Fiberglass header wrap

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DON'T DO IT!!! I know it seems like a cheaper way to keep the exhaust temps down but it causes premature metal fatigue and the tubes will begin to collaps in on themselves you can get a shorty header ceramic coated for about $100-150 bucks down here

-Clayton

DON'T DO IT!!! I know it seems like a cheaper way to keep the exhaust temps down but it causes premature metal fatigue and the tubes will begin to collaps in on themselves you can get a shorty header ceramic coated for about $100-150 bucks down here

-Clayton

I've heard this as well. It cracks what ever you wrap over time and eventually crumbles.

I would also recomend a thermal coating.

sorry to steal your saying phatdave buuut... "pics, or it didn't happen"... :lol:

You really can't be stupid enough to think that i would collect other peoples cracked headers just to prove a point to someone who doesn't know what their talking about-are you?

Header company warrantees are VOID if you wrap the header.Take the hint.

Hey bro, you don't know me or know what I do or do not know... if you wanna call me stupid say it to my face...

You can spout off all the illiterate jibberish you want along with anyone else... I love how people who read something somewhere sometime always think they are gods gift to car community. People like you are whats wrong with forums... don't know SHIT but have an opinion on everything.

You really can't be stupid enough to think that i would collect other peoples cracked headers just to prove a point to someone who doesn't know what their talking about-are you?

Header company warrantees are VOID if you wrap the header.Take the hint.

Hey bro, you don't know me or know what I do or do not know... if you wanna call me stupid say it to my face...

You can spout off all the illiterate jibberish you want along with anyone else... I love how people who read something somewhere sometime always think they are gods gift to car community. People like you are whats wrong with forums... don't know SHIT but have an opinion on everything.

O.K.-so you want to play?Here we go smart-ass:

First off-I didn't call you stupid-i asked you a question.If you replied"no"-then fine.The discussion could have continued.But your limited comprehension abilities stick out like Richard Simmons at a UFC tournament.

Illiterate jibberish?From this comment,you don't even know the meaning of the word "illiterate".O.K.- now i KNOW you're too phucking stupid.

Read?That's funny-I was wrenching on cars long before the best part of you ran down your momma's leg.In fact,i've forgotten more than you'll ever know about cars.:fu:

People like me are what's RIGHT with these forums.I'm here to counter the bullshit know-nothing wanna-be's like you posting BS on the board.

I remember what it's like to have "limited funds" for your vehicles.I will not sit here and let people who are a "safe distance from genius" put up bullshit and waste others hard earned $$$.There are others reading these boards who might get the idea that wrapping headers is a good idea.It ISN'T.Got it?Good.

and dave in the back said everyone attack and it turned into a Ratsun blitz....ratsun blitz.

Quit fuckin fighting.

I asked a simple question..." how many feet of wrap to wrap a short L series header..."

lets leave it at that...M'Kay?...as Mr Mackey would say?!:mellow:

Hey Mike you Canuck ..how are you?!

ok z-train... so you know everything... got it. gratz.

phatdave asked a pretty specific question, I answered it directly. You already admitted you have no expierience with header wrap but yet continue to try to convince us you king dick when comes to header wrap... In the 2 years owning a previous car I NEVER EVER had a problem associated with the header OR wrap. I don't care what you think you know or what you read or what some header "manufacturer" says... I have real world experience with the subject at hand. Get a life... PRICK!

Phatdave... 25 feet should do like 4-5 of those headers. However, if you are uncomfortable with wrapping your header after the above dialog... wrapping the parts you are trying to keep from heat is another option, if you are trying to keep heat away from your floor there are some real nice products specifically for that, if you are trying to protect your brake master from heat the 280zx has a real nice factory heat shield that can be easily modified to fit almost any other datsun, I used one on my old 510 with good results and it only cost me $2 at the local pull-a-part. Good luck dave.

ok z-train... so you know everything... got it. gratz.

phatdave asked a pretty specific question, I answered it directly. You already admitted you have no expierience with header wrap but yet continue to try to convince us you king dick when comes to header wrap... In the 2 years owning a previous car I NEVER EVER had a problem associated with the header OR wrap. I don't care what you think you know or what you read or what some header "manufacturer" says... I have real world experience with the subject at hand. Get a life... PRICK!.

For clarities sake,i do not know everything-i just know more than you.

I did not admit to having"no experience"at wrapping.I said i wrapped headers ON MY car once.If we use your logic,a person has to jump off a cliff before they are allowed to tell people it ain't a good idea.

real world experience?that's the funniest thing i've heard all day-thanks.

You don't care what "some header manufacturer says".And I'M the know it all?

I'didn't know i was in the presence of a header guru.Someone who knows more about headers than Hedman,Hooker,Thorley and the rest.Wow-i'm impressed.

By the way did i tell you that ...YOU'RE WRONG?:lol::lol:

Dave-sorry for the diversion.Wrapping with or without the "w" is really not a good idea.Especially in a moist climate like the Northwest.

Will you guys kiss and make up allready:D You sound like a bunch of Honda drivers.:P

Hey!!!No need to get nasty!!!:D

Back to topic:

From Stahl's website (Q&A)

Should I use a Header Wrap?

NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT. There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun. As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header. The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly. If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will be premature failure of the metal. Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours. We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend. :glare:

From Hookers site:

QUESTION Should I use exhaust wrap on my Hooker Headers?

ANSWER If your vehicle is being run on the street or for extended periods of time, you should never wrap headers. Exhaust wraps insulate the exhaust too much and the exhaust temperature is raised to a level that fatigues the header material causing cracks. :glare:

From JBA's website:

THE FOLLOWING WILL VOID THIS WARRANTY: Use of "heat-wrap

http://www.1tail.com/sa/c/Exhaust_Wrap_Heat_Protection.htm

heres a snip it...

THE TRUTH

Basically, every time you start up an engine the exhaust system pipes heat up and undergo an aging process that is so nominal it would take 50+ years to actually see any kind of change in the metals composition. Exhaust wraps do accelerate this ageing process, but even so it could take up to 30+ years to see any real degradation of the metal "AND" even that would be nominal at best! The same applies to ceramic jet coatings so don't let anyone tell you otherwise (that it's better because it doesn't make a difference).

hmmm... also water boils at 212* F if your header isn't getting at least this hot you got a problem...

and dave in the back said everyone attack and it turned into a Ratsun blitz....ratsun blitz.

Quit fuckin fighting.

I asked a simple question..." how many feet of wrap to wrap a short L series header..."

lets leave it at that...M'Kay?...as Mr Mackey would say?!:mellow:

Hey Mike you Canuck ..how are you?!

Sorry Dave, but this started out kind of s l o w and, well slightly.....:mellow:

I'm fine...Stop interrupting!