Siqx's Vertically Challenged K/C

Siqx20

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^^ GREAT pic & a bitch'n looking truck man.

are you running the same size tires front & rear? the fronts look smaller

they are the same front and rear.

love a good rolling shot!!! 

Got that glass for you too bro, once i get my truck back up and running ill bring it down 

sweet i need to make a trip up there soon. so either way we will get together soon!

Every time I come to this thread I am overcome by both joy and sadness. 

why sadness? lol

Haha yeah. Chester's now mine. Once money is in more abundance again she will be going through some changes. Already got alot of new sheet metal to replace the rusted/ dented one. Best part is they paint match ;) have new wheels. Just need tires. And some other goodies that will go on once I have more time and skrilla.

• 2 weeks later...

Been milking the procrastination bug a little bit lately. Have part that need to go on. More parts lined up that I need to pick up. And lots to do before canby. But for now I think I will just sit here and enjoy my Datsun some more

null-15.jpg

• Like 2

To be honest I don't have the dust covers on. They were not on the truck when I got it. I have the truck up in the air pretty often so I just keep a eye on them. I'm going to figure something out eventually. But for now I don't care much lol

i think you have to run a spacer.

also you have to bust the clippy tabs off the nissan emblem, and glue em on the cap. the clippy tabs stick out too far.

might have to take a hammer to the dust cap too..

i had titans on my luv, and thats the only way i got the caps on..

It's the attention to the little things. I got this stuffed full of useful first aid goodies.

null-17.jpg

In other news. 19 days till canby. Things to do:

•finish headlight swap and conversion

•install Datsun mud flaps ;)

•install weber and get it dialed in

•install new IR alternator

•clean seats

•adjust valves

•fix valve cover leak

Time to get busy.

Well I tried again for the 3rd time to adjust these damn valves and it still ticks. Fuck it. Time to build a fresh head. Also installed my optima yellow top. Little steps closer to being ready for canby.

Welcome to an L-motor. Almost all of them will have a tick. With a brand new cam, good lash pads, a minor tick is about all you'll be able to pull off anyways. Don't stress over the tick. Mine has done it for years and you get used to it. As long as the valves are set correctly just make sure they aren't changing lash on you.

20w50 is what L-motors like around here. I ran 10w30 in the winter. The tick was louder @ temp because of such a minor difference... all is still good in L-head land though!

How did you adjust them, at the cam lobe settled or at the lash pad?

Adjusted them hot at the lobe. I know that they will always tick. It's just gotten worse over the last month I feel. Maybe it's the warmer temps. I have been running 5w30. Next time I change zee oil maybe I will up the weight. Just had to give it one last college try I guess. And yes I like my wheel too :). It's getting old tho. Some of the stitching it starting to come loose and such :( I will address that later tho.

• Like 1

I have been running 5w30.

to light exept in the dead of winter maybee   I always ran 20/50  try to get oil with zink in it too as it lubes much better than the new epa shit thats here in Cali

5w30 is way to thin for an L motor. Manuals call for 20w50 down to freezing temos if I remember correctly and 10w30 is the next step down. That is probably why its making funny noises. If you check your oil pressure I bet its lower than it should be as well at running temp. I always ran 20w50. The manual told me so. I wouldnt feel bad about running Delo400 except now that they went to the low emissions bullshit they cut the ZDDP out of it. It is still a high detergent oil though. If youre going to run dino oil I would stick to the Chevron. Its 15w40 so its only a tad lighter than what it calls for. On a rebuild I would surely stick to synthetic though. Marginally more expensive. I think Mobil 1 is $25 at Walmart. The Delo or Chevtlron stuff is $15.97 I think.But calculating oil life its not really a huge difference. My L20b is still clean and shiny inside after years of abuse and fuel wash lol. Ive seen half the mileage with dino oil be yellow brown or black. And you know how much of a tight wad I am about things being clean.

But for reals yo. 5w30 is like water in an L motor. Id only run that light on a very tight rebuild. And prolly only for a few thousand miles. Break in on SAE30.