"Croc" My New 1977 710 Spy Car

3Gc3F13Hd5Lf5Gf5Ebd2j96f3f2baf6c21aa9_zp

3L73I63J45Id5E25H7d2jab4836a5ec0e1e5b_zp

3E83o23H95Gd5E55Jad2j5eb8442290ad1064_zp

Initial issues list:
Floor pans need replacing (some golf-ball sized rust holes in the front passenger side.)
Rear exterior is heavily rusted. The rest, moderately.
Upholstery is pretty much shithoused.
No shifting gear boot.
Needs a drivers's side windshield wiper.
Front Passenger door doesn't open from inside.

Couple cracks in the dashboard.
Needs three hub caps.
I can smell an anti-freeze leak and heater doesn't seem to pump out much heat.

Just learning how to drive it is going to be an adventure; it's a manual. (I've never driven one in my life.) No power steering (which seems minor. but, I'm kind of a scrawny chick and I don't even know if I'm going to be capable of maneuvering it properly until I build up some muscle.)

But, I'm super excited! I feel like I'm in love.

And, I'm 100% new to it all. Advice is highly welcome!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Datsun.  I had  a girlfriend from Havre, Mt. Nice place. Want to go back.  Have not seen many sedan 710 ( with a trunk, as opposed to the sedan hatchback ) in US. Perhaps it came from Canada?

Are you in school?? Enroll in the autobody class, you can fix all the body and learn while having fun !

Welcome to the site. I have a friend in Missoula.... she just got married a couple weekends ago. Car looks decent, glad to see another 710 coming to the site. 

As far as owning a manual, practice is the best thing. When I first started, I would drive around the suburbs because there was lots of stops and turns. Almost anyone can shift gears once the car is moving, but going from a stop is where you have the greatest chance of stalling. The suburbs had lots of places where I had to stop for stop signs and slow and downshift for turns. Also, go out at night to hilly areas and practice going into first on hills. That always seems to be the hardest part of manuals. 

You will get used to the power steering deficiency. Its harder to turn at slower speeds, but really responsive when youre going. 

Once again welcome to the site. We love pictures here and please use the search bar to look up any questions you have. Theres lots of info here to get even a beginner going. 

Nice Datsun.  I had  a girlfriend from Havre, Mt. Nice place. Want to go back.  Have not seen many sedan 710 ( with a trunk, as opposed to the sedan hatchback ) in US. Perhaps it came from Canada?

Are you in school?? Enroll in the autobody class, you can fix all the body and learn while having fun !

there was no hatchback 710s just early and late style they changed the rear body lines on the 4 door sedan about half way threw the run 

on topic welcome and great first post learning to drive a stick just takes practice and the lack of power steering isnt noticeable unless your trying to parallel park the thing all in all it looks like it needs som serious attention from a body shop since the rocker behind the rear wheels is completely gone but other then that not a bad score for what you paid 

Thanks for the welcome! I'm thrilled about this forum. I've been lurking for a few days. It looks packed with great information. and super cool photos!

Thanks! Yeah, Montana pretty much rules. I've never been to Havre. But, I know some folks out there who really dig it.

I would definitely take an auto body repair class if I could find one! The closest thing they have in town is a Welding 101 class at the UM College of Technology. And, a youth nonprofit program for "at risk" high school students ...which actually looks really sweet. Maybe if I talk to the director and make a donation or volunteer somehow they'll let me tag along for classes. Looks like they just restored a '74 260.

Welcome to the site. I have a friend in Missoula.... she just got married a couple weekends ago. Car looks decent, glad to see another 710 coming to the site. 

As far as owning a manual, practice is the best thing. When I first started, I would drive around the suburbs because there was lots of stops and turns. Almost anyone can shift gears once the car is moving, but going from a stop is where you have the greatest chance of stalling. The suburbs had lots of places where I had to stop for stop signs and slow and downshift for turns. Also, go out at night to hilly areas and practice going into first on hills. That always seems to be the hardest part of manuals. 

You will get used to the power steering deficiency. Its harder to turn at slower speeds, but really responsive when youre going. 

Once again welcome to the site. We love pictures here and please use the search bar to look up any questions you have. Theres lots of info here to get even a beginner going. 

Dude, you should have come out for the wedding! Missoula is a fun place to visit for sure. Congrats to your friend.

And, yeah, I'll take your advice with lots of suburbs and hills practice... as soon as I master the abandoned parking lot, of course.

Nice price for a running and near complete 710!

Some advice if your just starting to learn to drive a manual trans, make sure your steering and brake components are in decent operating order. Welcome to the site!

Thanks!

That's good to hear. I really didn't know... it was listed at 500.00 I offered 300.00 And, then we settled for the 375.00 He told me he thought he could probably get more; but, he wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it. And, it was kinda obvious I was already in love with it.

I'm taking it in for a full diagnostics soon. Will make sure steering and brake components are on the top of the list if they need any work.

there was no hatchback 710s just early and late style they changed the rear body lines on the 4 door sedan about half way threw the run 

on topic welcome and great first post learning to drive a stick just takes practice and the lack of power steering isnt noticeable unless your trying to parallel park the thing all in all it looks like it needs som serious attention from a body shop since the rocker behind the rear wheels is completely gone but other then that not a bad score for what you paid 

ha, well, I already avoid parellel parking as much as possible anyway. So, I guess I'll be okay with it. We shall see soon..

And, a "rocker...." so that's what that part's called... awesome. But, yeah, it's like that on both sides. :( Probably even worse on the other one. The rust is gonna be the really big issue. The floor is worse than I thought. So is the inside of the trunk. I just took a bunch more pics, today. Will post 'em up soon.

• Like 1