Why I Like Datsuns

So, it is early and I set my clock just so I could have a cup of coffee and go back to bed, but before I head off to another slumber, I decide to get on Ratsun. The more I look at all of the accomplishments in these different builds, I begin to get an idea of why I will actually get out and work on my 620 in the rain, but my civic has a blown head gasket from last April...

First off, the group at Ratsun, even the trolls, make it fun to do something to these vehicles. You get regular feedback and usually atleast someone has tried what you are doing, or they have atleast researched it and will usually help out. Another big one is with these vehicles being 30+ years old, you usually have to do a lot to them to actually mess them up. While your personal choice may not be what the average person likes, 90% of the drops/chops/lifts/ect are usually an improvement over the worn out suspension and new engines are a way to keep these unique vehicles on the road.

And lastly (or at least last I can think of while half asleep), these vehicles are simple. I don't have to remove 60lbs of plastic to change the oil filter or worry about breaking the v-tec solenoid connector. If the engine runs like crap, that is my check engine light. These vehicles have more character than the clone cars produced today. I still think it is hilarious that two companies produced the exact same car under different names with different prices, rather than going the old school route and just badging the vehicle in some special way to show that both companies collaborated on the design.

Well Ratsun, why do you like your Datsuns? Because racecar?

• Like 3
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love datsuns because they are sooo simple! And the community that we have here is amazing. Not many other group of car guys will pick you up in bumfuck Egypt and trailer you to their place and throw parts at you to get you back on the road. Datsuns are super reliable as long as you take care of them. 20 years from now when all these hybrid plastic things are sitting behind barns because they broke down and are too expensive to fix, I'm sure our datsuns will still be going strong. You can't just throw a new battery and rig a gas can in the engine bay just to drive your Prius home after sitting for 10 years. That is why I love Datsuns. Simplicity and Communtiy. RATSUN FOR LIFE!!

• Like 1

I was used to 6s and V8s and my first 4 cylinder car was a $50 510 from a pot head co-worker. Couldn't say no to his stupidity. It started as a joke but driving was an adventure to see if it could get stuck on the muddy back roads on off roading in the bush. It never failed to take me where I wanted and always got me home. Not a fan of IRS... on the street it doesn't do much, but off road in mud and ruts it's unbelievable!!! Fun to drive on pavement too, easy figure out what's wrong and get it going, cheap on gas. (really big in the mid 70s) Because of the little 510 I bought a new B210 and later a 6 year old 521 that kept me company for 8 years.  

• Like 1

Because I can keep a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and a 17mm in my glove box, along with a pair of pliers and screwdrivers and fix my car on the spot every time it breaks down.

Also because you can built a 200+ hp reliable motor using nothing but stock parts off random Datsun engines

• Like 1

No smog is a great thing. Luckily smog has not been implemented where I live, but last year a report said that Jones County contributed to the second most smog in Atlanta... Jones County is over 50 miles from Atlanta and is mostly considered a suburb of Macon (also 50 miles from Atlanta)... The cops around here are greedy so I think they want to add smog to the tickets the write.

I love them because they love me....honestly, its true. Jr was shorting out, bypassing the voltage regulator charging at 17.5 volts for 6 months....nothing happened until I went to my first ratsun meet, where it blew up the battery. It was fixed in about an hour thanks to the expert advise of the likes of the keeper's guys (mostly tom). I honestly believe it waited until it was in good hands to blow up. (that or I just never took it on long drives...who knows) 

Also theyre gorgeous. I have NEVER...(i mean not once...) parked my car and walked away without turning around to stare at it while I walk away.

and finally I love physics/mechanics and the simplicity and logic that these cars are put together with is, in my opinion, beautiful

• Like 1
i love mine because rwd carbureted 4cyl. B) and because RACECAR!!!

Indeed, because racecar ftw :)

I love them because they love me....honestly, its true. Jr was shorting out, bypassing the voltage regulator charging at 17.5 volts for 6 months....nothing happened until I went to my first ratsun meet, where it blew up the battery. It was fixed in about an hour thanks to the expert advise of the likes of the keeper's guys (mostly tom). I honestly believe it waited until it was in good hands to blow up. (that or I just never took it on long drives...who knows) 

Also theyre gorgeous. I have NEVER...(i mean not once...) parked my car and walked away without turning around to stare at it while I walk away.

and finally I love physics/mechanics and the simplicity and logic that these cars are put together with is, in my opinion, beautiful

I have to agree with walking away looking back at my truck. Today, just cause I could, I parked beside a lowered 90 civic sedan. The lines of my 620 vs his box civic made his car look like a child's card board race car.

Because I can keep a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and a 17mm in my glove box, along with a pair of pliers and screwdrivers and fix my car on the spot every time it breaks down.

Actually you need an older Datsun! With the exception of the metric nut on the factory battery clamp, I could disassemble and rebuild my 1967 Datsun with only a 1/2 inch wrench. It's in my trunk.

The character that these old datsuns have make them feel alive, Every truck Ive had has its own personality. I feel like they are more than cars and trucks but an extension of their owners. I keep trying other cars but datsuns always drag me back into the understanding that Im a datsun guy. 

Also, datsun enthusiasts seem to be more respectful of one another. Unlike other car enthusiasts, certain cars seem to draw douche bags for some reason. 

Datsuns run and run and run... seems like if you picked a datsun from a junk yard, more often than not it would run with minor coaxing and get you home, it might smoke or something but that fucker will RUN! 

they are affordable, some models (510, Z, Roadster) are a little more spendy from the start, but all in all parts are cheap, and there is always the chance that some old farmer or something is ready to give up their "old shitty datsun" for pennys on the dollar, and you might be in the right place at the right time :)

and finally im different. I could save up for a honda or mustang or whatever but thats what everybody else likes. If I followed all the trends I wouldnt be the awesome individual I am. Datsuns are underdogs, and underdogs are cool. :)

• Like 1

The real reason why I bought my first [and still own it] Datsun is because they were my favorite taxicabs in Tokyo in the 1960s. I noticed that the cab companies associated with one of the "daibatsu" firms always drove cabs made by their company owned firms but the independent "green" color cabs almost always chose Datsun 410 and 411 models. I asked the drivers why. The answer was invariably "Good car! Strong engine! Never break!"

The character that these old datsuns have make them feel alive, Every truck Ive had has its own personality. I feel like they are more than cars and trucks but an extension of their owners. I keep trying other cars but datsuns always drag me back into the understanding that Im a datsun guy. 

Also, datsun enthusiasts seem to be more respectful of one another. Unlike other car enthusiasts, certain cars seem to draw douche bags for some reason. 

Datsuns run and run and run... seems like if you picked a datsun from a junk yard, more often than not it would run with minor coaxing and get you home, it might smoke or something but that fucker will RUN! 

they are affordable, some models (510, Z, Roadster) are a little more spendy from the start, but all in all parts are cheap, and there is always the chance that some old farmer or something is ready to give up their "old shitty datsun" for pennys on the dollar, and you might be in the right place at the right time :)

and finally im different. I could save up for a honda or mustang or whatever but thats what everybody else likes. If I followed all the trends I wouldnt be the awesome individual I am. Datsuns are underdogs, and underdogs are cool. :)

Well put, but next time you find a 510 for pennies on the dollar I call dibs! The only other vehicle I have had that I felt any real connection with was my 89 B2200, but honestly I hated working on that truck. My 620 is fun to work on, and so far, it has responded great to everything I have done.

It is like Datsun's know when they are being cared for so they try harder. I know it is probably just the fact that you are replacing a part that has sat in a feild/barn/swamp/ect for the past 10-30 years, but my truck likes me for it :P