How do I remove a B210 dash cap/ dash face?

Raggleflaggle

I need to reattach the acclerator cable to the spedometer, as well as a good bit of wiring, I've taken out all the screws i can find (and double checked my mechanic's manual) on the dash face, and the entire plastic piece is held in soley by the radio.... and the leather dash cap. the radio dictates that the dash face be pulled out parallel to it, but the lip of the dash cap stops the plastic from being pulled out, and vice versa. the dash face is intact and so is the dash pad, is there any way to remove it without just prying it out from under the leather cap and hoping that 35yr old plastic won't snap?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's more like the radio is semi-slanted. (it also did not come with knobs) if i could remove the entire radio, would that work? as far as i can tell the screws for it require the dash face to be off..
so you're saying the face will pop down and then i can pull it away from the entiree assembly?

id need to see a picture, i have a stock radio and if i recall correctly, there is only one philips head at the bottom of the radio that secures it (maybe you need to pull out the ashtray to see/feel it?).   this was awhile ago mind you, but there is a way to remove the face without removing the pad.  just keep looking for what your missing you finding eventually ;)

I need to reattach the acclerator cable to the spedometer, as well as a good bit of wiring, I've taken out all the screws i can find (and double checked my mechanic's manual) on the dash face, and the entire plastic piece is held in soley by the radio.... and the leather dash cap. the radio dictates that the dash face be pulled out parallel to it, but the lip of the dash cap stops the plastic from being pulled out, and vice versa. the dash face is intact and so is the dash pad, is there any way to remove it without just prying it out from under the leather cap and hoping that 35yr old plastic won't snap?

Do you have a Factory Shop Manual for your car? If not, I would suggest that you get one. Why guess at what to do? :)

i do, but it just tells me everything to remove all the upward facing screws in the dash face (obviously) then headlight knobs, radio knobs, etc. and then take the steering column cover off. the next step says something like "pull the dash face free from the dash assembly." or something like that,wich makes me think that i should pull it out level. but then, same problem. the cap prevents horizontal movement and the radio prevents vertical movement.

563509_4904187639732_58702037_n.jpg

i can see where the screw is on yours, bit i don't see where mine is...

on a side note, what is the point of the little black bit? it looks like a release of some sort....

23376_4904186439702_377125501_n.jpg

It looks like it is just a retainer bolted on to spread the load and hold it in place. If you could find an interior parts breakdown for your car, it would help. Have you tried the Datsun 1200 site? I believe that they have a section for the B210, but it might not be as detailed as for the 1200.

Pull/pry the fasten seat belt / and rear defrost bezel portion out..   there is one screw in the back of the glove box and you have to have the glove box door open.

Remove the steering column surround,   4 screws there..

the dash will need to be pulled down and out,  its a chore to jockey it around the steering wheel.  Unless you remove that too. 

• Like 1