My '77 Bullet side build up

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work man! It's coming along perfect ... I'm starting on my 74' tomorrow or maybe even today ... I want to start by pulling the bed, cleaning the back frame for paint, then bed, then gut the cab, pull the cab, recondition the front of the frame, then engine ... You've done enough builds where I can ask you if that's a good order or not

Yea that would work fine. I started with gutting the interior and glassed the floors. Re undercoated or painted the front clip including the vent area(all after using rust doctor on all rusty spots) . Reworked the fenders, hood, vent, roof, sides and kick panels. Painted the inside and primered the outside. Now removed bed working the rust etc. back of the cab and have painted rust doctor on the frame (well most of it).

Also took four seats apart and made two good ones (except the skins which I will just use a cover for now) including spring repair etc.. Working on re covering the door skins (had to build a door panel because the drivers panel was in pieces), side kick and back panels with black covering. Need to buy new headliner, working on glass etc. etc. and so on. Always something to do. I have plans for the lights and stuff but all that is after the body, interior and then engine. I will be rebuilding the L20B SS headers offenhouser intake weber 32/36 need a good head and cam first before rebuild to know which pistons to buy etc. Need a 5 speed.

Well I probly already said to much for one post.

Let me know how your doin sounds like you excited to start.

BTW I am originally from Whittier CA and had friends in Corona.

Have fun

Sandblast_zps4e4b1efc.jpg

Sandblasted all the seams. Took forever. Nest pic will show that after this I brushed and lightly blew (with canned air) rust doctor into the seams several times and then wiped off the excess so that there was a layer of rust doctor to protect the seams and pit holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a few issues come up and couldn't work on the truck for a couple weeks, but I'm back now.

I had an issue trying to get the spot weld areas (as well as the rust areas I had to fix) on the top/side area of the bed smooth.

I decided to make a tool that would be as long as a sheet of sand paper and match the angles of the bed. So I found that the tailgate was good and decided to make a mold of the area and use this mold to sand the bed sides so they were mostly all the same.

Heres the pictures of before and after and how well the tool fit.

Enjoy.

Slide1_zps379f7dda.jpg

Slide2_zps9b3d2e18.jpg

I hope it looks good after paint!

• 5 weeks later...

Vinyl_zpseffb5883.jpg

Time to vinyl the interior panels. All original except drivers door panel, had to make it because it was in pieces.

All vinyled up!

Now to pull the engine and put in the other L20B (it doesnt smoke and runs very good).

Then maybe send it to paint.

• 4 weeks later...

Slide1_zpsc56fdd5e.jpg

Ok engine change out is complete. Runs great!

Now final touches before paint!

I gotta note, no matter how hard you try, you still get grease everywhere. I should have covered the fenders but I got into my work and by the time I remembered, it was too late.

• 1 month later...

Brakes_zps3688fc99.jpg

Had to fix brakes. Replaced front shoes ( the pad on one shoe was completely broken free from the base ) and adjusted all brakes.

All brake adjusters were frozen, but three of them took some serious pounding to get out. Had to sand off the rust throughout and grease everything up.

At least there not lockin up now. Good to go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dude, your truck looks FN awesome!!  I got to give you credit for all that hard work you've done.  Good job!!!  Where do you buy that rust doctor and that 3m seam sealer?  Did you fill in all the spot weld marks on the top of the bed?  Let me know about that I'm lookin at doing the same to the seams w/o welding if I can help it.  Thanks

The rust doctor I ordered on the internet. I was told it was the best so I went with it. There are other brands that do the same thing from Wesco which is a place to buy auto paint and body supplies.

The 3M sealer I got from NAPA You dont need the two part only single part will do (two part is for bonding two sheets together tou only need to seal the gaps).

The top spot welds I used "two part" spot putty from napa it costs a bit more but worth it. It is easier to sand. Also you can ask me anytime but I asked alot from Ratsun.net of facebook. Poeple are very helpful, thats where I learned alot of what I did.

Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks

I actually used two carpets kits from JC whiney because the regular cab only fits in front of the seats but not the back.

This one

http://www.jcwhitney.com/custom-tailored-nylon-cut-pile-carpeting/p2007246.jcwx?filterid=d50465y1977g2j1

I also called them and told them by the roll for the back and cut it out. I think it was this one but not sure they made sure it was the same material.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement-carpet-by-the-roll/p2017637.jcwx?filterid=d50465y1977g2u0j1

Good luck