Custom Datsun 510 Dash Centre Console

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any way of getting a lhd version sent to the states?? Doesn't give the option on the website. Thanks.

Yes there is.

go to here http://www.gilsonproducts.com.au/products/products-datsun-510-centre-console-lhd/ and there's a drop down list above the buy it now button with the different shipping rates. select the appropriate region, then hit the buy it now button. hope this helps.

Would you be able to make a modular design, with different inserts? That way a person could order the housing and "plates" for the setup they want; I.e. DIN top and guage bottom, gauges top and bottom, double din, 3 guages on bottom and 2 on top, or even LHD guages and RHD guages for rally cars so the Navigator can keep an eye on them.

That would be cool and you wouldn't need to worry as much about getting stuck with a lot of entire units.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there!

Would you be able to make a modular design, with different inserts? That way a person could order the housing and "plates" for the setup they want; I.e. DIN top and guage bottom, gauges top and bottom, double din, 3 guages on bottom and 2 on top, or even LHD guages and RHD guages for rally cars so the Navigator can keep an eye on them.

That would be cool and you wouldn't need to worry as much about getting stuck with a lot of entire units.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there!

I started off with this concept originally but multiple tooling costs and fixing methods kinda shut it down.. but having a generic base to work from where you can insert sheet metal plates cut to suit is a possibility.

However in the end, I was trying to maintain the OEM look as if it was installed by Datsun itself - the textured look will finish this off nicely.

Stay tuned as i might look at this in the future but at this stage, i need to sell my current stock before investing in another set of tools/parts. plus I've got a few more ideas to get into...

• Like 1

BTW, on the original Center Radio Bezel, it was textured everywhere except inside the Radio inset. 
Is this how you are going to do the master or just Texture the whole thing? 

And will it have a spot for the light? (not that mine works anyways) 

http://s303.beta.photobucket.com/user/xtc-9k/media/510%20DASH%20STUFF/IMG_6734_zps2c5977c0.jpg.html

• Like 1
I started off with this concept originally but multiple tooling costs and fixing methods kinda shut it down.. but having a generic base to work from where you can insert sheet metal plates cut to suit is a possibility.

However in the end, I was trying to maintain the OEM look as if it was installed by Datsun itself - the textured look will finish this off nicely.

Stay tuned as i might look at this in the future but at this stage, i need to sell my current stock before investing in another set of tools/parts. plus I've got a few more ideas to get into...

I'm fairly certain that this will make it's way into my car very soon. I love this mods like this and can't wait to see what you've got cooking for next time!

• Like 1
BTW, on the original Center Radio Bezel, it was textured everywhere except inside the Radio inset. 

Is this how you are going to do the master or just Texture the whole thing? 

And will it have a spot for the light? (not that mine works anyways) 

http://s303.beta.photobucket.com/user/xtc-9k/media/510%20DASH%20STUFF/IMG_6734_zps2c5977c0.jpg.html

Interesting point John, the original dash had a definite line where the texture finished, and the smooth surface began. Checking this out further it was probably done due to the injection moulding process.   I will paint a couple of RHD variants and see what works best. i think i'll leave the gauge faces alone, but texture everywhere else.

There is no provision for a light as all gauges are supplied with internal lighting. didn't seem necessary to add back in, plus it was another part to worry about, increased costs etc etc.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick Update:

The texturing has been applied, and ready to send back to get the production parts made. Please note that it is very difficult to replicate the original texture, but as you can see it is close.

Parts will be ready to ship in around 4-5 weeks, so please remember the pre-sale is still on, so get in quick before the price goes up.

Cheers

heres a link to the pics.. will post up shortly.

http://www.gilsonproducts.com.au/textur ... n-console/

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Finally the dashes have arrived!! will be working over the weekend to get the pre-orders out by Monday first thing. Will inspect each to make sure they are all ok, and box them up ready for individual shipping. The parts look $%!@ing awesome with the texture finish, so stoked how this come out.

Thanks again to everyone who pre-ordered, I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

I'm going to leave the pricing discounted till the end of this month (4 more days) for the stragglers, and then I'm bumping the price back to retail. So if you're still keen, get in quick.
  • Like 1

ttp://www.gilsonproducts.com.au/products/  price $155 AUD + $24.50 shipping to US/Canada.

Thanks Camtron for posting the link  B)  

my buddy who wanted one ordered it last night....so sounds like he is good...thanks

I ordered up, better get on it jon

i want a double din one so im using two to make one....it will be a bastard child i am sure .....but i have a vision..

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.