521 Mystery Bearing

Donedreamin

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has a source for these bearings? I know its possible to machine a later gen bearing but I figured I'd try to find the OEM equivalent before going that route! I recall coming across a thread where it was sourced out a signapore? Either way any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which may or may not be the right bearings, as the 620 and 521 bearings have the SAME (major) part number but are NOT the same bearing.  The master catalog is also wrong, listing the 521 and early 620 as having the same bearings (they don't).   They're both 32KB02, but the 620 bearing had a subpart number that isn't usually printed on the bearing. You can't tell the difference easily by just looking at them unless you happen to have both side-by-side.

Which may or may not be the right bearings, as the 620 and 521 bearings have the SAME (major) part number but are NOT the same bearing.  The master catalog is also wrong, listing the 521 and early 620 as having the same bearings (they don't).   They're both 32KB02, but the 620 bearing had a subpart number that isn't usually printed on the bearing. You can't tell the difference easily by just looking at them unless you happen to have both side-by-side.

any way to be sure? Short of pulling my hubs?

The only possible way you'd have the wrong bearings on the truck is to have 620 spindles on it.  The 620 bearings will not work on the 521 spindles without a spacer of some kind. 

It's extremely unlikely that you have 620 spindles on a 521, but you can tell by looking at the back of the spindle while it's on the truck.  The top two mounting bolts that hold the backing plate on are different between the two spindles.  On the 521 and earlier spindles, you'll have nuts on the back of the bolts.  On the 620, the holes are threaded in the spindle, so there's no nuts. 

All the info about the differences between the bearings and the spindles is in the thread I linked above.

The bearings for the 620 drum trucks should still be readily available which is why I created the spacers.

I wouldn't think that the factory part number would be the same.

I guess it's not that clear in the thread.......the 521 bearing does not have the extra long lip on the backside where the seal rides.  Look at the 3rd pic in that thread I posted a link to.  The 521 bearing is on the left and is sitting on the stock spacer that is normally at the base of the spindle.  The 620 looks similar, but the spacer part is built onto the bearing.  Can you get a look at the bearing itself? 

OK, picture time:

wheelbearing1.jpg

Left are 520/521 INNER front wheel bearing boxes.  A 620 box from the same manufacturer is on the right for comparison.

wheelbearing3.jpg

Now out of the boxes, with a more modern 620 bearing as well.  ONLY the left bearing is a 520/521 bearing.  The middle and right are 620 bearings.  ALL 3 have the 32KB02 on the bearing, but the 620 bearings have 32KB02/11B on the inner race only.  Notice protruding boss on the 620 bearings?  The 521 bearing won't have that. 

wheelbearing2.jpg

Closeup of the 521 bearing.

BTW, the 40211-32200 should be the 521 bearing.  Notice mine has that number.  The 620 box has a different number.

• 2 months later...

Only reason i ask was i pulled the outer bearing and it wasn't the same as the new part i ordered, 32KB02. I looked through the TSRM and based on a figure the inner bearing looks to be a bit bigger, before i tear it apart again i just wanted to verify that was correct.

• 1 month later...

I need to change the FRONT INNER Bearings for my 620 1977, its has some KOYO 32KB02/1B, but i don't seem to find them in stores, I only see some of them at Rock Auto but, the picture doesn't look like the one you have here, and as the bearing I have at my desk, I mean, we both have the same Koyo bearing, but the ones in the displayed on Rock Auto web page look different @_____@ omg what do i do??!?!?!??! I need to buy them asap since my truck is on the mechanic I need to buy them so he can place them @___@ wish he was patient enough for the shipping xD, I did find the outer bearings, but not the inner ones @____@

You want the one with the extra protrusion sticking out the back....refer to pics on the first page.  Go back to Rockauto and check this bearing......  BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0513178

...you can see the extra protrusion sticking out on this one.  Call your local parts stores and give them this BA number.....they should be able to cross it to something they carry.  Unless you're in the middle of nowhere....which we can't tell since you don't have a city listed.......you should be able to get new ones locally.