How to fill Transmissions

Dat Lurka

This is the fill method for any KA or SR Trans. First obviously drain old oil from trans and replace drain plug. Remove oil fill plug and place drip pan underneath. Grab beer and oil and have a seat in your vehicle. Remove shifter out from trans and pour oil down in through opening. After the second quart start checking if oil is dripping from trans onto pan, there you're trans is filled. Now don't forget to replace that trans fill plug.

One beer job,,ok probably two :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well it may on aircraft engines but our old Datsuns usually have well worn seals. They will easily contain 80w90 weight oil but the newer thinner and VERY slippery synthetic it can't handle. Synthetic will slip through a smaller opening.  I switched to a semi synthetic gear oil for my transfer case and right away it began to get wet. I replaced the seal with a new one and that was that... then the front top one started, so replaced it and everything has been fine since. I always replace the output seal on the transmission every time I take it out they are a cheap $5 investment.

I tried synthetic engine oil and the front crank seal began dripping. As soon as convenient I switched back to regular oil. There's no advantage to synthetic oil in older engines. It either leaks out, gets dirty just as fast or is extremely expensive. A mileage increase, if any, does not even come close to making it worthwhile.

• 1 year later...

I just use a drill with a fluid moving pump and two clear hoses that fit the garden hose fitting barbs.

I like this idea, especially for an undesirable old coot like me. But for others, it kinda seems like it deletes the need for a super fine helper in rivet jeans. Just sayin’...

I will note that on the manual transmissions used on VG30 equipped vehicles - notably Pathfinders, Hardbodies, and 300ZXs, Nissan screwed up the location of the oil fill plug.  It made it possible to only put 3.8 quarts in a transmission that needs almost 5 1/2 quarts of oil in it.  This problem existed on all FS5R30A transmissions through '95, they fixed it for '96, about the time they noticed a higher than expected number of transmission failures.  The Nissan TSB and "fix" was to move the fill plug up almost an inch with a new case, which was great for folks who had it fixed under warranty back in 1998 but not so helpful now, especially for folks using these in engine swapped vehicles.  So, the common shadetree way to "fix" it was to add oil through the shifter linkage.  Yeah, I tried that.  It takes about an hour a PINT for the oil to wick down that way, unless you really want to make your kitchen smell like a rancid egg factory trying to "cook" gear oil to make it thinner.

I ended up just driving the thing up onto wheel ramps and filling it on tilt using a hose, which got pretty close to the extra 1.5 quarts in that way.

The TSB was for 4WD D21 and WD21 (hardbodies and pathfinders) but the issue was noted for any 30A transmissions by many owners.  Some folks have claimed that the 71C transmissions have the same issue, though Nissan never issued a TSB for them about it.  In either case, you want over 5 quarts in the 71B. 71C, or 30A 5-speeds.

In either case, you want over 5 quarts in the 71B. 71C, or 30A 5-speeds.

None of my FSMs suggest over 2 liters of gear oil for the 71B. Any higher and the rear seal is flooded. In fact with the fill bung half way up the side of the case (and filled at 2 liters) it's doubtful another 3.2 liters will even fit. Where are you getting this?

oops.

I was getting some of the opinions off Pirate 4X4 which is where I found the link to the TSB.  But I missed on the capactity.

Because my manual is in PINTS.

I saw 4.2 and thought that was in quarts, being the 30A needed 5 quarts rather than what the manual said  (the same manual says 8.2 pints for the 30A, but I wasn't looking at that).

Since I buy gear oil by the gallon I never actually measured how much went in to any of my 71Bs (I don't have any 71Cs).