FINISHER-PAD-/390582321319

Those are the right pads and that would fit that spot... I have extras I could use, but I was just curious if anyone had seen something in that position. I couldnt imagine what could go there if they used it, so it seemed odd that the metal frame would be stamped for a hole. 

Those are the right pads and that would fit that spot... I have extras I could use, but I was just curious if anyone had seen something in that position. I couldnt imagine what could go there if they used it, so it seemed odd that the metal frame would be stamped for a hole. 

Never seen anything there on a LHD car, but maybe the LHD and RHD dash pieces were the same (up to a point anyway) for the early runs. Only explanation I can think of.

Yeah I know the seller. Ive thought about buying those as spares since they are nice... 

I could use one of my spares and put it in the passenger side spot, but then I dont know what I would run there. Its out of reach of the drivers seat

Never seen anything there on a LHD car, but maybe the LHD and RHD dash pieces were the same (up to a point anyway) for the early runs. Only explanation I can think of.

The dash is stamped one pieces so its unlikely that they used the same dash piece for both LHD/RHD. I think I have pictures somewhere of it. 

I thought about maybe running a cigarette lighter there for passengers to charge their phones on... that would free up the center spot for whatever I want. 

That's a good idea. Don't know what else you would use that could be placed so far from the driver's seat. You can never have enough of those things though.

Semi-related: I'm contemplating putting a combo USB/headphone jack outlet in place of the rear ashtrays in my 2 door and running a dual-zone receiver. That way rear passengers could charge and even listen to something other than I was if they wanted. Shouldn't be too tough since I'm planning on re-wiring the whole car while she's stripped, but it'll be worth it in the end even if it's a pain since my son and maybe his cousins will be the main back seat riders.

That's a good idea. Don't know what else you would use that could be placed so far from the driver's seat. You can never have enough of those things though.

Semi-related: I'm contemplating putting a combo USB/headphone jack outlet in place of the rear ashtrays in my 2 door and running a dual-zone receiver. That way rear passengers could charge and even listen to something other than I was if they wanted. Shouldn't be too tough since I'm planning on re-wiring the whole car while she's stripped, but it'll be worth it in the end even if it's a pain since my son and maybe his cousins will be the main back seat riders.

USB chargers would be cool, but I think dual audio could get too crazy. Eventually your son is going to try to out power your music in the front. You can never have enough USB outlets in todays world though. 

Man, "eventually happened at about 18 months. Lol. He's almost 4 now and he actually likes pretty good music (for the most part), but he wants to listen to the same songs over and over Gangnam Style was cute for a bit, but not now and never 5 times in a row! This is an attempt to regain control!

As for the dual-zone, I really haven't looked into it much yet so I don't know about the practicality of it, but it sounds like a pretty good idea to me as long as the second channel only routed to headphones though.

Oh if only headphones then youre golden. I was going to suggest that. 

I have some plans for the dash still, but I just need a spare moment to do them. Im in the process of moving so I dont have much time. I should have started earlier, but NissanFest happened and like an idiot I put all my free time towards that instead of packing. Whoops. 

Oh well. I have a cigarette lighter and I have an extra fascia pad with a hole so I may try it out and see how I like it. I also have to finish wiring up some stuff as well as reconnect the heater . Currently only the fan switch is working so I cant change to defrost or change temperature. 

all my hardware needs come from ace hardware... they have a bullk foods type fastner section...where u can lie and make up prices ... it s the honor system to which i have no honor and fake cheaper prices and quantity all the time

all my hardware needs come from ace hardware... they have a bullk foods type fastner section...where u can lie and make up prices ... it s the honor system to which i have no honor and fake cheaper prices and quantity all the time

Classic JRock.

i fear my erroneous behavior will one day lead to my utopia of hardware to become obsolete......then i will be fucked ... so some times i put the rght price down..but only onthe cehap parts i need....the 1.50 shit gets a .22 price ..but insider seceret number 7.2.....its a great place to get stainless hardware on the cheap

until banana reads this post and takes it upon himself to tell ace hardware the wrongs i have been perpatrating as a way to spoon feed his dudely do right status he envokes...

side note im a thesarus

I don't appreciate folks including an oics in their replies, but I had to do it ... this looks soooooooo nice!

Thanks! Im pretty proud myself. 

I feel you on quoting photos. Im good with one, but when people quote an entire post with like 9 images to say "Nice job!" or to only reference one of the photos... it really grinds my gears. Just quote the one photo. I dont need the same 9 photos repeated again and again on the same page. 

But again, thanks. 

yeah who did that dash frame it looks so nice.......but u should have continues to refinsh that head light switch pad and the one onthe other side of the steering wheel bro

They do need a better cleaning, though they are not that brown in person. Im trying to get them as clean as possible without painting them. Ill clean them up for sure... its one of the small tweaks I still have to do with the dash. 

Theres like 10 small things I need to do before its 100% finished the way I want. 

Thanks! Im pretty proud myself. 

I feel you on quoting photos. Im good with one, but when people quote an entire post with like 9 images to say "Nice job!" or to only reference one of the photos... it really grinds my gears. Just quote the one photo. I dont need the same 9 photos repeated again and again on the same page. 

But again, thanks. 

his isnt a mod status application bro....just sayin

and u never answered my question bro