Why I Like Datsuns

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love datsuns because of the feelings they invoke they arent the fastest cars in the world or anything but when your cruising down a winding mountain road at 70 or so and the car is sticking to the road like glue asking for more as metal blares from stereo made from leftover parts from other stereo jobs nothing can beat that nothing can beat the "nice car man what is it?" you get every time you drive it there not the fastest cars on the planet but there drivers cars if you dont enjoy driving a datsun will change your mind 

because in california u dont need to smog them B)

and there are no rules to what u do under the hood, if its made before 1975 of course

There most certainly are rules for pre '75s. Ignorance of them can still get you fined. They have to have all the smog equipment the factory put on it, you can't remove it , that's against federal law. A replacement engine has to be the same year or newer, and it must have it's smog equipment or if newer than '75? be smogged. Now the laws may be lax or not often enforced where you are, but if a cop is pissed enough at you, you'll be walking home to look at craigslist for emission parts.

he's actually not. he's just about spot on there. only thing I see wrong is that if you swap in a 76 or newer motor in a 75 or older car you aren't required to smog test it.

that said, ALL cars in CA are required to pass the smog requirements and have all their smog equipment. the pre 75 exemption is merely an exemption from the biannual testing. that is to say, we have to pass smog, we just don't have to prove it. however like mike said if a cop ain't happy with u he can send you to the smog ref.

look up the actual laws...read them yourself. not a forum post somewhere on the Internet. read the actual laws word for word. it'll make more sense. there are some small gray areas but I'm on my phone, I'm not gonna write out the laws right now but there would be no point. the most accurate information is the actual legislature....read it...

/rant

edit: for thread/post legitimacy, another reason I love my Datsuns is because no matter what else is going on in life it's still there for you...datsuns are a more loyal friend than even a dog IMO

• Like 2

while I don't have a datsun, these are pretty much the exact same reasons I love my celica.  I only need to break out the big wrenches(17mm and above) if I am doing suspension work.  What bad can you say about a car that sat for almost thirty years and just needed gas and a battery to start!  It is rusty, noisy and a hellofa lot more fun to drive than the work truck(2013 honda Pilot)  Most of the Japanese cars from this time period are the same way.  There are even some hondas that are fun, S600 and 800, first gen preludes to name a few.  Honestly, it is the reliability, ease of maintenance and fun that make these cars so worth it.  Hate to use a cliche', but these cars were built with soul, unlike the cars of today.  You have to actually drive these cars and not just ride in them. 

which reminds me, I need to get the tag updated on the celica so I can start having some fun again!  Sad seeing it sittin in the driveway all forlorn and such.

ill look into it, but by what i have seen i have never seen any one with a pre 75 vehicle get into smog issues.

well in closing, datsuns are just in my opinion the best cars/trucks ever made, good looks, good engineering, cheap parts, u dont need to take them to the dealer cause they have the special equipment to work on your car etc, the list goes forever when compared to modern cars, oh and in my family its like a tradition to own a datsun, so....long live the datsun! B)