510 Wagon Rear Lowering Kit

Dzaster

I've recently swapped out the modified rear leaves in my wagon to something Flex-Form had on file from Ratsun member Son_of_a_Datsun_Guy's order. The thought of lugging around my family (once the restore is done ;)) did not sit well with me. See pic below for the kink in stock 510 leaf.

20130208_113747_zpsf0636af8.jpg

Before:

8C6DF722-40D9-4104-A744-228F6818F84F-391

After:

20130209_151701_zpsfa172833.jpg

Here's my dilemma, I've stumbled upon a rear disk conversion kit for the wagon with what I think are brackets fabbed by jesusno2--which I do want. I've been told that I'll be needing 2" lowering blocks to clear the e-brake lever of the leaf spring.

Searched a bit and found most people put together there own blocks, wedges, and u-bolts (i.e. here and here).

Wondering if anyone knows of (link be cool too :baby: ) a rear lowering kit for 510 wagon, 2".

Also wondering if I were to get 2" blocks and cut it with like 5 or 6 degrees of angle to help with the diff slap, would I be still be sitting 2" lower or little higher than 2", thus possibly not clearing the e-brake levers.

Lastly, how about some decently priced in-stock U-bolts for 2" blocks? 

The U-bolts in the first post of THIS thread is out of stock.

Has anyone tried THESE? My only reservation is its 10" and there is a reference in the specs of "-18". Not sure what the -18 is in reference too.

My local NAPA has the 9" ones but are $20 a piece--last resort.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help offered up, suggestions/opinions are welcomed as well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not run blocks... increase axle wrap.  Only matters if your running a high torque motor like a KA i guess.

How much are those custom leafs ??  My own setup cost like $250 ... im curious if its cheaper for my friend to just get custom leafs.

You can't use those u-bolts, the 510 axle is 2" diameter.  The 2.5" wide ones won't work !!

The out of stock ones I have cut down on my goon right now...they're the only ones i've seen at 2" diameter.  You can get them custom made locally at some shops usually ... spring shops? some truck place maybe ?

That is the lowest you can go with a stock goon without bottoming the driveshaft ... is your drive tunnel raised?

Think I paid $500 shipped for the springs.

Everything I've been seeing has the 510 axle using 2.5" U-bolts. The "out of stock" ones in the link spec a 2.5" width as well. I guess I need to recheck my stockers on now.

I'm not sure if its the KA with its speculative transmission and custom driveshaft, but with the old springs it sat as low as it did in the "before" pic, and had no driveshaft rub and no diff slap. Could also be the kink put in leaves created such an angle it cleared--bad for U-joint I'm sure.

Think I paid $500 shipped for the springs.

Everything I've been seeing has the 510 axle using 2.5" U-bolts. The "out of stock" ones in the link spec a 2.5" width as well. I guess I need to recheck my stockers on now.

I'm not sure if its the KA with its speculative transmission and custom driveshaft, but with the old springs it sat as low as it did in the "before" pic, and had no driveshaft rub and no diff slap. Could also be the kink put in leaves created such an angle it cleared--bad for U-joint I'm sure.

Sorry, my bad they are 2.5" ...

been a while. 

Im considering it Joel, yes. I'm getting a pretty good deal on a bit of brake parts that id like to make work so I guess if I have to I can raise the driveshaft tunnel elevation.

Think I may give those u-bolts a try and pick up some 2.5" blocks and give it a 5-6" degree angle to angle down the pinion.

graveltrap, I've PM'd you. Can you also tell me what angle the wedge is?

um modified leaf spring or destroyed leaf springs.jesus that stock leaf is garbage.....block kits come with u bolts ...there like 30 bucks.......plan on tunnel mods ....looks good though...angled blocks are only for adjusting pinion angle ....u wont net enough gains to make a difference with bottoming out... pretty sure sodg had slap issues with just the leafs ....two inch blocks, even degreed,I don't think u will gain what u need

those stock leafs are destroyed..... two inch blocks even degreed will still cause slap... sodg i thought was having slap issues with no blocks and ended up tubbing his tranny tunnel....just go to napa or any parts store and buy any blocks, they have u bolts in them for thirty bux ...or go to a truck supply place and they can make them but not cheap....degreed blocks are usually to correct pinion angle .....i dont think it will fix your issue

thank u ratsun for being a slow piece of shit and not posting my comment till i posted the redux ...sorry double post...

I wonder if I'll encounter slap with the little bit of lowering I got from these new springs. Have yet to drive the car.

The lowering kits are generally 3" width U's--I went through and measured a couple parts stores.

However, the rear disc conversion brackets I was looking at, the dude didn't get the bearing spacers. I'm going to go with the only brackets that I'm able to find still in production and use the 200sxMaxima brake parts. Will end up being a couple hundred bucks more, but no need for the 2" blocks and parts will all be fresh.

For axle-wrap, I've considered a few options, and right now I'm leaning towards a torque arm. Flex-form site says they make them as well, but I'm not sure I'm that bent on saving a few lbs.

Another thought was using some torque dampers, but that would be harder to design without disturbing normal suspension travel. Here's an example I found that was said to be factory Ford Explorer.

standard_zpsf21c6b59.jpg

A friend of mine suggested I check out a local spring shop--Hawaii Spring Supply. To my surprise their custom U-bolts were like half the price of the NAPA's prefabbed stuff--which I also I bought. These customs are more what is needed for width and length. I borrowed the rendering with 2" block U-bolt specs from cl72wagon's post HERE. Thank you cl72wagon for sharing that.

I was able to also get from the spring supplier 2" drop blocks with built in 2* wedge/angle. The whole set came out to roughly $75.

IMG950434_zps567c52e1.jpg

I also went ahead and picked up the wagon rear disk brake conversion. I have the missing bearings spacers being mailed out to me by jesusno2.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the kit installed this weekend. Pleased with the results of the lowering block and composite spring combo.

20130309_161211_zps3d42fd22.jpg

20130309_161143_zpsbc140e5f.jpg

However, the 2 degree angle of the wedge block did not prevent the differential from rubbing on hard acceleration. Still need to install the air shocks and fab up some t-bars. From there I'll see about editing the drive shaft tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone used a subaru  gl loyal wagon drive shaft to overcome the need to modify the tunnel? the ea81 drive shaft has the same slip joint and pinion flange as the 510 but is two piece with a steady bearing and a smaller diameter tube. 

has anyone used a subaru  gl loyal wagon drive shaft to overcome the need to modify the tunnel? the ea81 drive shaft has the same slip joint and pinion flange as the 510 but is two piece with a steady bearing and a smaller diameter tube. 

Interested in this. I want to lower my wagon's ass without cutting the hell out of the tunnel. 

Interested in this. I want to lower my wagon's ass without cutting the hell out of the tunnel. 

I did it the Ratty way, used the Belltech 6100 kit from local auto parts store . Its a 2in drop block but the U bolts are 3.25. The problem is with these wider U bolts.They will taper after you squeeze (which requires the grip of a Gorilla) them thru the first shackle bracket holes but will no align with the second bracket holes.

I had to reshape the u bolts almost like the shape of a support ribbon. (Write up to follow wihth pics) on how to modify bolts easily.

If I remember correctly stock U bolts were 3. Summit sells a 2 inch kit for 2.75 axle dia. But its cast iron blocks part# SUM-G740 but can't confirm if its a straight bolt on or also requires mods.

I'm interested in this too. Please post more about this,with pics if possible. Thanks! -Loren

the goon's stock shaft is 49 in long with a diameter of 3in. the subaru shaft is 55.5in in length with a 2in diameter. the idle bearing is 20 in from the front leaving  35.5in to the diff.  bolt to bolt on the bearing is 6.5in  P3240034a_zps7fc37b06.jpg  

P3240033a_zpsdbae6d6f.jpg

P3240002a_zps598cbb01.jpg