Cranking problems

Alex Datsun

Just a few moments ago I was going to check my timing since when i started it last week ran like dookie and couldnt rev up at all. I then unplugged the coil and tried to crank over the engine but all i got was what sounded like a slight rotation then motor suddenly stopped, tried it a few sec/mins later samething. I then thought my motor got hydrolocked so got a ratchet out so i can turn the motor manually, sure enough the motor spun freely until it got slightly tighter at one point then easy going again. Then when I tried to crank my motor over with my ignition switch it had a in consitent crank with it slowing down and catching up a almost sounding like it was working against itself. I had to stop since its pretty late but can anyone point me in a direction? Can my timing be off by THAT much? Something bent? Cylinderwalls dry?

Motor is a rebuilt L24,9mm rods, arp everything, e88 head with msa valve springs, and mikuni 40's, Hoping to grt a better look at it tomorow.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have advanced my timing so far to actually counter the starter. You would hear the starter take a hit, and then get a good enough run to properly turn the motor over. I didnt like it so I backed off the timing.

Try jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, should be a stronger start.

You mention rebuilt. Was it just recently rebuilt? More details would surely help. It sounds like it could just be a loose distributor, retarding timing, thus making it very lazy? I'd pull plugs to just check them out and crank with plugs out to make sure it spins freely. How was oil pressure when running? Need much more details on your end.

I have advanced my timing so far to actually counter the starter. You would hear the starter take a hit, and then get a good enough run to properly turn the motor over. I didnt like it so I backed off the timing.

Try jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, should be a stronger start.

Ill try that screwdriver deal today and check where my timing is aswell since ive had that advance timing Issue once before.

You mention rebuilt. Was it just recently rebuilt? More details would surely help. It sounds like it could just be a loose distributor, retarding timing, thus making it very lazy? I'd pull plugs to just check them out and crank with plugs out to make sure it spins freely. How was oil pressure when running? Need much more details on your end.

All of this was done with the coil wire off though, im going to pull the all plugs out and make sure it does spin freely. the motor was rebuilt some time last year myself and i also have the e12-80 distributor other than what i already listed its a stock rebuild. Anything else you need to know?

I assume you primed the oill pump and this was working before.If the distributor got loose or off a tooth it can be hard to start where its fighting to turn the motor.

Yeah i primed it when i finished the rebuild and when i drove it for the first time with my new shell (and e12-80) the guy at the shop didnt put back the distributor screw and i didnt find out after i drove it for like 10min.

Set motor to TDC.

Make sure rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire...

I've had trouble with a ZX starter before... It would click but not crank, but sometimes it would crank at some ignition switch positions. 

You live in SF, right? I'm kinda tempted to go look at it.  Just cause I want to hear the mikunis. 

I just installed a O rileys starter sunday and it dont sound right , even out of the box.

Make sure the tab to seliniod is tight.  soemtimes just route a wire from the + battery to the selinoid tab and if it starts up OK then you know starter is good and maybe you have a high resisitnace key switch.

for batt cable you can clean them. or what I do is put the ignition to ON then using a volt meter put the lead on the battery post then to the battery lug right there. if there is a voltage drop then (its like a big resisitor)  last time I did it was a 2 volt drop with key ON. took cable off and found it had a big crack across it.

One can measure at the battery post then to the cable lug. if not drop there then go to the starter lug. if no voltage drop most likey the cable is good.

ck the ground.

this is mostly just added info for you. still might not be your proplem.

There's not enough slack to skip a tooth. You're looking at it wrong. Set to TDC compression on #1. Crank pulley notch @ zero on the timing scale. Now take the valve cover off. Look through the top hole in the cam sprocket.

See the tiny horizontal etch mark on the cam thrust plate? See the U or V shaped notch in the back of the cam sprocket? As long as the notch is under or just slightly to the right of the etch mark, your cam is perfectly timed.

motorLcamtiming.jpg

so with the dizzy rorot in that position does the wire to to #1 and the correct COUNTEWR clock wise fire order????

If yes. make sure the valve lash it set correct on all the clyinders. and you get the spark at the coil center wire to gorund. Then put back in the center dizzy cap.

If you have spark you need to shoot some starter fluid in the carbs or somthing to see if it lights off.

Now the crank crank stip doesnt tell me much. Does this mean it cranks and stops while key is s till in start?

motor looks good and is mechanically timmed correct.

Cam tming is excellent. Only way it can be off is if put on wrong.

As Hainz said. put your distributor cap on and the wire above it has to be number one plug... make sure. Then go around the cap in a counter clockwise direction checking every wire goes to the correct plug. The order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Once started the timing will need to be advanced

so with the dizzy rorot in that position does the wire to to #1 and the correct COUNTEWR clock wise fire order????If yes. make sure the valve lash it set correct on all the clyinders. and you get the spark at the coil center wire to gorund. Then put back in the center dizzy cap.If you have spark you need to shoot some starter fluid in the carbs or somthing to see if it lights off.Now the crank crank stip doesnt tell me much. Does this mean it cranks and stops while key is s till in start?motor looks good and is mechanically timmed correct.

No its just below #1 on the dizzy and i got the firing order as 15-36-24 (too young, too old, just right) according to hybrid. The crank/stop happens while the "key" is engaged.

Cam tming is excellent. Only way it can be off is if put on wrong.As Hainz said. put your distributor cap on and the wire above it has to be number one plug... make sure. Then go around the cap in a counter clockwise direction checking every wire goes to the correct plug. The order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Once started the timing will need to be advanced

Ive checked my wires multiple times but i thought my the firing order was15-36-24 as i stated above, I'll try it again tonight when i get off work thanks guys for the help....ratsun's slowly becoming more informational than hybrid sometimes.