510 sr vs. modded evo

btdub

So last night I was out in my sr powered 69 510, and as I was pulling out if the market parking lot and modded evo waves me in front of him. So we get to the intersection and he asks what kind of swap I have, I tell him it's an sr. We then proceed down the street to do a few runs from about 30mph. First one, I dump the clutch in 2nd and my wheels spin so I end up 3 car lengths back by the time i hit 70.

Second one same deal he pulls up next to me, and he's at about my fender and he's obviously picking this speed cuz he's getting spool where as I'm at about 2500rpms in second but it's all good fun so we hit it and I mash my pedal and as I get lag for about a second he jumps in front to where I'm right on his bumper. From then on he couldn't pull away and I wasn't gaining so it was dead even all the way to 80.

After that he pulled up beside and I asked him what kind of power he was putting out and he said it was dyno'ed at 350whp. Then he proceeded to say "that thing is super quick man!" I said thanks and returned the complement and we were off.

Just thought I'd share that story, spread a little 510 pride around. Haha

Btw the preceding took place in a land far far away in a time long long ago

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious...as i own, relatively, both cars...what model evo was is 8,9, or 10? With my 10, I'm at 350whp...which comes standard with a few bolt ons and a decent tune, nothing too serious in there. 

Bet it's nice to know that you could give him a run for his money though.

• Like 1

Oops sorry I forgot that part, it was an evo 10. My sr was dyno'ed at 208whp and I never really had a benchmark to compare it to till now. It's never been to the track.

That's a nice garage you got haha, I wouldn't mind that. And yea it's nice lol, forgot my car was that fast, I daily it like a grandma.

Rolling starts are his disadvantage imho. Off the line evos are super quick with that 4wd. You would have a harder time keeping up from a dead stop. At speed his extra weight and extra drive line loss give you an advantage. 

I'm pretty sure I was disadvantaged in some way either way, 40 year old car 2wd, no tcs. It was all good fun nonetheless. But I see your point. it depends on the time loss between how much lag I get at that speed, compared to how quick his launch can be. But I know those awd's have ridikidonk launch capabilities

what the fuck danica ....roll on the throttle ....lol....sounds like a fun race bt yeah rolling starts are not cool....lol plus hes awd..the only reason i mentioned the danica thing was if any one watched the daytona 500...every pit stop .....she was in the first stall and only had to roll across the line to retain her spot and everytime u'd think it was the sat night burn out contest  ...when i read your story i thought of it....she did good but man she could done better if the silly bitch wasn't inept in throttle control....

• Like 2

OT.-Re. driving like a grandma , I made a customer drive my 510 sr20 to paint store so we could purchase his paint ,he has a bunch of old cars 30s Studebaker and a 32 Chevy I painted and a couple more 30s chevies all manual trans, HE IS *%85 years old !He said its a peppy 4cyl.

Ya you had a major disadvantage, a 150hp disadvantage lol. 

But probably a big advantage in less weight. What does an awd evo weigh?

what the fuck danica ....roll on the throttle ...

hahahaha.... once again jockrot this earns a pos+

Mike look at my 1st response thats what I was saying. No super quick 4x4 launch, 4x4 drive line power loss, heavier car, prob wider tires all round etc... All advantages for the 510. 

Both have to worry about turbo lag I call that a wash. 

50 more hp and I bet an evo could be walked just fine on a rolling start. 

The turbo depends, the early t25's are already small but use old style bearings and spools pretty slow by todays standards. The later jap/aus/uk t28's though, are a good size, are BB and spool pretty quick.

By the HP here I would guess its a t25. That being the case upgrading to a bigger turbo would actually be an improvement in spool times and allow running more boost too. I would take that route before I started dropping all that money on dropping rotational mass. On a street car thats not always good either drive-ability wise.  

You find those BB t28's cheap too because its so common for people to upgrade on the sr's.