carburetor options for the J13

highdesertdatsun

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The J13 uses the same bolt pattern as a L-series, so the A-series carb would be too small. Lot of work for a carb that's getting rare as well.

If you can find one, a Weber 34DFT fits right on the manifold, though you will have to home-make linkages.

The 32DGV will be very close to the valve cover, but it will work. Tuning the idle may require jet changes but maybe not.

• Like 1

So I could get a weber progresive kit for say 68 510 L16 .and it should work.

I can jet it.  I had one on a low reving 1300 vw type one engine. but I am at 6000 feet.

the stock one would be best though. if any body has a stock one I would buy it or trade.I

have all types and kinds of car parts. from amercanmotors to zepher . no I realy dont have zepher parts

heck cant even spell it . small block chevy performance parts aswell . thanks for all the info atleast i can find somthing.

the starter has proven to be a very hard thing to find. gasser 520 may hook me up. thanks again

• 1 month later...

Contact Pierce Manifolds.  I buy all my Webers & parts from them. they are familiar with the J motors.

I have a DG 32/36 that I am rebuilding for Burrito 213's NL320 with a J motor in it.  He said the motor handle the 32/36 just fine.  When I tear it apart I will note what size jets and all are in it.  Once you get a Weber setup correctly they are a simple & trouble free carb.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/

• Like 1

The J13 uses the same bolt pattern as a L-series, so the A-series carb would be too small. Lot of work for a carb that's getting rare as well.

If you can find one, a Weber 34DFT fits right on the manifold, though you will have to home-make linkages.

The 32DGV will be very close to the valve cover, but it will work. Tuning the idle may require jet changes but maybe not.

The Ford Fiesta was iold stock with a Weber 32/34 DFT  If you can source one Pierce Manifolds has a parts break down for them.

• 5 years later...

As Charlie69 posted, Pierce is THE source for Weber carb stuff and knowledge. Visit my 320 build page (page 6) for my address of this problem you have. To see photos, if Ur using Google Chrome, I believe you'll need to download the Photobucket fix app to see the photos.    

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj/related?hl=en

I drew the adapter up for the carb and had it made in machine shop. I mounted the carb backward to normal orientation as the choke unit will not clear the rocker cover mounted normally. The pierce manifold sets the carb several inches away from rocker cover so that choke will clear but on the 320 this necessitates blocking off the heat riser cavity in the exhaust manifold. I'm not sure how the heat riser issue is for the J13 in the 520 pickup. Seems that after I had the carb mounted I discovered that an adapter to Weber/Redline mounting plate for Datsun 1200 might work for you.  

I also jetted the idle jet and main jet down one size for my 1200cc E1 engine and it is doing fine. I could probably jet down one more size and be even better. You can get a master pack for the 32/36 Weber that has a variety of jets and other goodies for about $55 if you like playing around with it.

32-36_Carb_Adapter_Plate.jpg

Studs (5/16-18 NC thread) screw into the two lower tapped holes and through the .332 diameter holes at top (and into the manifold) to mount carb. 5/16 cap screws in the two counterbored holes just up from bottom screw into the other two holes in the manifold. Keep in mind, due to the sizes of the ob-round opening in the adapter, the carb mounts backward (secondary or larger venturi closer to engine) in relation to normal mounting.

• Like 1

I went back and checked my records & parts and looks like i reduced the main and idle jets on the primary side by two sizes. Off-the-shelf main was .140 and I downsized to .130. Idle jet was .060 & I downsized to .050. Probably could reduce the secondaries also. This carb will efficiently run up to at least a 2 liter engine, I believe. The only modification that I did on the 1200cc E1 engine was a .060 overbore and had the cam reground keeping stock overlap and duration and had .050 lift added (at the valve). 

I don't know just how a factory stock E1 in good condition ran (I drove mine, which was worn out, for a year while I gathered parts and info) but I'm very pleased with how it runs now.

I dealt with Steven at Pierce Manifolds when I was doing this project.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Get a Weber DGV and a manifold for an MGB. Bolt right on. There might be interference with the exhaust manifold, depending on which one you have.

I have a Mistubishi forklift and the carb on that has problems that I can't fix. A replacement carb is $1200, so not going that route. I bought a new PICT carb for a VW beetle and am going to machine an adapter plate to install it. A forklift doesn't need a big carb, actually a smaller one would be better. The PICT carb is tiny and cost only $90. It'a about as simple as a carburetor can be.